1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

Figure International Magazine to end

Discussion in 'Figure News' started by Oldironsides, May 29, 2015.

1. Oldironsides Guest

United-Kingdom
  2. Nap Moderator

England
    Hi Mark,

I have just got my email , a sad day , it will end on issue 56

Think I need to buy resin to make up for it!

Nap
    Oldironsides and DaddyO like this.
  3. DaddyO A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Oh no - just started to get into it and think about a subscription. . . .why , why, why . . . .:cry:
    Oldironsides likes this.
  4. Figurenfreund66 Well-Known Member

Germany
  5. Oldironsides Guest

United-Kingdom
    I can only think that its a straight commercial decision. As it is published in different languages it must be expensive to produce. I doubt it makes money.

Mark
    tomifune likes this.
  6. Adrian Cowdry Well-Known Member

I got the same e mail. It is sad...I imagine the cost to produce such a high end magazine needed a lot more subscribers.
  7. Babelfish A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    With so much stuff on the web these days (including mags) we probably shouldn't be too surprised. But at the same time this is VERY sad news because I've always enjoyed having an actual paper magazine to hold in my hands and leaf through. For all its convenience and for all the vast amount of stuff accessible on the web, you just don't get that same experience online.

I've never been a subscriber to F.I. but have probably picked up about 2/3 of the issues over the years from shows and other sources. I might now think about filling the gaps and trying to get hold of the ones I've missed, because it would be nice to have a complete collection.

- Steve
  8. Adrian Cowdry Well-Known Member

I agree - actual physical paper magazine is far more enjoyable than on line.
  9. gforceman Well-Known Member

Belgium
    Sad news indeed! Is there now an English figure magazine on paper still available?
    Although I never had a subsciption I do own each issue of it. Had hopes it would still be printed till the day I'll die...

Cheers,

Gino
    Oldironsides likes this.
  10. Adrian Cowdry Well-Known Member

Oldironsides likes this.
  11. Yes sad days.... Malos presagios para nuestro hobby
    Oldironsides and napoleonpeart like this.
  12. Apismo1 New Member

They will be missed. I do feel that a digital format could do wonders for their overhead and distribution.
    Oldironsides and napoleonpeart like this.
  13. Manos Member

Greece
    A high quality magazine, no doubt! However, I never, actually understood the four(?) languages. Come on, who in 2015 cannot read, even with a dictionary in hand - like we did with Military Modelling when we were teenagers - an English text? The Germans? I believe they can; The Spanish? I think so... The French? That's a problem here... but they do have "Figurines", right? I also have a few doubts about the translation. Read, for example, a Military Modelling, and then a Figure International ... :confused::cautious::eek: ... tell me if I am wrong. So, YES, an English version (with better translation) and without so many andrea-paints-based painted figures, would be a good idea!
    Oldironsides, megroot and gforceman like this.
  14. Adrian Cowdry Well-Known Member

Manos

I don't think the translation worried them - run the text through a software translation program and bobs your uncle - I think it comes down to the fact that to publish a magazine is costly and the return not great. As for Andrea painted Andrea figures well surely it's their magazine so they get to publish what they like - much like Mr. Black and all the Pegaso (mainly) figures.
    gforceman likes this.
  15. Manos Member

Greece
    Adrian

Agree with you 100%. I just mentioned the translation issue, as it bothers me as a reader. That was the MAIN reason I never subscribed, I bought only those issues that would be of some interest to me. Anyway, the 'printed' market for figures is in crisis - given the fact that Military Modelling lately does only busts :confused: - I miss the old days with all kind of figures presented there - but I do hope that there will be an new independent voice that would not stick to particular manufacturers.
    Babelfish and Oldironsides like this.
  16. Joe55 A Fixture

United-States
    Well shoot :shifty:!

Like Steve mentioned, I reckon they fell victim to the internet.

I'll miss it.

Joe
    Oldironsides likes this.
  17. Babelfish A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    As a translator I can assure you that it is most definitely not as simple as that! Not if you want something at least half-way coherent and correct.

Simple example:

German: Halten Sie das Bemalen von Figuren für eine Kunstform?

English: Do you consider figure painting to be an art form?

Google Translator: Keep the painting of figures for an art form?

Online-Translator: Do you hold painting of figures for an art form?

SDL FreeTranslation: Hold the painting of figures for an art form?

translate.reference: Do you think the painting of figures for an art form?

... and so on.

And that's just one simple sentence. The more complex the text, the more clauses (and subordinate clauses) you have, the more words with two (or more) possible translations that depend on subject, context etc., the more rubbish it will spit out at you.

- Steve
    Oldironsides likes this.
  18. Adrian Cowdry Well-Known Member

Steve
    I am not undermining you...my daughter has just finished her degre in German and Japanese and intends to go on to be a translator and interpreter. However many of these magazines do not do a proper translation job.
  19. Babelfish A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    I agree that they don't Adrian. But if they relied solely on translation software, it would be a hundred times worse!

The problem is this: Although there are no such laws in place, as a translator you should - strictly speaking - translate professionally only into your mother tongue. Because no matter how proficient or fluent you are in a foreign language, you will never be quite as proficient and fluent as you will be in the language you have spoken since birth. There will always be certain subtleties and nuances missing here and there.

However this doesn't stop people offering their services as translators into foreign languages (more of often than not, these people are not as good or as proficient as they think they are), nor does it mean that all companies bother to seek out professionally-trained native speakers to translate their literature.

Usually it's a cost issue (good translators and interpreters don't come cheap) and/or a question of convenience, so they will just find someone in-house with a "good to passable" knowledge of English as a foreign language, get them to translate it and make do with that, warts and all.

The end effect of this is that they end up with a translation that can be anything from "generally good but with some amusing errors" to "complete rubbish". And I suspect that this is the case with the modelling publications from Andrea and others, many of which have quite clearly not been translated out of Spanish (or whatever the original source language) by native speakers of the respective target language(s).

I see it all the time in my working life. I've lost count of the times I 've been asked to re-translate material that had previously been badly translated in the way I've described above (or worse still, by something like Google Translator) because some company had tried to cut corners by having it translated by one of their staff who studied English at school or university, and who goes to New York every year on a shopping trip (and therefore "speaks English").

A real bone of contention in the language services industry is that unlike in some professions (law, medicine, architecture for example) where there are strict laws and codes of practice etc. governing who can set themselves up as a doctor, a lawyer or an architect, these don't exist in our trade. The result: In theory a monkey with a dictionary can call himself a "translator" or an "interpreter". This has led to a proliferation of cowboys, charlatans and snake-oil sellers within our industry, and this can sometimes be a problem for those of us who are professionally trained and qualified translators or interpreters with many years of experience and who know what it takes to do a proper job.

Best wishes to your daughter in her chosen career. I admire anyone who masters an oriental foreign language.

- Steve
  20. Kevin D. Well-Known Member

United-States
    As they got away from doing strictly Andrea figures, I was becoming more and more appreciative of the magazine. I agree, although I enjoy Figure Painter Magazine in the digital format, its nice to leaf through a "real" magazine. Very sad!

Kevin
    Oldironsides likes this.