1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

Online Workshop FERNANDO RUIZ cossack online course thread

Discussion in 'Workshop with Fer' started by Fernando Ruiz, Jan 25, 2011.

1. Piotrec Active Member

United-States
    I like this red wine colour a lot.
    Fernando Ruiz likes this.
  2. Fernando Ruiz Well-Known Member

Spain
    Hi, guys
    I'm sorry to inform all of you that I had to attend some health problems of both parents and I haven't too much time for the course. I had to travel back to Málaga, where they live and I won't be back home until April. The problems are now under control, but I have to spend a lot of time taking care of them.
    So, for a few days, the course will go a bit slower than desired.
    Regards
    FeR
  3. Merkava Active Member

France
    No problem. Your parents are far more important.
    Regards
  4. Patrick Kamsma Active Member

Netherlands
    Don't be sorry FeR.
    Family is more important then teaching some newbs how to paint a figure.
    Looks like most of us have a lot of work to catch up.
    Take care.

Grtz
    Patrick
  5. neimand New Member

United-States
    Sorry to learn of your parents health. Best wishes for them and you.

Kind regards,
    Kurt...
  6. langeler New Member

Netherlands
    take your time, otherwise time will take us.
    godspeed and best whishes for your family

Ton
  7. Fernando Ruiz Well-Known Member

Spain
    Thanks for your words, guys. They are both much better and things start to go under control. I hope to resume the course soon.
    Regards
    FeR
  8. Andrew Craft Well-Known Member

Australia
    Good to hear that your parents are better FeR, take care.

Andrew.
  9. Fernando Ruiz Well-Known Member

Spain
    Hi all!
    Just wanted to say that, after a long stay in Málaga, I'm ready to resume work again. The crisis with my parents is over and I returned home to Barcelona yesterday night.
    Soon, you'll see new advances in the course and pics from a couple of new works. In these days I'll be checking all threads to see any advances and will post a new step next tuesday.
    Thanks all for your kind words.
    Regards
    FeR
  10. housecarl Moderator

United-Kingdom
    Glad to hear your family issues are now resolved FeR.
    Carl.
  11. toy4x4 Active Member

United-States
    Welcome back Fernando. I'm glad things worked out for the family.
  12. Meehan34 A Fixture

United-States
    excellent news sir, I am very happy it worked out well.
  13. Fernando Ruiz Well-Known Member

Spain
    Thanks guys!

I'm sorr, but I'm not still ready to resume the course yet. It will have to wait till the next week :(
    Thanks for your patience
    Regards
    FeR
  14. Piotrec Active Member

United-States
    Do not be sorry Fernando. Take care of your things without rushing it. Actually in this situation I am getting some extra time to catch up a little bit.
    I am still working on the flesh tones. I think I am getting closer and closer to result that gives me some kind of a satisfaction :)
  15. Fernando Ruiz Well-Known Member

Spain
    Thanks for your patience mates!
    I'll be posting a new advance later ;)
    regards
    FeR
  16. Fernando Ruiz Well-Known Member

Spain
    Hi all!

After this long pause, that I hope you have used to make some progress on the miniature ;), let's start again with the course's next step: the boots and the cape.

As I said, I was looking for a beige shade for the boots that worked with the trousers. In order to get it, I decided to use these colors:

[IMG]

From left to right, Leviathan Purple ink, Basic Skintone, English Uniform, Burnt Cadmiun Red and Prussian Blue. With these colors, I composed a palette:

Base tone: English Uniform
    Shadows: English Uniform + mix of Burnt Cadmiun Red and Prussian Blue
    Highlights: English Uniform + Basic skintone
    Final wash with Leviathan Purple ink.

When you add a purplish tone for shadowing English Uniform, you get a nice deep shadows that work with the overall shade, as these tones complement each other well. When you apply highlights with Basic Skintone, you soften the greenish tone inherent to the English Uniform and get some highlights avoiding a tone too yellowish.

Base coat:

[IMG]

Next, an overall wash with the first shadows tone, to define volumes:

[IMG]
    [IMG]

Let's mark a bit more the shadows with a darker tone:

[IMG]
    [IMG]

First highlight with English Uniform and a bit of Basic skintone:

[IMG]
    [IMG]

Now, I apply even deeper shadows that I also use to outline some endings and the boots' laces:

[IMG]
    [IMG]

Some touches on them with the first highlight and a very subtle wash with Leviathan Purple ink:

[IMG]
    [IMG]

Some highlights adding Basic skintone:

[IMG]
    [IMG]

And it's done. As you can see, the final result goes very well with the trousers tone. That's important:

[IMG]
    [IMG]

Let's paint the cape. For it, I thought on a rough fabric, a cloth purely functional with no decorative purpose at all. Keeping that in mind, I prepare the color palette:

[IMG]

In the lower row is the basic colour palete of the cape. For the base coat y used a mix of Scorched Brown (Citadel) with Black, to get shadowed with pure black and highlighted with Scorched Brown in the first place and Scorched Brown + Orange Brown after that.
    In the upper row, are the tones I'll use to shade and “give texture” to the cape. From left to right, Scorched Brown with Basic skintone, Khaki, pure Basic Skintonee, English Uniform and Prussian Blue. With the first three, I will add some tones and textures mostly in the highlight areas. With English Uniform, I will add some dirt and wear, and the Prussian Blue will add some deepness to the shadows.

Basecoat:

[IMG]
    [IMG]

After painting the basecoat, the white shirt gets even more prominent. First highlight with pure Scorched Brown:

[IMG]
    [IMG]

Second highlight. You have to focus mostly on the upper areas:

[IMG]
    [IMG]

Third highlight, adding more Orange brown and starting the texture work:

[IMG]

We start appliying the shades tones in subtle dots with the brush tip. First, we work the hood:

[IMG]

Let´s keep on working. We mark some small flaws to add richness to the area:

[IMG]

Don't forget the shadow tones that will add deepness to the zone:

[IMG]

And the final result:

[IMG]
    [IMG]
    [IMG]

It just needs a touch of matt varnish, but I'll do that when everything is finished.
    More in two weeks!
    FeR
    toy4x4 likes this.
  17. Topp New Member

Spain
    Hi guys.
    Fernando, great, great job. I like very much the figure. Thanks for your training about painting figures. It is very usuful for me. I am learning and I appreciate a lot your step by step process. Congratulations.
    I hope to meet you sometime in Barcelona or Madrid....
    Thanks for your help.
    Regards
    Miguel.
    Fernando Ruiz likes this.
  18. Fernando Ruiz Well-Known Member

Spain
    Hi, Miguel!
    I you use to come to BCN sometimes, surely we'll meet someday in Samarkanda, the upcoming november show or any other place. Glad the process is helpful.
    Regards
    FeR
  19. Topp New Member

Spain
    Of course Fernando. I will try it. I will keep you informed if I can. I appreciate so much your interest. Thanks again.
    Gracias.
    Miguel.
  20. Patrick Kamsma Active Member

Netherlands
    Hello FeR,

What is this Leviathan Purple ink and why do you paint almost the whole figure with vallejo except this part?
    Is it the same as a very thinned acrylic paint or is it really ink?
    Is there a way to get the same result with a vallejo acrylic?

A lot of questions, sorry, but for me the course is also learning why the top figurepainters make these kind of choices. Like when to use ink instead of normal paint.

Grtz
    Patrick