1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

WIP "fighting Bill"

Discussion in 'vBench (Works in Progress)' started by Richie, Oct 5, 2012.

1. Richie A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Hi All,

My latest project is based on the illustration below, after first seeing this picture I always wanted to make this as a model and now here's my version.
    CIMG5078.JPG

BACKGROUND TO THE MAKING OF THE MODEL.

The striking representation in the Illustrated London News of 6th September 1879 of Capt. Lord William Beresford’s encounter with a Zulu during the reconnaissance of 3rd July 1879. The Zulu scout turned at bay. Beresford parried his spear and, with the impetus of his galloping horse to aid him, stabbed him through the shield and straight into his heart.
    The captured Zulu iklwa (spear) was to stand as a trophy in the corner of Beresford’s mother’s drawing room.
    “Fighting Bill” as he was known, was Lt-Colonel Buller’s staff officer and a notorious bruiser and all round sportsman.

Beresford winning his V.C.

3rd July 1879 Beresford accompanied Buller’s reconnaissance across the White Mfolozi River. Buller’s troops were led into a skilfully executed ambush by Zulus, during a hasty retreat towards the river, Sgt. Fitzmaurice of the mounted infantry was unhorsed, and Beresford turned to help him. Fitzmaurice was stunned by the fall as his horse rolled on him, and at first not heed Beresford’s urgings until he famously shouted;

“Come along, you bloody fool. If you don’t I’ll punch your bloody head for you”

As Fitzmaurice struggled to climb up behind Beresford, Sgt. O’Toole of the Frontier Light Horse came to their assistance, holding the Zulu’s back with his revolver. Fitzmaurice was carried to the safety of the White Mfolozi River by Beresford and O’Toole. For this action Beresford and O’Toole both received the Victoria Cross.

The pose of the horse was again important and was adapted from a Verlinden Napoleonic horse. Again a lot of grinding with the dremel to remove the unwanted blanket and tack.
    CIMG5076.JPG

So far I have managed to scratch a shield and iklwa although not yet completed. I have the Zulu more or less ready and primed and the basic pose of Beresford but need to sculpt arms, legs etc.
    Hope you like, all comments always greatly received.

Must take advantage of my good fortune, thanks for looking in.
    cheers
    Richie
    CIMG5050.JPG CIMG5049.JPG CIMG5064.JPG CIMG5065.JPG CIMG5066.JPG CIMG5067.JPG CIMG5068.JPG CIMG5070.JPG CIMG5071.JPG CIMG5073.JPG CIMG5074.JPG
    balder, Steve, Ferris and 6 others like this.
  2. bagelman1952 Well-Known Member

England
    I wait with baited breath to see this progress
  3. Edorta A Fixture

Spain
  4. Richie A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Hi Ken - Thanks for dropping in, I started this in an instant as I was all painted out and needed a rest from the brushes. I have 6 projects now I am jumping between, saves me getting bored.

Hi Eduardo - Thanks for dropping in, I made a cardboard template and then rolled out a thin layer of milliput over the template. I trimmed the edge with a scalpel and then made a former from balsa wood to impress the front of the shield. The shaft at the rear will be made from cocktail sticks and milliput.

cheers
    Richie
  5. Joe55 A Fixture

United-States
    Now this is gonna be cool!

Joe
  6. Joe55 A Fixture

United-States
    Now this is gonna be cool!

Joe
  7. Figurenfreund66 Well-Known Member

Germany
    Really cool idea - i`m looking forward !

Cheers

Hendryk
  8. Helm A Fixture

England
    Going on this Richie I am going to break both your legs just to see what you can churn out :LOL: Cracking job again mate will be interested in this one. I love the period and the characters of the age.

Steve
  9. housecarl Moderator

United-Kingdom
    Another ambitious project mate.
    Carl.(y)
  10. Kreston Active Member

United-States
    Looking forward to watching your progress.
  11. Ferris A Fixture

Terrific work so far Richie! Much drama and action, I like that (in a model!).

I hope you keep progress up on this one, as I'd love to see it completed.

I hope you don't mind me bugging in, but before you sculpt the arms: don't forget to raise and move backward his right shoulder like in the painting. I'd hate to make this remark after you've done the sculpting...!

