1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

Euro 2016

Discussion in 'Figure Shows, Workshops and Events' started by MalcC, Jun 27, 2016.

1. Viking Bob PlanetFigure Supporter

United-Kingdom
    I will be there next year come hell or high water
    garyhiggins and MalcC like this.
  2. mick3272 A Fixture

Lets hope so, as enthusiasm has been lacking in the past couple of years and I dont believe it was the punters or traders that are lacking.

I have just come back from F/stone town centre and saw four (4) posters advertising the Model Railway Show being held in the Leas Cliff Hall on the 1st /2nd
    October 20 have a look at the table prices. etc. I wish I was here in th F/stone that weekend and I would go and see how it compares . I saw NO posters for Euro. Sorry cant load web page
    Mick
    garyhiggins and MalcC like this.
  3. Nige Active Member

United-Kingdom
    "Good point Nige, but I think there's enough enthusiasm to try and make it a better show next year.
    We have to try."

I agree Malc there is enthusiasm there borne out by a task force being setup to find out what's happening. For a good few years now, modellers and traders intimating what would happen have been ignored.

Been reading Andy Argents FB friends comments and his post on the Mil Mod forum (good man to task to find out why the show has been deserted ) and its clear from other modellers and traders opinions that it'll need to be a big fix . Just skirting around sticking plasters here and there will not be enough in my opinion.
    garyhiggins, Blind Pew and MalcC like this.
  4. mick3272 A Fixture

I have managed to copy & paste the traders info :-

Mick

Folkestone MRC take great pride in offering an enjoyable and friendly exhibition - to both visiting public and layout owners, traders and societies. Our policy towards traders is that we try not to have too many traders at the exhibition who are trading in similar items, e.g. too many second hand books. For those traders who may be interested in attending our show in the future please read the text below and if you are still interested please email me: Chris Dorrell (Exhibition Manager). Note that you may be placed on the waiting list. For information regarding societies please scroll the page down.

Traders:

The Invitation Process

The first batch of invitations is sent out in January, the deadline for replies is usually March 1st. If it becomes apparent that space is still available after the first batch of traders have been invited a further batch or batches will be sent out. Upon acceptance a written estimate of the cost to the trader will be sent, usually within one month of the trader replying. Where possible we will email receipts/confirmations. A £25 non refundable deposit will be required, this is to cover our considerable initial expenses, with the balance payable by July 1st. In August of the exhibition year a “Welcome” pack is sent giving information on set up times, a plan of the hall and the location within it and a map of Folkestone. Upon arrival at the hall traders are asked to report to the information stand (shown on their plan) where they receive a folder with more information as well as tea tickets, a questionnaire and badges.

Donations:

For 2016 these will be as follows:

£11 per foot frontage (maximum depth of 6’ in most cases).
    £9 per table (for the weekend, not per day) - tables are hired.

Included in the fee is a free entry in the exhibition guide with a description of your stand, address, contact details and email address/web site if applicable.

In addition, adverts can also be placed in the guide as follows:

1/3rd of an A5 page (advert to measure 120 mm x 58 mm) £20 (Colour not available in this size)
    Half Page A5 (advert to measure 120 mm x 87 mm) £35 (Colour: £70)
    Full Page A5 (advert to measure 120 mm x 174 mm) £45 (Colour: £130)

All of the above adverts are for Black & White/Greyscale. Adverts must be supplied by May 1st. In addition if an advert supplied does not fit within the sizes specified or alternatively no advert has been supplied but has been requested then a separate £5 re-draw charge will be levied. This will be notified upon arrival at the exhibition.

There is no charge for chairs or power supply. Insurance & local accommodation to be arranged by the trader. The Leas Cliff Hall is a multi million pound venue and is protected by a security system.

Societies:

The Invitation Process

The first batch of invitations is sent out in January of the exhibition year, the deadline for replies is usually the end of March. If it becomes apparent that space is still available after the first batch of societies have been invited a further batch may be sent out. We do limit the number of societies at the exhibition and rotate them every so often. Upon acceptance a written estimate of the cost to the society will be sent, usually within one month of their reply. No deposit is required from societies with payment required at the exhibition itself. We do not charge societies for the space that they occupy within the hall and therefore we do restrict this to a maximum of 12’. Any society that sells items at the exhibition are required to donate 10% of their takings to the club. In August of the exhibition year a “Welcome” pack is sent giving information on set up times, a plan of the hall and their location within it and a map of Folkestone. Upon arrival at the hall societies are asked to report to the information stand (shown on their plan) where they receive a folder with more information as well as tea tickets, a questionnaire and badges.

