1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

EuroMilitaire 2013 - Best of Show

Discussion in 'Figure Shows, Workshops and Events' started by Paco, Sep 22, 2013.

1. Paco A Fixture

Spain
  2. Alex Long A Fixture

England
    Thanks for posting these, I only got to photograph it in the cabinet with too much light shining on it from the halogen bulbs.

Alex.
  3. ATTİLA the HUN Well-Known Member

Turkey
    Paco, thanks for sharing. But I don't have a facebook account and I CAN'T see your photo directory.
    Please upload other sections.
  4. pmfs A Fixture

Portugal
    The Spanish brigade sweep again the best of show. Well done!

Pedro.
  5. Mirofsoft A Fixture

Belgium
    Thanks for sharing
    Best
  6. megroot A Fixture

Netherlands
    That's a great piece of art that I missed.
    Thanks for sharing.

Marc
  7. Babelfish A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Some absolutely stunning sculpting and painting on display there, the like of which most of us here can only dream about getting anywhere remotely close to. The banners in particular are breathtaking.

However: Flag-waving revolutionary Frenchmen from the exact same team getting BoS twice in the past three Euros - albeit this time on a grander scale? Predictable pattern starting to emerge? Euro judges "playing it safe"?

My personal BoS (and it was a hard choice, given the standard of work on display) was the scratch-built canoe from the French & Indian War, and its crew of 15 scratch built/ heavily converted figures, which ended up with "only" a silver. But what do I know?!

In any case, congratulations to all those who placed in the various categories. There was much to admire.

- Steve
  8. kidsbday7 Active Member

United-States
    Thanks for posting these.

My favorites are the French WWI guys in the trench, the russian WWII guy with his boot off and the LRDG dio.

Oh ya Betsy Ross kind of cool also.

Best for me though is WWI guys in trench. Love it.

Phil
    crf likes this.
  9. JonP PlanetFigure Supporter

England
    I agree Steve, that canoe diorama was stunning.

I must say the BoS was stunningly executed and the painting on the flags was amazing however I thought the composition looked a little contrived almost like it was the final scene from a musical about the revolution; sorry :)
    (Much better than I can ever dream of doing too! (y))
    crf and Babelfish like this.
  10. ACCOUNT_DELETED A Fixture

Canada
    Wasn't there but from the photos I saw on FB I would have gone with the WWI Fr trench mortar too. The BoS is techncially well painted but I don't like the positioning of the figs at all .....as well as some other issues like the obvious flags blowing in 180 degree opposing directions howler!!!! They are too close to be waving them I think and the guy doing the one hander must be awfully strong. Sorry to criticize but when something gets BoS at Euro is should be a bullet proof choice. I don't hear whining about judging this year but the BoS looks a strange choice to me. But again I wasn't there.

Colin
    theBaron, captnenglish and Babelfish like this.
  11. RobH Active Member

United-Kingdom
    Well it was close between this and a Sci-Fi piece. With the Mike Blank Napoleon vignette also very close (I prefered it over the B0S). There certainly wasn't any playing it safe.......it was the most popular amongst the judges......
  12. Babelfish A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Have to agree, Colin. As Jon said, superb painting aside the whole thing looks awfully contrived, and you highlight two very good points about the one-armed flag-waving and the banners blowing in opposite directions. Artistic licence is one thing, but defying the basic laws of physics is quite another.

- Steve
    crf likes this.
  13. ACCOUNT_DELETED A Fixture

Canada
    My prediction for next year's BoS project......LOL....Just kidding.

David_-_Le_Serment_de_larmee_fait_a.jpg

Colin
    theBaron likes this.
  14. Babelfish A Fixture

United-Kingdom

:ROFLMAO: ....... Many a true word, Colin. Many a true word.

- Steve
  15. Don Well-Known Member

Sadly noone has entioned the Charles Davis Memorial Trophy. It was a fantastic diarama of a German aircraft crashed into snaow and ice. On each end of the scene stood a wolf checking the pilot out for a future dinner.It was superb.

Don
    rej likes this.
  16. Paco A Fixture

Spain
    [IMG]
    Photo: Irish Model Soldier Society

[IMG]
    Photo: Pekka Tapani Nieminen

[IMG]
    Photo: Pekka Tapani Nieminen
    NickM, Edward, tomifune and 2 others like this.
  17. smudger1960 PlanetFigure Supporter

United-Kingdom
    They're was some stunning pieces of work but one piece that really caught my eye was the bust of Winston Churchill in class 24 I think, it was beautifully painted and the pin stripe suit was done very well, the face looked so real as well, I'm not saying this should have been BOS it was just one of my favourite pieces, I'd like to know who painted it though :)
  18. Paco A Fixture

Spain
    Greens of the figures B.O.S. (1):

[IMG] [IMG]
    [IMG] [IMG]

[IMG] [IMG]
    [IMG] [IMG]

[IMG] [IMG]
    [IMG] [IMG]

[IMG] [IMG]
    [IMG] [IMG]
  19. Paco A Fixture

Spain
    Greens of the figures B.O.S. (2):

[IMG] [IMG]
    [IMG] [IMG]

[IMG] [IMG]
    [IMG] [IMG]

[IMG] [IMG]
    [IMG] [IMG]
    NickM, Edward and pmfs like this.
  20. Babelfish A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Agreed. It was excellent.

My main beef with the best of show was that it wasn't anything we've not seen before many times. Just a bunch of Frenchmen cheering and waving flags. That's not to say that it wasn't top-notch painting and sculpting by two very talented modellers. Just nothing particularly original.

- Steve