1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

Emperor of the North (Lee Marvin)

Discussion in 'Sculpting' started by Jimbo, Aug 1, 2014.

1. Jimbo A Fixture

England
    For all us old gits who can remember classic films from the 7o's may recall the 1973 film "Emperor of the North", set during the Great Depression in America it depicts a struggle between an ageing Hobo called "A number 1" (Lee Marvin) & a brutal Railroad Guard called "Shack" (Ernest Borgnine), the struggle being over who rides the No 9 train for free for the full length of the route before the vicious railroad Guard can "remove" any freeloaders from the train with any means necessary, even if it means murder! A superb story with Lee Marvin Challenging the mad eyeball staring hard man Guard Ernest Borgnine throughout the film, which builds into an explosive finale with a superb on screen fight using chains, lumps of wood & a fire-axe, whilst both characters are desperately trying to keep their balance on a moving open train carriage, it's a great film in my opinion with Lee Marvin in a classic natural roll for himself as a cigar smoking, boozing, stealing chickens/turkeys & staring down the authorities just to survive, type of character, the film also includes a young Keith Carradine playing a superb part as a gobby cocky new Hobo upstart challenging Marvin for his place as "A number 1" on the railroad, who Marvin eventually takes under his wing to teach him the ropes, it's a great film & well worth a view.

This a straight conversion using Mitches Military Models full 200mm figure of the OSS Major WW11 ( Lee Marvin Dirty Dozen), The axe, chicken, cap etc were all scratch built using Milliput/magi-sculpt/ wood (axe handle) further conversion work was carried out on the shirt & tie, waistcoat, jacket, gloves, trousers & boots.
    Hope you like him as much as I enjoyed converting him, just looking now for maybe converting/sculpting "Shack" the Ernest Borgnine character...(what a superb face he had!)
    (y) cheers
    Jim

Attached Files:

Mike S., fanai, O.P. and 14 others like this.
  2. smudger1960 PlanetFigure Supporter

United-Kingdom
    Superb work Jim,I have this in my DVD collection and it's one of my favourites,looking forward to seeing some paint on it :)
    Jimbo likes this.
  3. tomifune A Fixture

United-States
    Great idea for a conversion. Great film with 2 actors who never gave a bad performance.

Bob
    Jimbo likes this.
  4. Jimbo A Fixture

England
    Thanks Smudger, glad you like him, like you I love the film too as one of my favourites
    Cheers(y)
    Jim
  5. Nap Moderator

England
    Hi Jimbo ,

Not bad ...I suppose for someone as old as you ...I don't remember the film ...too young as you well know ..but that aside

You have done a great Job mate ..having see this grow from virtually nothing ...love the ragged coat (obviously modelled from one in your wardrobe)

......and the whisky bottle in the pocket ..

...love the boots as well fine details all over ...sole hanging open ..nice touch

Like the goose(Ooops) chicken looks really good

.the whole thing will look great painted up...now after that mabe a commercial version perhaps ...as a bust with no bloody legs...he he

Nap
    Jimbo likes this.
  6. polyphemus Well-Known Member

I'm old enough to remember it & old enough to have forgotten it. Can't remember the last time I saw this.
    Nice conversion Jim.

One of my own favourites from around that time (OK 1981 but it seems that long ago) is Death Hunt where Marvin plays a Canadian Mountie leading a chase after a fugitive played by Charles Bronson.

Geoff
    Jimbo likes this.
  7. Jimbo A Fixture

England
    Thanks Bob, Nap & Geoff(y)
    Glad you all like him, I had forgotten "Death Hunt" Geoff thanks for reminding me ( might have a look at that) and yes Kev it could be easily converted as a bust ....Mmmmm?!:rolleyes:
    Cheers
    Jim
  8. Grod A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Very original idea Jim. Looks good mate.
    Gordon
    Jimbo likes this.
  9. Jimbo A Fixture

England
    Thanks Gordon, glad you think so mate(y)
    Cheers
    Jim
  10. mil-mart A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Nice one Jim, something a bit different. Never seen the film so might look it up. (y)

Cheers Ken
    Jimbo likes this.
  11. Jimbo A Fixture

England
    Thanks Ken glad you like him, the film's a bit dated but well worth a view if your a Lee Marvin fan such as myself.
    Cheers(y)
    Jim
  12. swralph A Fixture

Great conversion.
    Jimbo likes this.
  13. Jimbo A Fixture

England
    Thank you Swralph
    Cheers (y)
    Jim
  14. pgarri27 Well-Known Member

United-States
    Really like what you have done. When I first saw the pictures, I was hoping this was going to be a comercial piece. Love Lee Marvin, now I have to go find this film. Recently watched paint your wagon, Again!
    It's a beautiful figure.
    Jimbo likes this.
  15. Von Bock Well-Known Member

United-States
    Wow that is really nice. I too love that movie. My dad who grew up at the time of the great depression turned me on to this movie. He said watch this as it is as close to true as I've seen other than the Grapes of Wrath. He rode the trains, the hobos looked out for him and warned him there were guys Railroad Dicks they were called just like the Shack that didn't care about hobos just no free rides. Two great actors. Funny thing is I just watched this movie and thought man I'd love a bust of the Shack. As a guy who would look more like Ernie that Lee I picked him first lol. Regards Brock
    Jimbo likes this.
  16. balder PlanetFigure Supporter

Canada
    A good movie and an excellent sculpt. Well done!
    Gerald
    Jimbo likes this.
  17. housecarl Moderator

United-Kingdom
    Excellent bit of work Jim.(y)
    Jimbo likes this.
  18. chippy Well-Known Member

United-Kingdom
    Masterful conversion Jimbo and you didn't even have to add legs , what a bonus . And I too highly recommend the film Death Hunt as suggested by Geoff . Set in Canada back in the days when men were men and that's the problem no women !! so they end up shooting the hell out of each other .
    chippy
    Jimbo likes this.
  19. Jimbo A Fixture

England
    Thanks guys I really appreciate your comments & glad you like him....Just need to get some paint on him now(y)
    Cheers
    Jim
  20. Jimbo A Fixture

England
    Emperor of the North all finished now, apologies for the shaky photos...need a tripod!!
    Cheers
    Jim

Attached Files:

• 001.JPG
      001.JPG
      File size:
      5.4 MB
      Views:
    • 003.JPG
      003.JPG
      File size:
      5.5 MB
      Views:
    • 004.JPG
      004.JPG
      File size:
      5.4 MB
      Views:
    • 005.JPG
      005.JPG
      File size:
      5.3 MB
      Views:
    • 006.JPG
      006.JPG
      File size:
      5.5 MB
      Views:
    • 007.JPG
      007.JPG
      File size:
      5.3 MB
      Views:
    Grod, arj, balder and 2 others like this.