1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

Finished Prussian Hussar

Discussion in 'vBench (Works in Progress)' started by elvis, Nov 4, 2006.

1. elvis A Fixture

Luca has sent me photos of his Andrea 54mm Prussian Hussar, 1762

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

Thanks Luca..................beautiful work my friend.
  2. Stephan Well-Known Member

Germany
    Marvellous
    on such a face I work and work and nothing happend.
    Beautiful
  3. Sambaman Well-Known Member

United-States
    Very nicely done. Tell me if I'm wrong, shouln't the cords on the uniform be white if he has just the skull on his hat? According to the painting instructions for the Young Miniatures bust of the same subject the full skeleton has the green and the skull by itself has the white cords. I ask because I would much rather do the green cords on mine with the skull on the hat. Still outstanding work as usual Luca!

Jay H.
    OKC
  4. megroot A Fixture

Netherlands
    Luca,

As usual outstanding painting.
    Great work.

Marc.
  5. bonehead A Fixture

United-States
    You are correct sir! Green cords on the black jacket are the distinctive colors of the 9th Hussars, otherwise known as "The Total Death". Their hat insignia is the reclining skeleton which, of course, explains the name total death.

The "Death's Head Hussars", on the other hand, are the 5th regiment. Their braid color is white and their unique hat insignia is the skull and cross-bones. The skull insignia was carried by the 5th regiment alone.

The combination of the skull insignia with green braiding shown here is bogus. It just goes to show: modelrs, do your homework! These are supposed to be historical figures.

The Andrea instruction sheet, as good as it is, does not make things clear. The instructions show no hat insignia at all with the 9th regiment coloring! However, reference to any articles or books concerning the Hussars of Frederick the Great would have made clear this oversight........

The model can be easily corrected. The skull should be carved off and sanded smooth, then the skeleton insignia can be painted on.

Mike
  6. garyjd Well-Known Member

United-States
    Mike, Unfortunately folks overlook these things or depend on the manufacturer to be right. I know this subject raises the hackles of some but the results of careful research is nice to see.~Gary