1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

El Cid Progress - No. 2

Discussion in 'vBench (Works in Progress)' started by Mongo Mel, Jun 27, 2005.

1. Mongo Mel Active Member

United-States
    Hi folks,
    I've managed to get the cape done and now I'm rethinking the color for the head scarf. I'm thinking that it might look better if it were a dark green.
    Here are a couple of picture. I'd appreciate hearing your thoughts.
    Thanks,
    Craig

Attached Files:

2. Mongo Mel Active Member

United-States
    Another view...

Attached Files:

3. Mongo Mel Active Member

United-States
    And still another view :)

Attached Files:

4. Guy A Fixture

United-States
    Tough decision Craig. Being mostly an enamel person, the color you have would have to be specially mixed for me to shade it. The dark green would give more contrast to the cape..........but thats just me.
  5. Alex Lopez Well-Known Member

Mexico
    Hello Craig, this green works for me, but, dark green could help to flesh tones...
    Anyway, great work!!

Alex.
  6. Mongo Mel Active Member

United-States
    Hi guys,
    Well, from the responses here and on ArmoramA it looks like everyone says to keep the color as is. Now I just need to shadow and highlight it.
    Thanks for the feedback. I appreciate it :)
    Craig
  7. diosytexas Member

England
    hi craig. first can i say your doing a grand job on this fellow. as you have asked i think darker on the head scarf would would bring out the other colours as well as the skin tones. i am not big on green as a colour but i do think darker. keep up the sbs i enjoy them.dave.
  8. megroot A Fixture

Netherlands
    Craig,

First i think you are doing a tremendous job. But i wouldt have been choosen for a darker green just as you thoughts.
    For me this is gonna do the figure justice. I find the colours great but tree colours on the dyed side is to much for me. A bit more contrast will do. So yes, make it a darker green.

But that's just my thoughts. Above all, keep this fellow on the planet.

Marc
  9. Mongo Mel Active Member

United-States
    Hi guys,
    You're killing me here :lol:
    I was all set to keep it the current color and now I've got 2 other people that agree with my thinking.
    What to do...what to do... :)
    I'm going for a silk type of coloring so either light or dark should be appropriate.
    I've been having a lot of second thoughts on the colors for all of the cloth areas on this guy. The face piece and cape both started out different colors but changed as I progressed.
    Well, still thinking...again :)
    Craig
  10. quang Active Member

Belgium
    Hello Craig,

IMO your colour combination works very well: well-balanced and harmonious.

I'd keep the green of the scarf as it is and add some more contrast between shadows and highlights to show off the silk texture and shine.

Whatever your choice is, it's already very promising. (y) (y)

Cheers,
    Q.
  11. Guy A Fixture

United-States
    A philosophy I follow daily..............."If you don't know.....don't do"
    Wait a few days Craig and see how you feel about changing colors then.
  12. Antlion Member

Canada
    Hi...just my 2¢...I prefer the green as it is now - it has complimentary hue and tonal qualities to the 'yellow'. A darker, or richer green, may actually 'fight' w/ the current 'yellow'. IMHO when you start adding the dark shadows of the current green, you will notice the sharp contrasts to that of the other color.

I also agree that setting it aside for a day or two is a supreme idea ;-).
  13. Mongo Mel Active Member

United-States
    Hey fellas,
    Thanks for your thoughts. I guess what will really determine the final color will be when I start applying the shadows and highlights to it. This green is a mix of Prussin Blue and Naples Yellow. I think the shadows and highlights will be the same, just more of the appropriate paints for each. If I can't get a good result, then the dark green seems like the possible solution.
    Thanks again,
    Craig
  14. diosytexas Member

England
    hello craig, will you answer me a question. when you line the eye's top and bottem lids what colours do you use. ie. do you use the same colour to line both or a lighter colour on one.i use oil paint so if you could give me the oil name/colour you use i will understand better than the water based colours that use numbers. thanks dave.
  15. Mongo Mel Active Member

United-States
    Hi Dave,
    Usually I don't do anything special for lining the eyes. When I paint the overall color for the face, I paint this into the eyes as well. Then while I'm doing the wet-on-wet shading, I'll add some of the shadow color into the eyes and smooth it out. Later, after the face is dry and I go back to finish the eyes, I paint in the "whites" and let them dry too. When I do this, I do my best not to get the "white" paint on the edges of the eyelids. Then I paint in the eye color and let dry. And last I add the pupils and catch points.
    This is a big bust so I'm doing something a little bit different. I'm adding in a wash of Alizerin Crimson before painting the rest of the eye. This is the same basic color I used to paint the inside of the mouth.
    I hope this answers you question. If not, or if there's anything else you want to know, feel free to ask :)
    Cheers,
    Craig
  16. diosytexas Member

England
    thanks craig, looking forward to seeing the el cid finished.dave.