1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

Completed Fieldgendarmerie - Russia 1943

Discussion in 'vBench (Works in Progress)' started by smudger1960, Aug 30, 2011.

1. smudger1960 PlanetFigure Supporter

United-Kingdom
    Just recently completed another bust from Young Miniatures,this one is the german fieldgendarme WW2.
    Before starting the kit i had the idea of portraying him in front of some road signs,i recently saw a picture showing a fieldgendarme attached to an SS motorized division directing movements perhaps at a road junction.
    I feel we modelers are very limited when displaying busts as you cant incorporate any ground features or buildings,however what i wanted to portray here was part of the wooden telegrapgh pole behind the bust with the road signs appearing above head height hopefully giving the impression that this is only part of the pole :confused:,i'm getting confused trying to describe this,i will leave my fellow modelers to cast their judgement on this.
    The road signs are from the Verlinden range and all i did with these was add some umber oil stains and micro balloons to simulate the snow.
    As most of you will be aware by now i like to add some weathering to my subjects and i wanted add a light frosting of snow on the upper surfaces of the clothing and equipment where snow would fall and hold,this i added again with some micro balloons and titanium white oil paint,the photo i was working from showed this and i wanted to capture that moment,i cant show the photo because i've returned the book to my local library :(.
    as for the helmet,alot of german soilders fighting in russia had their helmets white washed,after the wear and tear of campaign use the original helmet paintwork would start to show through,to accomplish this i undercoated the helmet in a steel grey colour followed by applications of white still allowing the steel colour to show through,once dry i applied applications of GW sepia / mud inks in thin washes,this was then followed by small applications of umber and sienna arround the helmet vents where dirty water would appear causing streaks,once this was completed and dry small applications of titanium white was added with small pieces of sponge applied with tweezers,i did add some microballoons to the top of the helmet as well.
    All underpainting was done with acrylic paints and finished in oils.

Hope you like it,all critisism and coments most welcome.(y)

Brian

Attached Files:

2. ACCOUNT_DELETED A Fixture

Canada
    Very clever and effective presentation. I like it a lot more than a lone bust. It wouoldn't work in every instance but it does here.....plus great snow effects!

Colin
  3. Nick Majerus Well-Known Member

United-States
    Brian,

Very nice! I also like the snow!

Nick
  4. pmfs A Fixture

Portugal
    Hi Brian, great weathering effects in the gendarme.
    Particulary like very much the road signs behind, but I have a doubt, why you add an SS insignia in the helmet?
  5. Ron Tamburrini A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    That looks really great brian and adds a new dimension to the bust with the road signs.
    You may have set a precedent here ,figure looks great and the frost or harr on him works well.
  6. smudger1960 PlanetFigure Supporter

United-Kingdom
    Colin / Nick / Pedro - many thanks for your kind comentss.

Pedro - I saw this in a photograph and thats the only reason i added it,i looked this up on the internet because i thought they wer'e only attached to the wermacht but it seems some fieldgendarme,s wer'e attached to some SS divisions in russia and france,i will try to get hold of that book again and post the picture,i feel this may open a topic for disscussion :cautious:

Brian
    pmfs likes this.
  7. smudger1960 PlanetFigure Supporter

United-Kingdom
    Thanks ron i'm glad you liked the signs i feel it adds something to the bust.
  8. pmfs A Fixture

Portugal
    Great Brian, thanks!
  9. kagemusha A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Great work Brian a superb presentation of a great sculpt.

Regards

Ron
  10. smudger1960 PlanetFigure Supporter

United-Kingdom
    Ok pedro :)

Thanks ron,glad you liked it (y)

Brian
  11. housecarl Moderator

United-Kingdom
    Good idea with the signs Brian. I'm sure the bust purist won't like them, but that's life.
    Carl.(y)
  12. Dr Force A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Bloody brilliant Brian.....................end of!
  13. T50 A Fixture

United-States
    Brilliant!!!
    An excellent way to present a simple bust.
    Adds depth to it effectively.
  14. davidmitchell A Fixture

Scotland
    Cracking bust Brian and very different .

Cheers David
  15. kiwi45 Active Member

New_Zealand
    Brian, cracking idea, I thought of this for my recent bust duo but decided against ( I dont know why) I was going to attach the post directly to the bust's, as if they were leaning against it. You may have started something here, I think it gives the bust a story or theme. well done, Les
  16. tonydawe A Fixture

Australia
    Great idea Brian and very well executed. Good to see you thinking outside the square and exploring the possibilities of posing busts with different backgrounds and props.(y)
  17. sarouman A Fixture

Greece
    Several original idea in such a large scale.
    I love this idea I can say excellent
    Congatulation!!!

Alexandros
  18. rheath Active Member

South-Africa
    Excellent !! cool idea with the sign post stub.:p
  19. Edorta A Fixture

Spain
    Excellent! Looks like you've painted the bust and then you left a few hours in the freezer. The effect of frost is very real. It seems that winter continues over your workbench. I think the same as others, on the road signs, good idea.

http://www.mininet.tv/egminiatures.html
  20. sam b Well-Known Member

United-Kingdom
    10/10 Brian , the road sign post looks the nuts !!
    Sam B