1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

Fighting Cossack ("Scorpio Models", 1/10)

Discussion in 'vBench (Works in Progress)' started by Martin Antonenko, Nov 1, 2016.

1. Martin Antonenko A Fixture

Germany
    Dear Planeteers!

[IMG]

I decided during the summer, as my next project yet again to paint a Cossack to complement my now quite extensive collection of Cossack figures.

And it should be a bust!

Now it is with busts usually so that they come along very static - they are just simply on their base, and thats it..

But I was thinking of a dynamic as possible bust!

One day I saw this equestrian figure showing an Orenburg Cossack (light blue badges) in the fight ...:

[IMG]

Souch a Cossack in combat would leave also as a bust a very dynamic impression, I thought.

But I did not want a steppe Cossack (their uniform is a little too boring for me), but instead a Caucasian Cossack carrying the famous Cherkesska ...:

[IMG]

For this project, I was able to turn aganai my friend Markus Eckmann ("Scorpio Models"), who is a brilliant sculptor.

We turn our proven practiced division of labor - I researched the details ...

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

... and Markus sculpted.

He sent me then regular photos of his progress, which we discussed and - where necessary - improved.
    Borek, marco55, gforceman and 2 others like this.
  2. Martin Antonenko A Fixture

Germany
    So the fighting Cossack slowly took shape...:

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

Originally, the bust was planned as unique just for me - but in the meantime we both came to the conclusion that the small Cossack in scale 1:10 has become much too beautiful to remain unique.

So Markus will make him commercial.

If you are interested, please contact Markus at "Scorpio Models" ...:
    http://www.scorpio-models.com/gx3/product_info.php?info=p269_cossack-warrior.html

Cheers
    myouchin, Grod, Borek and 14 others like this.
  3. mil-mart A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Excellent sculpting Martin and deserves to go commercial, should be very popular .

Cheers Ken
    Martin Rohmann likes this.
  4. Wayneb A Fixture

United-States
    If you like the subject,.. Have your own sculpted just the way you like it.Very well done......(y)

Wayne

Edit.....Well done Martin and Markus
  5. Jimbo A Fixture

England
    Looks great, love the action pose(y)
    Cheers
    Jim
  6. peedee A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    A wonderful piece.

Paul.
  7. valiant A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Nice bust, Martin. Excellent movement!(y)
  8. Kevindunne Active Member

United-States
    Tried ordering online...they do not ship to the USA.....any ideas?
    clrsgt likes this.
  9. Martin Antonenko A Fixture

Germany
    Hi Kevin

I will talk to Markus.

----------------------------------------------

2nd day, 2nd November 2016

If you open the bullet-filled little carton in which the Cossack is delivered to the house, you will be equally happy!

On the one hand, because the parts are protected with foam rubber - there is no "break" to report!

Second, because the cast of the parts is absolutely without fault and blame - there I had quite different things in my hands.

How clean the parts are cast, you can see in the photos well ...:

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

Only one thing can be said about the fittings: They fit perfect!

In addition, Markus has drilled in all parts already suitable holes for later pinning, which makes the assembly much easier ...:

[IMG]

By the way:
    Who misses on the head the mustache ends, be said that these are separately casted as small parts. You can see them on the small right ...:

[IMG]

Thus, the beard tips can be attached later - after the painting of the head - and avoiding breaking them off. A clever solution!

At the back of the cossack head there is a small sprue, which can not be theoretically removed, because it is later completely concealed by the furry cap ....:

[IMG]

As a little finger exercise - after a long pause to come back so to speak and get used to the material - I've ground the sprue quickly ...:

[IMG]

Then I use the pin hole in the neck by sticking a toothpick here and mounting the head on a cork for better handling ...:

[IMG]

The toothpick tip in the neck is fixed with "Uhu-Alleskleber" - you can easily get rid of the connection later, and can use the hole during assembly for its actual purpose.

[IMG]

As a last step in my work today, I have primed my head. For this I take "Army Painter Gray", a spray, which is sold as "gray", but in reality is rather anthracite.

And the darker the primer, the better the possible casting or modeling errors, where you have to work.
    But here there is nothing to discover!

So:
    Priming on it - and then the head for today to dry on the side put ...:

[IMG]
  10. Nap Moderator

England
    Martin

This is a very dynamic piece and a great idea from you and well done to Markus for sculpting and casting

Following this with much interest

Nap
  11. Martin Antonenko A Fixture

Germany
    Markus sculpted and casted him, I had only the idea and researched the details, Nap.

Cheers
    napoleonpeart likes this.
  12. Nap Moderator

England

Apologies reread the thread ..will change my post !

A great subject and really looking forward to seeing how you do this

Nap
  13. Martin Antonenko A Fixture

Germany
    Hi Kevin!

Markus sent you an email to solve the problem. Have fun with the beautiful Cossack!

Cheers
    napoleonpeart likes this.
  14. Nap Moderator

England

Life gets better Martin..off to check!

Saving all the references you use as well!

Nap
  15. sd0324 PlanetFigure Supporter

I just may have to paint my first Cossack. I like this a lot.

Steve
  16. megroot A Fixture

Netherlands
    Beautifull bust. Its good that he is gone commercial.

Marc
  17. Martin Antonenko A Fixture

Germany
    sd0324 likes this.
  18. Martin Antonenko A Fixture

Germany
    3rd day, November 3, 2016
    It has a bit of Harakiri, after a long pause, with the most important - and most difficult - part of a character to catch: the eyes!

On the other hand:I always need my eyes to find "access" to a new figure!

Only when she looks at me and thus gets her own "character", I can paint her!

And so I took these colors ...

[IMG]

... and painted the eyes...:

[IMG]

[IMG]

Tomorrow I will have a trip to a workshop at the City of Goslar over the weekend. There I will continue the head with Oils..

For a long time, I was not so glad to be able to "sink" into painting today and distract myself, because today is one of the saddest days of my life:

My tomcat, "Wanja," who shared with me 14 years of his life, died of cancer this morning. I had already made an appointment with the veterinarian this afternoon to get him to sleep, for the cancer visibly began to torture him.

Now "Wanja" has given me a last service and has taken the decision about life and death away from myself. He passed away peacefully at his favorite place - in the bed next to me - and I caressed him to the end.

Farewell "Wanja". Thank you for sharing your life with me!

[IMG]
    Borek likes this.
  19. sd0324 PlanetFigure Supporter

Martin, sorry to hear about your feline companion. Looked like a fine cat.

Steve
  20. Martin Antonenko A Fixture

Germany