1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

Open Book "Firefighter" - Young Miniatures Review

Discussion in 'Reviews , Video Reviews and Open Book' started by Guy, Sep 22, 2011.

1. Guy A Fixture

United-States
    YC1801
    Firefighter
    1/10th scale resin bust - 17 pieces
    Sculpted & Painted by Young B. Song

Fire 01.jpg

With the 10th anniversary of the 9/11 terror attack on the World Trade Center Young Miniatures releases their new "Firefighter" bust in 1/10th scale resin. This bust is sculpted by Young himself and also the box art was painted by Young too.

[ continued in next posting ]

winston, Trep and mark761214 like this.
  2. Guy A Fixture

United-States
    Fire 02.JPG

Fire 03.JPG

Fire 04.JPG

Arriving in Young Miniature's traditional heavy black cardboard box with a clear sleeve around the box to keep it closed. The 17 parts are sandwiched between thick layers of foam with all the small parts sealed insideclear zip-lok bags. The bottom photograph above shows all but one part, the plinth.

Fire 05.JPG Fire 06.JPG

Fire 07.JPG Fire 08.JPG

Fire 09.JPG Fire 10.JPG

Above you see multiple views of the head with the casting block on the top which will need to be removed prior to fitting the hat on his head.

mark761214 likes this.
  3. Guy A Fixture

United-States
    Fire 11.JPG

Fire 12.JPG

Fire 13.JPG

Fire 14.JPG

Fire 15.JPG

Fire 16.JPG

Above you see various sides to the torso section of the bust.

Fire 17.JPG

Fire 18.JPG Fire 19.JPG

Fire 20.JPG Fire 21.JPG

Above you see multiple views of the hat including the underneath where the locator slot for positioning the hat is.

4. Guy A Fixture

United-States
    Dry-Fitting
    Head to torso

Fire 22.JPG

Fire 23.JPG Fire 24.JPG

Dry-fitting
    Head and hat to torso

Fire 25.JPG

Fire 26.JPG Fire 27.JPG

Above you see the head and hat dry-fitted to the torso after removing the casting block from the top of the head.

Fire 28.JPG Fire 29.JPG

Fire 30.JPG Fire 31.JPG

Above you see the separately cast accessories to the bust.

Fire 32.JPG

The above bust plinth fastens up into a pre-drilled hole under the torso section of the bust.

5. Guy A Fixture

United-States
    Additional Box Art
    photographs

Painted
    by
    Young B. Song

Fire 33.jpg

Fire 34.jpg Fire 35.jpg

Fire 36.jpg Fire 37.jpg

Conclusion:
    Another beautiful bust by Young Miniatures. Casting blocks need to be removed with care. Highly recommended.

Young Miniatures
    web-site

R520

6. gordy Well-Known Member

United-States
    A truly magnificent sculpt (y)

Thanks for sharing the parts pics Guy !
  7. Stonewall123 Member

Ireland
    Hi Guys,

While i like this bust a lot I still feel that the brim of the Helmet is way to small

Stonewall123
  8. winston Active Member

France
    Thank you Guy.(y)
  9. Michael Tse Active Member

HongKong
    Not knowing much about the particulars of fire fighting, and purely judging this as a resin kit, I can think of two things and the verdict is buy buy buy.

1. The nose that Young loves most. I am sorry but the day I don't see this nose sculpt from this market leader would be the day I consume some high-end whiskey, because I would be so thrilled. Now that I am a crazy girl kit collector, I am certainly seeing the down sides of very large boobs. This nose is like those boobs. Certainly great-looking. And likely artificial. Just why do I keep bringing this up when Youngs sells well and I collect his works like mad anyway? I don't know.

2. Everything else about the bust leads to the verdict Buy Buy Buy.
  10. Jimbo A Fixture

England
    Great review that shows the helmet size up a lot better then the boxart, which I must admit at first I thought the helmet brim was too small but after seeing this review I now think it's about right, maybe it's just his meathead that makes the helmet look like it may be narrow on the brim, if you have a guy with a thin face and bit of a pin head the helmet brim would look wider(seen this many times) Also I'm not sure but I think that some of the traditional vintage FDNY helmets may have been wider but I'm talking 1940-1960 not year 2001/ 9/11 of the subject in question.

Either way I think it's a great sculpt that I like very much & being a retired Fireman myself ..I can't resist it, so I'll be painting one for sure once it turns up on my doorstep.

Check out the pics so you can make up your own mind on the helmet.

Cheers
    Jimbo

Attached Files:

11. gordy Well-Known Member

United-States
    Thanks for the insight Jimbo!