WIP El Greco Hoplites - 200mm Busts

Discussion in 'vBench (Works in Progress)' started by phil_h, Jun 10, 2018.

1. phil_h A Fixture

United-States
    Hello Everybody...

While the water effects on the base for my samurai's groundwork are curing/hardening, I thought I'd post on my next project - the two classic Hoplite busts from El Greco.

There isn't much to be said about these busts, they're classics. Clean, simple and beautifully done, I'm really looking forward to painting them. In my mind, these two guys are related somehow, so I'm doing both simultaneously because I want them to be in harmony together - especially the skin tones and so on.

Here are both kits cleaned, prepped and ready for assembly:
    2018-06-07 16.08.52.jpg

The prep work was the absolute minimum needed. Here they are all primed up and ready to go.
    This one is the "Laconian Hoplite":
    2018-06-08 13.53.08.jpg

And the second is the "Spartan Hoplite":
    2018-06-08 13.52.59.jpg

The big change for me is that I've decided I will paint both busts in oils. I'm usually an acrylic painter (all my work I've posted on PF has been exclusively acrylic up to this point), but I'm a pretty open minded guy, and I thought, why not? I've used oils in the distant past, so it'll be nice to revisit them again after all these years. And if there are any two busts crying out to be painted using oils, it's these two.

As with the samurai, if there's interest, I'd be more than happy to do an SBS on how I tackle these two guys...

Regards,
    Phil
    KenBoyle, arj, elgreco and 8 others like this.
  2. kagemusha A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Hi Phil,
    I did these two back in the day...a joy to paint....always up for an SBS....so much to learn.....

Regards

Ron
  3. Viking Bob PlanetFigure Supporter

United-Kingdom
    Following this one, esp metal work.
    Oda likes this.
  4. grasshopper PlanetFigure Supporter

Canada
    Looking forward to it
  5. DEL A Fixture

Scotland
    Looking forward to seeing these progress. All of Matts sculpts are instantly recognisable and a joy to paint.
    On classical type pieces nobody does hair for the painter better than him.
    An SBS would be particularly appreciated by the membership.
    Cheers
    Derek
    arj and Nap like this.
  6. misfit151 A Fixture

Hi Phil.....these are beautiful sculpts and a joy to paint.......glad you are trying oils....(y)....will follow this one...all the best Mike
  7. Nap Forum Moderator

England
    Great sculpts as you said , Matt's work is instantly known , as Del says his hair sculpting is second to none .

I have these so will be watching this SBS ...very closely to see how its really done

Oh and incase you were wondering I was the model for the muscular body ...just like in Poldark ......LOL

Nap
  8. megroot PlanetFigure Supporter

Netherlands
    Always liked these two.
    Never lay my hands on one of them.
    Now I'm gonna follow this with great interest.

Marc
  9. Babelfish A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Looking forward to seeing these progress. They look great even just primed up!

- Steve
  10. clrsgt A Fixture

United-States
    Will be following this one. Two classic busts for sure.