1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

Emmanuel De Grouchy Wip

Discussion in 'vBench (Works in Progress)' started by stoffy01, Sep 27, 2015.

1. stoffy01 PlanetFigure Supporter

Australia
    Good day planeteers,
    Here's another little job I've undertaken in the last week or two when I've had a chance, hopefully not too far off from the finish just some touch ups, mounting and base part. Vallejo, Darkstar and some Citadel used. Thanks for looking and any advice is muchly appreciated.
    Regards
    Chris. uploadfromtaptalk1443402527475.jpg uploadfromtaptalk1443402601407.jpg uploadfromtaptalk1443402628911.jpg uploadfromtaptalk1443402660046.jpg uploadfromtaptalk1443402688977.jpg uploadfromtaptalk1443402715261.jpg uploadfromtaptalk1443402755419.jpg uploadfromtaptalk1443402782851.jpg
  2. swralph A Fixture

Looking good Chris.
    I'm not an acrylic painter,but there are plenty on here.
    The only thing I would say is to practice more with blending your colour's together.
    Overall though a nice figure.:)
    stoffy01 likes this.
  3. stoffy01 PlanetFigure Supporter

Australia
    Thanks Ralph,
    Yeah, I've been having troubles with blending, it's like it's taking me a thousand coats. With this particular one, I was using a mix of yellow ocre, prussian blue and dark prussian blue to try and get the green right, but it didn't work. I ended up getting uniform green which was better, I was then adding blacks to get the very dark shades and white to get the highlights. Have been using the reference of the box art and also a painting or two. The other thing is it's a bit of a cross with a warm green and also a cool green as its in a winter scene, it's really messing with my head
    :eek:. Thanks for the advice ralph.
    Regards
    Chris.
    swralph likes this.
  4. Richard Baxter A Fixture

Scotland
    Hi Stoffy. I know it sounds counter-intuitive, but try shading your greens with red. Not an obvious colour partnership but works very well. Give it a go! Nice work BTW!

The soldiers of the Grande Armee nicknamed Grouchy "Le Canard" (The Duck), not sure why. Interestingly, their nickname for Marshal St. Cyr was "L'Hibou" (The Owl). Bit of a bird theme going on there!
    stoffy01 likes this.
  5. stoffy01 PlanetFigure Supporter

Australia
    Hi Richard,
    Thanks for the heads up with the red will give it a crack. Their uniforms were as colourful as peacocks I guess?
    Regards
    Stoffy.
  6. Metal Extremo Well-Known Member

Very good taste with the election of the miniature. It's one of the napoleonics that it's probably i'll try to paint someday (i don't put my brushes over napoleonics, the exceptions till today 2 highlanders and one chasseur de la garde).
    The colours are correct, in my opinion. I see two styles in the figure. A lot of contrast, at the cape, and less contras an the rest of the figure. I prefer the high contrast, is more spectacular. So, the little problem you have is the steps betwen shadow and base/lights. There are zones where the border is very clear. Try to paint some glazes over those borders to erase it, and the cape will win a lot. When you were painting, in at the border zones add more water to the mix, the borders are less visible folk.
    stoffy01 likes this.
  7. Babelfish A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    I'm pretty sure that the photos don't do this justice.

- Steve
    stoffy01 likes this.
  8. stoffy01 PlanetFigure Supporter

Australia
    Hi , thanks also for the tip and I agree that the box art has definitely got the high contrast happening which adds to the feel, whether thats the photography that's doing that is debatable. Because I'm using other referance and also the picture quality it may be messing with myself and some of you as some have the flash on and others don't. I put these up to show the progression of the painting, maybe I need to take a couple more without the flash on as this really detracts from the piece.
    But I do agree that the cape has a certian look differing from the rest but the rest has alot more bling and a differing surface. I'm getting a headache :eek:
  9. stoffy01 PlanetFigure Supporter

Australia
    Hi Steve,
    I'm kind of agreeing with you, and I'm hoping we're right, thanks.
    Regards
    Chris.