1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

Edward Victor Ball, 1918 - 1948

Discussion in 'vBench (Works in Progress)' started by Dan Morton, Jun 18, 2006.

1. Dan Morton A Fixture

United-States
    WIP - last weekend these two figures were worked up as elementary mannikins. This weekend I've brought them along to the next stage of simple anatomy. Hopefully next weekend I can start to dress them a bit.

I used Luca's background paper idea. Looks pretty good! The photos are not the best. Unfortunately I finished too late to use natural light.

This is the younger Mr. Ball at 16 years. I only have one picture of him to go by, so I'm kinda using my imagination a LOT. I wanted him to be rather lean if not downright awfully skinny at this stage for two reasons. (1) The picture I have is just a part of the upper torso and face and both look lean. (2) I want him to continue to look thin when I add on all the clothing. Thin implying youth....Whaddyathink? If I can do it, he will be in British Royal Horse Artillery uniform. The busby will be separate on a table. If you remember from last week, the pose is similar to a carte viste photo taken in a portrait studio. Dave is supplying two doll house tables and a photo studio backdrop.

[IMG]
    [IMG]

The older Mr. Ball at 48 years. I have several photos of him, but not all at this age. I added some weight to the back, butt and shoulders and more meat in the upper chest and arms. And I gave him a moderate beer belly - maybe a bit too much, I may go back and tone that down. Beginning to be middle-aged, losing his hair, etc., etc. He will be in RAF uniform. A hat and a camera will be separate on a table.

[IMG]
    [IMG]

Comments and critique as always mighty welcome. I'm particularly interested in your comments on the anatomy, etc. Not my strongest suit and if you see anything wrong, please let me know.

All the best,
    Dan
  2. DaveCox Member

United-Kingdom
    Looking good Dan. The older one especially is beginning to be recognisable according to Chrissie (EVBs daughter!)
  3. Dan Morton A Fixture

United-States
    Thanks so much Dave! Glad to hear there is some resemblance! Am I about right in terms of weight, paunch, etc. on the older one or should I take some off? I'm away on business this week and won't have the opportunity to work on these until next weekend.

All the best,
    Dan
  4. flart1943 Active Member

England
    Hi Dan
    Coming on great, the faces are just right.
    Pete
  5. MAB Well-Known Member

Italy
    Hi Dan

compliments for the plan that shows interesting.....
    moreover the appearance between the young person and old me he seems good.....

I have noted that it has the too much long arms.... rechecks the measures.

It remembers that the end of the elbow would have to be to the height of the flank and the palm of the hand to the height of the horse :)
    Salutes and good job

MAB
  6. Dan Morton A Fixture

United-States
    Pete and Maurizio - Many thanks for your critique and comments! Maurizio - I went back and re-measured the anthropomorphic left arm of the younger figure and you're right - it's just a bit too long above the elbow. I have no idea how I made that mistake! The other 3 arms measure OK.

In a separate e-mail, Dave says the older Mr. Ball should have less chest - he apparently was not muscular as I've made him. So I'll rework both of them, do quite a bit of sanding and cleaning and let you see the result before I proceed.

All the best,
    Dan