1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

"fighting charlie"

Discussion in '"Today in History", Literature & Media Review' started by rado2828, Jun 8, 2014.

1. rado2828 Member

2. Steve Well-Known Member

United-States
    I would say that the uniform is hussar dress. The sash, Hungarian knots on the breeches, the pelisse (the furry jacket hanging from his shoulder), busby (furry hat) and the curved saber are all typical hussar items. As an officer all of this stuff would have been private purchase, so the details are his own and the outfit does not follow regulation. I think.
  3. JonH Active Member

That's an interesting one. It's not a regulation british uniform that I've ever seen though certainly hussar. It's possible that,as Wellingtons ADC in Spain,he was performing detached service with the Portugese or Spanish army and wearing uniform to suit but I'd go with Steve's suggestion that this is his own design. Google tells me the picture was painted in 1812 by Lawrence who was a friend of Vanes so possibly something they cooked up between them.

Jon
  4. valiant A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Looks like it could be a British Dragoon or even Light Infantry officers' jacket with the lace on a bias. The issue pelisse of the era usually had dark fur trim, but, as has been said before, this is probably an own financed "uniform" and, as such, would be likely to be whatever he chose!

Steve(y)
  5. rado2828 Member

Hi guys thank's for the information
    in 1810 he was appointed envoy extraordinary to the prrusian court in Berlin and remained on the post until end of the war in 1814 that my have something to do with the uniform .I have seen in copule of books mentioned about 'uniform of general officers of hussars' but i can't finde anything about it anywhere
    regargs rado