Cheers mate,
    Adrian
  12. Edorta A Fixture

Spain
  13. Richie A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Hi Joe & Hendryk - Thanks for looking in lads, you should check out the Illustrated London News loads of inspirational cool stuff to be had there.

Hi Steve - I wish you would hurry up with that sledge hammer mate.:blackeye:

Hi Carl - I like to try and push myself abit now, just wish I could nail the painting.

Hi Kreston - Thanks for looking in mate, it will get finished, it's just a matter of when, I'm juggling 6 around at the minute. Some cool stuff on your site by the way.(y)

Hi Adrian - Glad you like my project and thanks for looking in. You are right on the money about the arm position, it will be a few days before I next post as I want to get the arm, body and leg positions stop on and packed out with putty, so the rider sits correctly.

Hi Eduardo - No problem mate, anytime.

cheers
    Richie
  14. 1969 A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Cracking idea for a figure build mate, nice and dynamic, looking forward to seeing more of this one.

Steve
  15. Richie A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Hi Steve,
    Thanks mate, I told you I have loads of ideas. I just wish I could sculpt.:D

I have been working on the shield, knobkerry (don't know if I will use this), throwing spear and bulking out the rider Capt. Beresford. Tomorrow I will rub down the figure and give it an undercoat, then I can see how it looks and what wants rectifying. Hopefully the rider does not look too bad but any pointers on the sculpting front would be appreciated.
    cheers
    Richie

CIMG5088.JPG CIMG5090.JPG CIMG5098.JPG CIMG5092.JPG CIMG5095.JPG CIMG5094.JPG
    Ferris and billyturnip like this.
  16. Ferris A Fixture

Hi Richie,

Starting to come together, very cool.
    I do think you need to raise the right shoulder and move it backward a bit. Possibly the right arm needs to be raised a bit as well to accommodate this. The original illustration depicts the anatomy very well.
    Hope you don't mind my critique.

Cheers,
    Adrian
  17. Richie A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Hi Adrian,
    Thanks for the reply, I do not mind the critique at all mate. When it dries and I can undercoat it, as things look totally different to me when undercoated, I will have another look. If it's not right and I know in my heart of hearts something is still bugging me about that arm - I will cut all the putty away and start again.
    If I raise the arm, then I will need to bank up the Zulu to compensate so the sword still lines up.

Do you think I should raise the upper part of the arm and angle the forearm down???

cheers
    Richie
  18. Ferris A Fixture

Hi Richie,

Looking at the original drawing I don't think you should tilt the arm down much. The direction of the forearm should be more or less in line with the sword thrust, if you know what I mean. Main point about the shoulder is that there now is a slight V shape, when you follow the line from the neck, over the shoulder towards the arm. Again looking at the drawing, this should actually be a very subtle inverted V. You can see this happening if you raise your own arm like this in front of a mirror.

If you get 'allignment issues' with the Zulu, is it possible to raise the groundwork under his feet a bit?

Great project you have here! Excellent idea to translate this drawing to 3D. It makes a great diorama.

Cheers,
    Adrian
  19. Gaudin A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    High Richie

Its looking very good. One point I d like to chip in is that the whole torso needs to be tilted sideways AND forward. Current pictures show he is almost upright in the saddle. He is doing a stab so whole bulk of body needs to go into the thrust. You can also see that he stands in the stirrups = legs are almost straight - where as in your picture from horseback - legs are relaxed and he is sitting.
    Thats why your Zulu is evading his doom:D "Beresford, put your back into it, old chum!"

There is no feel of motion at the moment compared to your reference picture, at the moment its almost a pointing , not stabbing. Actually it probably needs even more tilt than I drawn, looking at it again and wanting to get him even lower :) but I dont know how much conversion will allow this

Keep at it, its going to be Ace

PS. Also, since I started looking in more detail - see what you think about folds around R arm - the tension of fabric pulls in opposite way. Put a sweatshirt or a jacket on, get the pose and get someone to take few pics of yourself -you will see the difference.

Attached Files:

Richie likes this.
  20. smudger1960 PlanetFigure Supporter

United-Kingdom
    This looks great richie,i look forward to seeing more progress (y)

Brian