Donations:
    For 2012 these are as follows:

£7 per table (for the weekend, not per day) - tables are hired - same as 2010/11.

A free entry in the exhibition guide is included with a description of the stand, address, contact details and emailaddress/web site if applicable.

In addition, adverts can also be placed in the guide as follows:

1/3rd of an A5 page (advert to measure 120 mm x 58 mm) £12
    Half Page A5 (advert to measure 120 mm x 87 mm) £25
    Full Page A5 (advert to measure 120 mm x 174 mm) £35

All of the above adverts are for Black & White/Greyscale. Colour adverts can be arranged but at cost. Adverts must be supplied by May 1st. In addition if an advert supplied does not fit within the sizes specified or alternatively no advert has been supplied but has been requested then a separate £5 re-draw charge will be levied. This will be notified upon arrival at the exhibition.

There is no charge for chairs or power supply. Insurance & local accommodation to be arranged by the society. The Leas Cliff Hall is a multi million pound venue and is protected by a security system.

Chris Dorrell
    Exhibition Manager
    garyhiggins and Blind Pew like this.
  5. ellie A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Hi Mick thaks for the info on the cost of tables well that just sums up what we all know, how much of a rip off Euro is. just look at the prices you quoted:

£11 per foot frontage (maximum depth of 6’ in most cases).
    £9 per table (for the weekend, not per day) - tables are hired.

I along with other traders paid per 6' table £320 inc Vat, what the likes of Pegaso and others who have multiple tables must be out of this world on price. I said it before I will say it again no matter how good Euro is it's just a cash cow for the show organisers. it's a boost to their coffers nothing more and has been for years. traders work hard to bring out new product and it's a very small market all this does is make it harder for small companies to make a show like Euro a Viable show.

I for one will watch with interest to see if any notice is taken of the comments made.

Ian

www.elliesminiatures.com
  6. Gellso A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Is there any way we can dispense with that guy who keeps blabbing incoheretly on that bloody microphone every 5 minutes so we can have a conversation with people?
    Gells
  7. MalcC A Fixture

England
    Ian

Its seems to me like that price list should be forwarded on to the organisers. That should make them sit up and listen.

Malc
    garyhiggins, Blind Pew and Nige like this.
  8. Nap Moderator

England

And I will be there to annoy people ...with my good looks ..of course ..lol

Nap
  9. Nap Moderator

England

Have we contact details for those people ..perhaps we should bombard them ?

On another note I wonder who asked Andy Argent do the FB post asking for comments about Euro ?

Nap
    garyhiggins likes this.
  10. ellie A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Hi Malc that's what I was thinking of doing. I would like to see what sort of response they come back with. as can be seen from this that the Hall costs are no where near as much as they are making out. it's as I thought a rip off for everyone. But I know what the excuse will be. Model railways are bigger than modelling and that they don't have the same overheads ect ect.

Sorry but that does not wash the hall is the same for both shows. by the sound of it they have less trade and more display than Euro so how can in all honesty the railway show keep going if they pay the same as Euro. I think the cat is out of the bag and the organisers have to answer a few questions on their pricing policy.

sorry for going on but it has to be said and if we stay silent then nothing will change and that will be the end of it.

Ian

www.elliesminiatures.com
    garyhiggins, Blind Pew and MalcC like this.
  11. mick3272 A Fixture

Hi Ian,

I cant find any contact details of Chris Dorrell Exhibition Manager but the Folkestone , Hythe Model Railway Club Secretary details are below, He may be able to shed a little more light on their show. I wish I could attend to have a look see but I am flying out to Spain on the 1st Oct

Club secretary is Bob Bailey who can be contacted on 01303 239889 or via email robert_bailey1@sky.com

http://www.folkestone-mrc.com/

Mick
  12. ellie A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Cheers Mick I will drop Bob a line and see what i can find out about the show and cost thanks for the info. ho and have a great time in Spain mate.

