1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

Figure Fakes?

Discussion in 'General Figure Talk' started by Mozzy, Nov 9, 2016.

1. Mozzy Member

I ask this as I'm new to figure modelling and in particular don't as yet know what to look for.

Clearly if purchased from the sculptor, or bona-fide company, I feel safe. However; that well known auction site once again carries no end of 'bargains.' Usual blurb, no box or base blah de blah. And can be tempting.

Should I be concerned? I don't have a bottomless pit of money and well, turning a nose up at a bargain is tougher than it seems.

Just wondered

Mozzy
    garyhiggins likes this.
  2. Nap Moderator

England
    Mozzy

There are lots of dodgy companies selling bargains ..at the end of the day it's a personal choice and conscience ....my take on it is if folk was to buy from these then it's a nail in the coffin of the genuine company.

No one has unlimited money but support the genuine sellers.

There are lots of threads on this subject

Nap
  3. Mozzy Member

Thanks Nap I will read through

Mozzy
    garyhiggins likes this.
  4. Forté A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Avoid things listed as 'Tin Soldiers" (not to be confused with Tin Berlin). Those are recasts 99% of the time.
    I find that most genuine sellers will name the make, give the proper name of the piece, put photos of the actual parts, and if they have it a pic of the box too.
  5. Nap Moderator

England
    There is of course our very own part of PF ...market and Commisions ...always genuine and original items from rather charming sellers as well

Bargains to be had as they say !

Nap
    garyhiggins and Forté like this.
  6. Bailey A Fixture

United-States
    Yes, there are recasts (pirated copies) of figures out there. By buying them you hurt the actual manufacturers (making it harder for them to remain in business and continue to put out new figures). You also get an inferior product. A recast is a copy of a copy. In the end it's your choice what you buy, but the painting community generally avoids recasts.

A couple quick tips on spotting on when you buy from an auction site... check the material. If the original kit is metal but the one their selling is resin, that's a recast. Recasts are typically resin not metal, though sometimes the original is resin so that makes it harder to tell. Another check is does it come in the original box? Yes, people do get rid of the boxes sometimes, but an original box should mean you're getting a real kit. And finally, where is the seller located? I'm making a gross generalization here, but it seems recasts often come out of Russia and China. Not all are recasts, but I avoid buying kits from there just in case.
  7. Blind Pew A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Avoid eBay stuff from Russia & Hong Kong and you generally won't go too far wrong.
    garyhiggins, napoleonpeart and Mozzy like this.
  8. Tommy Brown Active Member

Plus ebay figures from China, Thailand, South Korea, Italy, Hungary, Argentina and especially ebay busts from Russia and Hungary.
    garyhiggins and Blind Pew like this.
  9. Mozzy Member

Oh blast; I bought one from Hungary a couple of weeks ago.
  10. Nap Moderator

England
    Hi Mozzy

Yes recasts are out there but if I may say there are genuine companies from for example Korea (MJ) and Altores from Russia .

I know that MJ has had recasts being sold on e bay by Russian and Hungarian based dodgy sellers .

Nap
    garyhiggins and Mozzy like this.
  11. Mozzy Member

I suppose i'd never be able to tell if a recast. I shall be very careful in future; not because I'm a purist but because i don't like anyone cheating by selling fakes :(

Mozzy
    garyhiggins and napoleonpeart like this.
  12. elgreco A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Recasts are easy to spot on Ebay, especially Young Miniatures busts. Young produce their busts in Cream-coloured resin, but recasts are always grey.
    Also, recasters NEVER mention the manufacturer and NEVER have a box, yet still sell them as new. Manufacturer or proper shop listings will ALWAYS list:
    - the Full Proper Name of the kit
    - the Name of the manufacturer
    - the Product Code
    - the scale and material of the product
    and will generally have more than one photo of the product.

Recasts are likely to have some sort of problem, plus there may be shrinkage and ill-fitting parts. Moreover if there is a broken or missing part, you would be unable to request that part from that recaster as they will not have any.

If you suspect that you bought a recast item, PLEASE REPORT the item and the seller on Ebay and launch a claim for a refund explaining that it is a counterfeit kit.

Thanks,
    Celine
  13. Forté A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Is there any way to report recasts without purchasing? I keep spotting loads of Pegaso, Andrea, and Young recasts.
  14. elgreco A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Yes you can report the item without purchasing but unfortunately after that you will be asked to prove ownership, illegal intellectual property use, etc. so it always falls upon the manufacturer to deal with recasters. It's an endless task and VERY time-consuming. You close one down, and 3 more pop up somewhere else.... (and that's not including Chinese ebay which is another story)....
  15. Tommy Brown Active Member

When you see an ebay listing with description as follows and the price is 1/4 to 1/3 of the original, 100% for sure it's a recast:

This Model Kit is Unpainted and Unassembled.
    75mm resin kit.
    castings are very good.
    No box.

Unassembled. All the elements in the set.
    1/10 scale resin bust kit.
    No box.

Resin - you have to glue and paint
    Figure is not in the original box

Description
    Material: epoxy resin
    Size: 1/10 80mm
    Important! Item is unpainted. Picture is painted art work! You need do it yourself!

Paint not included/Base not included,just the figure bust

Package content?1 figure bust

■Condition: Brand New !
    ■Scale:1/16 (120mm)
    ■No kit box and base

Description
    Material: epoxy resin
    Size: 1/32 54mm
    Important! Item is unpainted Unassembled. Picture is painted Assembly art work! You need do it yourself!

Package content? resin model kit
    Great Copy of the original edition, but quality is good,that's why the price is low,please don't compare this with original one!

1/10 Scale Unpainted Bust Resin kit
    The models are supplied as kits and will need to be assembled and painted. The picture illustrates how the model should look once completed. Glue and paint are not included in the kit. Not suitable for children under 14.
    garyhiggins, napoleonpeart and Forté like this.
  16. MrBMB A Fixture

99% of the time if they say no box or it doesn't come in the original box 99% sure it's a recast.
    garyhiggins likes this.
  17. Mozzy Member

Very helpful. I think I wil just return for a refund and report to ebay after showing you the item.
    elgreco likes this.
  18. elgreco A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Mozzy, if you send us a private message on here or an email at info@elgrecominiatures.co.uk, with the Ebay link/name of the seller, we will most probably be able to verify for you if he is a recaster or not.
    Many of us manufacturers and resellers are in communication constantly with each other regarding this matter. We have a whole list of sellers who are known to us as recasters.
    Please do not post the link publicly as we do not wish to give these thieves additional free advertising.
    Thanks,
    Celine
    Mozzy and Forté like this.
  19. Mozzy Member

Many thanks. Done.
  20. Red Five Well-Known Member

United-Kingdom
    I just saw the Pegaso Pretorian full 200mm figure up for sale from Thailand at a third the price advertised as a re-cast! I'll buy one from Historex Agents instead!
    smudger1960, Forté and Mozzy like this.