1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

Review FIGURINITALY PRODUCTION 54mm Ulan Captain of the Lithuanian Tartars 1813

Discussion in 'Reviews , Video Reviews and Open Book' started by Zastrow.cuirassier, Mar 18, 2018.

1. Zastrow.cuirassier PlanetFigure Supporter

France
    FIGURINITALY PRODUCTION
    Ulan Captain of the Lithuanian Tartars 1813
    Tin and lead alloy figurine to be assembled and painted.
    Foot figure 54mm (6 parts)

Sculptor: A. ZAPATERO
    Casting by Metal Modeles
    IMG_8682.JPG IMG_8683.JPG
    The Lithuanian Tartars were Muslim fighters grouped in a unit of light cavalry of the Imperial Guard, created by Napoleon I and having served in the French army from 1812 to 1814. Descendants of Tatar families from Crimea, they were organized into a squadron (who had an imam in his ranks) at the beginning of the Russian campaign, to which they took part under the command of Squadron Leader Achmatowicz. Following the latter's death in Vilna, Captain Ulan took command of this rather ephemeral body, which then took part in the campaigns in Germany and France before being dissolved at the First Restoration.
    June 23, 1812, the Grand Army passes the Niemen
    July 1st, 1812, it seizes Vilnius (Vilna) capital of the Russian province of Lithuania.
    The Emperor, convinced that this part of the newly annexed Russian Empire will easily secede, then decides on the theoretical recreation of a Grand Duchy of Lithuania including the old historical frontiers and the formation of a national army which is following "of the Army of the Grand Duchy of Warsaw. In fact, the enthusiasm of the population is not huge.
    On August 2nd, a call is launched to the lifting of a Tartar cavalry unit.
    On August 24 General Hogendorp, military governor of Lithuania, appoints the first officers.
    The unit is put under the command of Mustafa Murza Achmatowicz, who pays from his personal cassette to equip his men, only one squadron can be organized.
    He then has a major, 4 captains, 7 lieutenants or sub lieutenants and 110 men
    It is set in the wake of the 3rd Cavaliere de la Garde regiment, itself of Lithuanian origin and commanded by Konopka.
    While a large part of the 3rd Light Horse Spear is destroyed on October 19th in Slonim,
    the rest of the regiment and the tartars in formation are in Warsaw
    At the end of the year 1812, only a handful of Tartars remain: the others having succumbed at the end of the Russian Retreat in defending Vilna from the Russian advance. (from the 10th to the 12th of December, where a large part of the unit, including Achamtowitcz, perishes);
    Back to Warsaw retreat
    On February 13, 1813 we find them in Kalisch ....
    At the end of February, 1813, the debris of the unit was with those of the 3rd Chevalleau lancers of the Guard at Posen and Bessière decided to amalgamate them, to the great displeasure of the Tartars.
    On March 22, 1813, it was decided to pay them following the 1st Chevau light lancers of the Guard.
    The operation is carried out only around the 11th of April.
    Our tartars form a famished 15th company headed by the captain: Sultan Samuel Murza Ulan, and sub-lieutenants Ibrahim and Hassan Alny.
    The captain leaves desperately in the depots of prisoners in search of compatriots or even of Russian Tartars to expand his unit.
    Lieutenant Lubanski then provisionally commands the unit. And he must try to re-equip it
    Only one officer and 46 under-officers and horsemen remained on the front! They are in Lutzen.
    At June 20, 1813, there are only 2 officers and 29 men!
    It is the 24th of June that the captain joined the depot of the light Polish lancers at Freyberg bringing back with him 24 unskilled recruits .....
    It is this fifty or so men who follow the battles of the 1st Polish cavalry lancers of the Guard: Dresden in August, Hanau.
    In Chantilly we find them with the Poles at the end of 1813
    December 1813, the Lithuanian Tartars are versed in the 3rd Rgt of Scouts of the Guard.
    With this unit they will make the campaign of France, elbow to elbow with the Polish of the Guard: Bienne, Champaubert, Montmirail, Vauchamps ..... Manpower: less than twenty in active service.

Note: the original Turkish - speaking name of Mirza or Murza means "son of Emir", while the term Ulhan or oglan which has given the name to many units of lancers around the world means "knight" or "noble"

Achmatowicz served in the Army of the Grand Duchy of Warsaw before becoming head of the Tartars.
    [IMG]
    [IMG][IMG]
    The painted figure
    [IMG][IMG][IMG]
    The figure
    IMG_8688.JPG
    IMG_8690.JPG IMG_8695.JPG IMG_8696.JPG IMG_8699.JPG IMG_8703.JPG IMG_8705.JPG IMG_8707.JPG IMG_8709.JPG

A very interesting subject, rarely treated in a figurine, I think it's the second one.
    Critics ? (except for the quality of my photos:whistle: ) it's up to you!
    For me perhaps a beefier embalage ... But it is to say something.
    [IMG]
    oldtrousers, DaddyO, Briank and 12 others like this.
  2. Oda A Fixture

Absolutely fantastic.Zapatero's sculpting is very good,Metal Modele's casting impeccable (as usual) and the subject very rare (to my knowledge the only time it has been rendered in scale before was by EMI a little time before that fabulous company went out of business-sob,sob- so this is a real gem indeed.As for the presentation,you really nailed that Zastrow,good job.

Oda.
  3. Nap Moderator

England
    Hi Luc

Great review and a great subject

Thanks for taking the time

Nap
    Zastrow.cuirassier and Oda like this.
  4. ivopreda A Fixture

Italy
    hi Zastrow

thanks for the review... thanks for the kind words and for the comments... I'm working to improve the presentation....

soon the news
  5. Edorta A Fixture

Spain
    Thank you very much Zastrow, for this complete review, I saw one of this past weekend in Leganes, beautiful figure. I painted some of Figurinitaly last times and This one is in the same quality range.

Military miniatures painted by Eduardo Garcia
    Zastrow.cuirassier likes this.
  6. Zastrow.cuirassier PlanetFigure Supporter

France
    Just in case, for helping in painting :
    [IMG][IMG][IMG][IMG]
    DaddyO, Edorta and Oda like this.
  7. Oda A Fixture

Excellent reference Zastrow!

Oda.
    Zastrow.cuirassier likes this.
  8. ivopreda A Fixture

Italy
    in the èast I did the same figure converting an Historex from the Rigo plate.

Rigo started the planche from an original painting located in Paris, is a representation of the battle of Lipsia.

I searched the painting trying to catch the original details
    Bataille de Leipzig Marmottan.jpg

Hurzan Ulan.jpg

as described in the instruction sheet of the figure it's very strange to see a simple captain of non very important regiment so close to the emperor...