1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

WIP "Easy Pickins"

Discussion in 'vBench (Works in Progress)' started by Steve Ski, Mar 30, 2013.

1. Steve Ski PlanetFigure Supporter

United-States
    Hi Guys,

Been a bit, but we are back in the bunker and "Ruckin Over" to the next figure, one yall will love, from ReeDees Miniatures by Brother Stevo; https://sites.google.com/site/reedeesminiatures/products/1-9-200mm

This is an impressive kit yall already know about, but I just wanted to let yall know I'm workin it now. So, here's a few pics of what will be figure number Five on this beast of a dio. Sorry if the pics are a bit blurry, but this has been a lot of fun workin it, great kit.

[IMG]

[IMG]

There's still plenty to blend and the pics may be a bit shinny, just got em fresh off the press, but tomorrow I'll be back at it. Honest critiques please. Yall know I ain't afraid to fix a boof, never have. So, call it as ya see it, Please!
    anstontyke likes this.
  2. Steve Ski PlanetFigure Supporter

United-States
    [IMG][IMG][IMG][IMG]

Just an update on the figure work. Got some of the blending done on the blouse and will start on the trousers soon. All in oils as usual and having a blast at.

All comments welcome. Thx for watch, Ski.
  3. Mark Dollery Well-Known Member

United-Kingdom
    looking good Steve :), got one of these myself so watching closely, ;)
    Mark D .
    anstontyke likes this.
  4. Steve Ski PlanetFigure Supporter

United-States
    Sounds great Mark, it's a sweet kit!

Thx for watchin, Ski.
    anstontyke likes this.
  5. Steve Ski PlanetFigure Supporter

United-States
    Howdy Gents,

I've been working the trouser and details, but wanted to give a brief update. My main concern right now is making sure all the little items are covered before I make a punch list for final work over. Then, after all the figures are done I’ll weather where needed once the base is done and ready for these huge buggers.

As you can see from the first few pics I need to bring the flesh tones on the hands in line with the head. After mulling over new recipes and methods I’ve decided to stick with what works and make slight alterations and improvements. I’m always learning in this Sport.

The highlights are being dialed down a bit to a more appropriate flesh tone and some reddish “featherings” will be added once the work is sealed so as not to disturb the base work. The head still has work to be done, but we are really close to the finish on it.

I usually will thin the oils to an almost acrylic like consistency, but its way more fluid and won’t dry nearly as fast as those acrylics. That process is where I usually end up doing all my fine tuning and feathering on any abrupt or rough tonal edges.

[IMG] [IMG][IMG]

Lastly, the coat is still shiny, but you can see the trousers are basically dialed in for the most part. I’ll adjust as I go along before I put this rider in the curio cabinet out of the way in safety, then its off to the next figure.

Please holler if you see anything I may have missed or needs attention and thx for watching.

Cheers, Ski.

[IMG] [IMG][IMG]
  6. fabrizio1969 A Fixture

Italy
    very fine
    anstontyke likes this.
  7. 1969 A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Just seen this one now Ski, lovely job mate (y)

Steve
    anstontyke likes this.
  8. Steve Ski PlanetFigure Supporter

United-States
    Thx Fabrizio.

Thx Stevo, hope I'm doing it justice. Still a ways to go, but we're getting close.

Thx for watchin. Cheers, Ski.
    anstontyke likes this.
  9. Helm A Fixture

England
    Nice job Ski first one of these I've seen painted looks great
    Steve
    anstontyke likes this.
  10. Steve Ski PlanetFigure Supporter

United-States
    Thank you Steve. I'm really enjoying this figure, great detail and very well sculpted!! Hats off to Stevo!

Cheers, Ski.
    anstontyke likes this.
  11. Jeff T A Fixture

Australia
    Awesome work Steve!

Looking very good.

Cheer's,
    Jeff.
    anstontyke likes this.
  12. Sturm Grenadier Well-Known Member

United-States
    Hello Steve, A very impressive line-up of figures you have there. Really great work. If not to late, here is a photo of a few splinter patterns. Hope it helps. Viewing your progress, best of luck. Regards, SG:)(y)(y) camu_splinterAyB_zps4233e478.jpg
    anstontyke likes this.
  13. Steve Ski PlanetFigure Supporter

United-States
    Thx Jeff for the encouragement, Sir.

SG, thx buddy. That's a closer pic than the prior one, can see more detail. I'll be starting the MG fig real soon and want to change up the pattern slightly, these pics "will" help Bro. The bugger will be the vertical strips, ouch! Thx mucho SG!

Thx for watchin Gents. Cheers, Ski.
    anstontyke likes this.
  14. Sturm Grenadier Well-Known Member

United-States
    Hello Steve, As an option to painting the vertical stripes to the pattern, you could use a ultra fine tip pen, or marker. They come in many colors and styles. A good size to use would be a 0.3mm. It sure beats having to constantly dip your brush, and they give you the same size line. They are also reasonably priced. Here's a photo of the tip size. 7828898174_a2ec410a52_z.jpg Maybe it could help. Regards, SG
    anstontyke likes this.
  15. Steve Ski PlanetFigure Supporter

United-States
    Awesome SG, sounds like a very reasonable alternative to paint. I'll check Michael's for the 0.3mm marker. Thx again Bro.

Cheers, Ski.
    anstontyke likes this.
  16. Steve Ski PlanetFigure Supporter

United-States
    Been a bit of a tussle Gents , but here's the latest on this beauty of a figure.

Yehaaaaa, the rider has been spared the "thrashing" floor, but we still have a sheen that must go. I'm having major difficulties with my "Dull Coat". Any other remedies for a flat matte finish, I'm all ears.

Honest critiques on the helmet color, if you would please, Gentlemen. I'm thinking a redo, a bit off the traditional Field Grey, but still within the parameters. I looked over many color pics on-line, this is pretty close. But, yall be the judge, I'll redo if the consensus is in the majority.

The head is not fixed in place, still minor details to tend to, but I'm going to shelve the rider for now and get started on the "Ranger" figure in this massive dio.

All comments welcome and thx for watchin. Cheers, Ski.

[IMG] [IMG] [IMG] [IMG] [IMG] [IMG]
    [IMG]

P.S. Please excuse the poor pic quality, my cam is wiggin out, lol.
    anstontyke likes this.
  17. kempie Member

England
    Ski my friend, been ages since I've visited (distracted by things with wings) but oh what progress you are making. Truly superb mate!

Cheers, kempie
    anstontyke likes this.
  18. Steve Ski PlanetFigure Supporter

United-States
    Thx Kempie. Ya think some blonde eyebrows might be in order, lol. They are on the punch list.

Thx for watchin. Cheers, Ski.
    anstontyke likes this.
  19. HIKARU_REMOVED Guest

Japan
    Excellent CAMO pattern.;)

I'm looking forward to the completion.

Mitsutaka:)
    anstontyke likes this.
  20. Steve Ski PlanetFigure Supporter

United-States
    Thx Mitsutaka, greatly appreciated.

Cheers, Ski.