1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

WIP Elan13 Spear Dane

Discussion in 'vBench (Works in Progress)' started by Graham, Mar 10, 2018.

1. Steve Brodie PlanetFigure Supporter

United-Kingdom
    You dont look old enough to have retired, unless its a dated photo. :) Like you say time is a big factor, by the time i get in from work, walk the dog, do a few bits and bobs, have tea its like 7:30 and some days even later and then you have about 2hrs top to do anything. :-(
    Graham likes this.
  2. Graham A Fixture

England
    Yep, the photo is about six years old lol. 67 this year but, apart from arthritic knees, still going strong. It wasn’t just the restricted time I had when working, there was also the distractions such as being social..... and the thoughts that go round your head at the end of the day. I walk the dog at lunchtime, I have to keep the knees moving but until I start kitchen duties to ensure my beloved has a hot meal to come home to after work, I am on my own all day with ‘Alexa’ providing me with a stream of music from classical, through Irish folk and even Les Miserables.

Back to the bust, just popped into my modelling room and the shirt paint is still quite wet so he has gone in a warm slow cooker for a while to finish off.
  3. Graham A Fixture

England
    Mmmmmm, maybe these paints are not the way to go. It has been drying since yesterday afternoon in a warm room, two hours in airing cupboard and three hours in a low slow cooker and the red shirt is still sticky in places. Not sure what to do? Should I strip it and start again or just leave it a week or so between paint sessions? Can’t see me doing that to be honest so may have to get some ordinary oils and see if I can get them to dry within 24 hours.
  4. Graham A Fixture

England
    Disaster averted, I just decided to carry on with the highlighting and it worked out ok.

BC618CF3-FAD9-4921-BF0F-B4A94AB79097.jpeg
    billyturnip and Viking Bob like this.
  5. lespauljames Active Member

United-Kingdom
    Graham nice work on the red and the fleshtones, you can get mediums for wso's for glazing e.t.c and a fast drying medium of you want more speed. W&n Artisan do a few to name. Reds and yellows are notorious in oil for being a bit slow on the drying. Keep it up ! J
    napoleonpeart and Graham like this.
  6. Graham A Fixture

England
    Many thanks. Just found the medium online and ordered some. I think I was panicking ( I panicked easily....) as the red paint was well thinned but there was a lot of it. After doing the highlighting, I put it back in the slow cooker for 30 minutes and it is fully dry now.
  7. lespauljames Active Member

United-Kingdom
  8. Graham A Fixture

England
    Thanks for that, I have edited my post above as I have now ordered some, great help(y). I don’t mind the sheen as I like to use Testors Dull Coat when I have finished.
  9. Viking Bob PlanetFigure Supporter

United-Kingdom
    Nice work Graham, Oh the joy's of oils.:happy: I still use oils for flesh work and find it easier than acrylic.
    Graham likes this.
  10. Graham A Fixture

England
    Cheers Bob, I really do want to learn the oil painting even if only to be traditional lol. What bit I have done though has allowed me to do better than I could have done with acrylic. All I need now is some good, yet simple, flesh tone recipes. I have no doubt there are some on the forum so I will start searching :)
  11. billyturnip A Fixture

England
    Burnt Sienna and White Graham. ;)
    Good and simple and you can fiddle around with it by adding touches of anything you like, blues, greens etc.
    Graham likes this.
  12. Viking Bob PlanetFigure Supporter

United-Kingdom
    Tit white, Burnt sienna is a good starting point. You tube has some good vids. The Metal Modelles website has a page for painting in oils and is very good.
    Graham likes this.
  13. Graham A Fixture

England
    There was me thinking it needed twenty tubes of paint to make flesh! Thanks for that :)
    billyturnip likes this.
  14. Graham A Fixture

England
    Just google tit white..... am I in trouble now ....... :). Love it when life gets simple (y)
  15. Viking Bob PlanetFigure Supporter

United-Kingdom

:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:
    Graham likes this.
  16. Graham A Fixture

England
    The man with the Spear is almost finished. Just got to do a bit more on the Spear and hand once the paint is dry then I will post some better finished pics. This has been a joy to work on and has introduced me to water soluble oils and I think, for me, it is the future.

1A82CB37-B3E5-4D6A-A6F1-73B7BD1AB92E.jpeg

2B2C5208-F3F9-4C96-B629-A7F04E215290.jpeg
  17. elanlane13 A Fixture

England
    Hi Graham,
    Sorry I missed this WIP. He's come out very well. The colour choices are good and I like the hint of menace you've given him.
  18. Graham A Fixture

England
    Thanks a Robert. I don’t know about you but I generally find a burly bloke with a shield and a spear is a tad menacing :)
    napoleonpeart likes this.
  19. franck edet A Fixture

Canada
    Nice work Graham, he was one of my favorite in the Vikings TV Show on History.
    are yoou going to add all his head tatoos ?
    my only point being about the spear and floating hand ... the bust, to my eyes, looks way better without them. the spear is definitely out of scale (too little) and the hand without arm looks weird (still to my eyes !)
    keep up the great work !
    Graham likes this.
  20. Nap Moderator

England
    Graham

Really nice result here and glad you are finding WSO are working for you

Nice advice from James as well although I don't use it be interested in your thoughts as well

Have an idea to replace the spearhead on mine

Happy bench time

Nap

PS ..sure we have all googled tit white .....lol
    Graham likes this.