1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

End of the dream....

Discussion in 'Brutal Honesty - Critique Center' started by Bob Orr, Feb 28, 2014.

1. Bob Orr Active Member

United-Kingdom
    This is my first post on this forum and despite retiring early about 18 months ago this is the first figure I have completed in ages! Hope to have another 2 ready for the BMSS Nats in April. This is the 75mm Alexandros figure of Charles Edward Stuart. Quite a difficult kit to put together and a sod to paint. The tartan ended up in the Nitromors more than once and I am still not entirely happy with it but I am not doing it again! May do another version of this in September with a disconsolate Alex Salmond!!!!! Cheers, Bob

[IMG]

[IMG]
    [IMG][IMG]

Attached Files:

tiberius57, NickM, gforceman and 6 others like this.
  2. swralph A Fixture

Really well painted nice tartan(y)
  3. Richard Baxter A Fixture

Scotland
    Don't be so hard on yourself, tartan looks great. Lots of figures of BPC around, don't know if you saw the recent coverage of the find that the portrait of himself that appears on all the shortbread tins is in fact his brother Henry, and so we all have mostly the wrong image of him (they were rather alike though, but Henry was more soldierly). Are all the figures based on the same picture?

Next year is the 300th anniversary of the first Jacobite Rebellion (as well as Waterloo 200, Agincourt 600 and Gallipoli 100), the Old Pretender and all that (BPC's dad). Must be lots of modelling potential there.
    pmfs likes this.
  4. Tecumsea PlanetFigure Supporter

England
    Full marks for having a go at Tartan, I'm 6 years into retirement, averaging a figure a month and still and keep ducking it. In fact I've just commissioned a piece with Tartan as I can't see me ever painting one. Nice result on this piece, the moss looks a good substitute for Heather!

Keith
  5. elanlane13 A Fixture

England
    I saw this when it was nearly complete a few weeks ago. It's really well finished and the setting works very well.
  6. Grod A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Royal Stuart must be one of the hardest tartans to paint Bob and in 75mm this looks good to me.
    Gordon
  7. Babelfish A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    I doff my optivisor to those who can paint tartans proficiently, and I think you've done a great job.

- Steve
  8. Bob Orr Active Member

United-Kingdom
    Thanks for the comments guys. Not sure about the basis for the figure sculpt but think it is Charles albeit somewhat younger than Culloden. Yes I did see the programme on the lost portrait and fortunately the new found one is not too dissimilar. Very interesting programme which prompted me to repaint the sash light blue as opposed to the white I had it originally. Think he looks a bit older than 24 though!

Bob
  9. housecarl Moderator

United-Kingdom
    Lovely piece Bob, great touch with the saltire.
    Carl. (y)
  10. megroot A Fixture

Netherlands
    Great work Bob.

Marc
  11. tonydawe A Fixture

Australia
    Outstanding effort on the tartan. Not an easy pattern to replicate and you've done it exceptionally well