1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

El Cid Progress - No. 3

Discussion in 'vBench (Works in Progress)' started by Mongo Mel, Jul 1, 2005.

1. Mongo Mel Active Member

United-States
    Hi folks,
    Okay, here's the head scarf with shadows and highlights applied.
    I'm not thrilled with the results though. But I think it's the final colors that I don't like. Something about this mix (Naples Yellow and Prussion Blue) just didn't seem to follow the agreed upon rules that I have with my paints :(
    When I added more of the blue to do my shadows, it became more blue rather than a darker shade of the base color. Similar problem for the highlight color.
    What I ended up doing was a wet on wet shadow with Winsor Newton Blue Black.
    Again not too pleasing. I let it dry and then took my base color and added Titanium White to lighten. this gave me the change of color I wanted where more Naples Yellow didn't. I started applying this as a highlight but ended up using it as a glaze. This toned down the shadows to what you see here.
    As I said, I'm still not too thrilled with it. I'll be away from the bench for a few days but I think I'll end up painting it the darker green I've been thinking about.
    I'd appreciate hearing what you think about it.
    Thanks,
    Craig

Attached Files:

2. Mongo Mel Active Member

United-States
    Another view

Attached Files:

3. Cicero New Member

Albania
    Hello Craig,

Yes sometimes paints go and live their own life.
    I think the head scarf looks a bit to monotous, meaning not enough shading and highlighting. Maybe it's the lighting of the photo that causes it, but IMHO (and maybe this will sound harsher than it's meant to be) you used to much pastel tints for my taste. As a result the whole looks too soft. Like you already mentioned, I too would consider painting the head scarf in a darker green, creating a bit more contrast.
    Nevertheless I like your face colour very much. It's very striking, just as the beard.

Kind regards

Johan
  4. diosytexas Member

England
    hi craig. my 2 penny worth has not changed, it's ok but that's it just ok. for me a richer coulor to bring out the other two colours which are some what pastel in shade. still think it's a cracker though.well done. dave.
  5. Mongo Mel Active Member

United-States
    Hi guys,
    Thanks for taking the time to post here.
    Johan, I agree. It just doesn't have any life to it. Another round of applying highlights would probably help.
    Dave, I think it's probably the glaze that has made it look that way.
    I did a green once that I really liked and will probably just go ahead and use it rather than spending any more time trying to fix this.
    Thanks again.
    Cheers,
    Craig
  6. Roc Active Member

United-States
    Hey Craig, I think the problem that you are having is arising from the fact that you are trying to be to subtle with the shadows and highlights, I think you should deepen your shadows and increase your highlights in order to create contrast,
    For what it's worth, just my two cents.

Cheers
    Roc. :)