1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

WIP Critique Fallen Angel

Discussion in 'vBench (Works in Progress)' started by Bailey, Jun 16, 2016.

1. Bailey A Fixture

United-States
    A painting friend asked me to show him how I approached painting skin, so I decided to use this figure to demonstrate. This is a 54mm figure produced by Mike Meehan, a former regular on PlanetFigure. In case anyone is interested, you can find him on facebook under Milosh's Miniatures. The figure is available in 54mm and 75mm versions.

I wanted to do something different than the typical angel, so I decided to create a fallen angel. I worked more purples into the skin shadow tones and used paler tones for the highlights. I still need to make a few adjustments and, when I finish the rest of the figure, I'll return to the skin to add some glazes for color variation.

FA04.jpg FA05.jpg FA06.jpg FA07.jpg FA08.jpg FA09.jpg
  2. Adrian Cowdry Well-Known Member

3. Jamie Stokes Well-Known Member

Australia
    Flesh tones are great, nice, smooth, and done well in this smaller scale.

Like the highlight/ gloss sheen effect in her hair, will more be done on the wings?

cheers
    Jamie
    anstontyke likes this.
  4. Metal Extremo Well-Known Member

Hi Bailey. Watching your last works at PF i found your painting very interesting. A lot of variety about the situations (night, day, OSL) and an own style, and this is something very difficult. I don't like the figure, but like what you are trying to obtain with it.
    anstontyke likes this.
  5. Huw63 A Fixture

That's my idea of an angel!!!!
    anstontyke likes this.
  6. Bailey A Fixture

United-States
    Thanks, everyone!

Jamie, the wings are just base coated black. I'm still deciding how I want to paint them. The feathers don't have much detail sculpted into them, so I'm thinking about painting it on. Whether or not I can do it remains to be seen. I'll experiment on a small section. However I end up painting them, I do want to keep the wings black to contrast with the traditional image of an angel with white wings. But they obviously still need highlighting to pick out the shapes/details.
    anstontyke likes this.
  7. Bailey A Fixture

United-States
    After a long break, I recently started working again on this figure. The reason I stopped was I needed time to come up with a good approach for the wings. They've got the overall feather shapes sculpted in, but not the fine details like the barbs. In the meantime, other projects came up and so I'm just now getting back to her. For the wings, I decided to paint the details on. I've done 3/4's of them. Still need to do the rest of the underside of her right wing (you can more easily see there what's sculpted and what isn't). As for the parts of the wings I've painted, I'm generally happy with the look but plan to keep tweaking and adjusting it some more.
    FA13.jpg
    FA12.jpg FA14.jpg FA15.jpg

I think the wings actually look best from above. I'm still working on them to try and make them look just as good from the sides, but that's not as simple as it sounds.
    FA16.jpg

In addition to my work on the wings, I've applied some subtle glazes of color to the skin. They were added in a number of places, but are subtle so you may not have noticed them in the previous images. This close up of the face makes it more obvious. You can see the tint of red and purple in the cheeks. There's a bit of blue over the eyes too.
    FA_face.jpg

Still more to be done, but I'm hoping I can get this project wrapped up shortly.
  8. Oda A Fixture

Very nice,subtle tones.I like your style.

Oda.
    anstontyke likes this.
  9. oldtrousers PlanetFigure Supporter

Wow, excellent skin tones, thanks for posting. What paints are you using?

Scott
    anstontyke likes this.
  10. phil_h A Fixture

United-States
    Great skin tones, and a real nice subtle contrast on the face. The wings are also coming along very nicely. Looking great so far...

Regards,
    Phil
    anstontyke likes this.
  11. Bailey A Fixture

United-States
  12. oldtrousers PlanetFigure Supporter

Ah, thank you. I recently started to use the Reaper Master Series paints myself and the mixes will help.

Scott
    anstontyke likes this.
  13. Huw63 A Fixture

I'm really enjoying seeing this one develop and the work on both the wings and skin is marvellous.

Cheers

Huw
    anstontyke likes this.
  14. Bailey A Fixture

United-States
    Thanks, Huw.

Almost finished. Still have some details to do, but it's very close. I built the base from cork. On top of that I used sculptamold for texture and additional shape, then glue on some sand for more texture. I wanted the scene to be a summoning ritual, so I put in some candles too. For that I inserted wire and then put greenstuff around that.
    FA17.jpg

And here's the piece mostly painted
    FA19.jpg
    FA18.jpg FA20.jpg FA21.jpg FA22.jpg FA23.jpg
  15. Nap Moderator

England
    Bailey

Love the tones on this , reckon you could push those wings a bit more , like the way it's presented , always great to see your work ..

Highly recommend the article you did to anyone

A fallen angel indeed ..like it

Thanks for sharing

Nap
    anstontyke likes this.