Ian

www.elliesminiatures.com
    garyhiggins and napoleonpeart like this.
  13. ellie A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Hi Mick I have just sent an email to Bob lets wait and see what we get back. I will keep you all informed.

Cheers

Ian

www.elliesminiatures.com
  14. MalcC A Fixture

England
    I have a concern, rather than reduce the price of the tables, would MyTime Media pull the plug on the show?

Malc
  15. Nap Moderator

England

A good point but without being -ve.... time will tell ...I can see no real reason after all we all want the same thing ...Euro as a show we all WANT to go to .....surely all they have to do is at least listen to everybody's comments and more importantly feedback .

Nap
    garyhiggins and Blind Pew like this.
  16. Nige Active Member

United-Kingdom
    "I have a concern, rather than reduce the price of the tables, would MyTime Media pull the plug on the show?"

Malc

MyTime media are not the show Malc. If they are fleecing everyone then they've killed it themselves and don't deserve the franchise.
    garyhiggins, Blind Pew and housecarl like this.
  17. frank h Well-Known Member

England
    Hi
    Maybe its time to return to a show put on
    by Modellers for Modellers

Frank
    garyhiggins, Bootneck, kiwi45 and 7 others like this.
  18. Briank Active Member

United-Kingdom

Be careful, it could happen :(
    garyhiggins likes this.
  19. Mike - The Kiwi A Fixture

New_Zealand
    Well after reading 338 posts in anticipation & condemnation (in the main) plus Andy Argent's thread on Facebook thought I'd share a personal view. I was looking at my first trip to Euro next year, given I have to travel 13000kms, it takes a bit of thinking about ;-)

Euromilitaire had always been the ultimate bucket list destination,
    after many years following it in MilMod, here & Verlinden's Photo Specials.
    Unfortunately though the gloss has well & truly worn off for me :-(
    One lone modeller from downunder won't make a difference I know,
    but how many others have been scared away from what appears to be a universally dissatisfying experience for all this year. I've perused pictures from this show & see many entries from other shows including BOS.
    So why bother focusing on this event, when other beckon so brightly?

Next year sees WorldExpo in Chicago, location of only other Northern Hemisphere show I've attended.
    It was an incredible experience in every aspect & definitely top of the list for next year if I can pull off an international trip. I'm sure many from across Europe & UK will be simarily tempted with consequences for Euro2017 inevitable I suspect.

Add to this potential for SMC to host WE2020 & it seems I'll never get to Euro,
    bit like another bucketlist trip - a space shuttle launch :-/

It's days seem numbered & the adverts for SMC seem to toll the final bell
    (see FB below which says it all for me) if it's good enough for Bill...
    A show with a host of figure & armour modellers showcasing talent, workshops, catch ups over a beer & close to WW1, WW2 & Napoloeanic battle grounds seems impossible to beat.

Normally I would not even have bothered entering this thread as a Euro virgin, however wanted to acknowledge how important DestinationEuro had been for me before I finally decided to move on. Perhaps this note will at least add another voice to those who are interested in trying to do something about this sad situation. The world has changed so much since 1985 when Lynn Sangster & Ray Lamb's vision created the most inspiring event for many of us. Their legacy & foresight will remain forever, regardless of what happens in Folkestone or wherever Euro ends up next year.

For me I'll be targeting Chicago or Europe from now on...

Stay safe,
    Mike

image.jpeg
  20. elanlane13 A Fixture

England
    Mike,
    Please don't forget that we British love to build things up only to knock them down and then complain when they are no longer there. Euro is far from perfect, but it is still a very good figure show. This year entries were down but the quality was high with medal winners worthy of any year. The figure trade was well represented with manufacturers from around the world, most of whom had new releases to see. I do agree with the AFV modellers that, while there were some excellent entries, their numbers have declined and there is less for them to see. However, for figure modellers this is still a place to see great work a good range of traders and meet like minded people for a curry and a beer.
    I hope you do go over to the World Expo in Chicago as I will be there ( my first U.S. Show) as it would be great to meet you. But don't cross Euro of your list yet.
    garyhiggins, MalcC, Lancio and 3 others like this.