1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

WIP "Easy Pickins"

Discussion in 'vBench (Works in Progress)' started by Steve Ski, Mar 30, 2013.

1. Steve Ski PlanetFigure Supporter

United-States
    It's been awhile since I posted any updates to my 200mm dio, but here goes.

I need some no-BS, honest review of my current firgure head/bust. I redid the eyes so many times I'm goin bonkers, but I think I'm pretty close. I added some red-eye to add life and darkened the beard section for a 5 O'clock shadow. I still need some touch-up around the eyes which will be done once this puppy is completely dry. Your comments are great appreciated and please hold nothing back.

Thx in advanced Gents. Cheers, Ski

2687D0E0-756D-45B0-8A60-54A46EA30011.jpeg
    KenBoyle, Borek, anstontyke and 13 others like this.
  2. Osebor PlanetFigure Supporter

Spain
    There'es people here with more expertise but, I like it!
    anstontyke, Oda and Chris Mortimer like this.
  3. megroot A Fixture

Netherlands
    I think there is nothing wrong with this Steve.
    You should go even further with the painting. You can highlight the upper corner more and darken the undercorner more.
    If you can do it, correct the round iris more into a more ellips form.
    This is what i mean. original.jpg
    I think you have to much circle, specially into the left eye.
    Marc
  4. ACCOUNT_DELETED A Fixture

Canada
    Marc if he paints eyes like your photo he will turn the dude into a babe....gotta get that mascara right :)

Colin
    Scotty, pgarri27, anstontyke and 6 others like this.
  5. housecarl Moderator

United-Kingdom
    I think it looks superb.
    The work on the eyes has definitely paid off.
    Carl.(y)
    pgarri27 and anstontyke like this.
  6. Don Well-Known Member

If you do the tiny bit to the eyes that Marc mentioned it will be just superb. Wonderful the way it is, waiting for the completed figure as the bike is amazing.

Don
    anstontyke likes this.
  7. Steve Ski PlanetFigure Supporter

United-States
    Bingo, I'll give it a go when this all dries good and solid. I think I can get that left eye dialed, I see your point, and finish lining the eye a bit more properly. Thx for the look over Marc, just what I needed.

Don, Carl, Colin, and Osebor, Thx for the compliments guys.

I think an optivisor is in order, if I can get it past the "Gate Guard"; read, The Mrs. lol.

Cheers, Ski.
  8. Jeff T A Fixture

Australia
    Looks great Steve!....I would be very happy if I painted that face.

The 5' o'clock shadow looks excellent.

Cheer's,
    Jeff.
    anstontyke and Chris Mortimer like this.
  9. Richard61 Active Member

England
    Hi Steve.
    As an observation from a "Noobie" :notworthy:.......... The face looks very, very good. Aside from the comments made above, the figure's right eyebrow looks a little strange when compared to his left one. It's moved off the brow line a touch at the outer end.
    Hope that helps.
    Richard.
  10. sam b Well-Known Member

United-Kingdom
    I love these big figures ..... following
    anstontyke likes this.
  11. Steve Ski PlanetFigure Supporter

United-States
    Thx Jeff, just trying to get this aspect of the figure painting more dialed in after being too lazy for way too long. Thx again buddy.

Thx Richard. Noob nothin, you make a great point, but I can't change it now, lol. No worries. I'm a slow painter anyway, but now I'm going even slower to catch all my lazy misses over the past few years. I may line up several busts and 120mm heads to hone the skills this summer. I gotta get this nailed because it's been bothering me for awhile now. Thx for the review Richard, greatly appreciated.

Sam, thx Amigo. I wanna be as good as you buddy, that's the goal; http://www.warpaint-miniatures.com/2011/06/viking-fur/. Now that's a killer set of eyes Bro. The more I think about it, the more I'm gonna have to break down and get an optivisor, lol. I love your work Sam.

Thx again guys. Cheers, Ski.
    anstontyke likes this.
  12. Steve Ski PlanetFigure Supporter

United-States
    A bit of an overdue update, but here's a few pics of what's transpired with a few sneaks into the bunker. Snow fly is promised to be early this year, so I'm itchin to get after it.

I'm working one of the German figures and have layed out the camo pattern, so please comment if you see that it's too tight, or needs work. Yall know I'm not above fixing it if it needs it, so serious criticism is requested. Since my inet has been so crappy lately I've had to rely on reference material on hand, Osprey books, not bad, works ok I recon.

Thx for watching. Cheers, Ski.

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

I'm using Tamiya's Dessert Yellow XF-59, Nato Brown XF-68 and OD green XF-58 for the pattern.
    Borek, anstontyke and Oda like this.
  13. kagemusha A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Looking good Ski.......that pattern will look just right once it is shaded/weathered etc. Those rides are superb mate. Look forward to next update.

Cheers

Ron
    anstontyke and Oda like this.
  14. Steve Ski PlanetFigure Supporter

United-States
    Thx Ron, carry on as you say. I'm dedicating Monday as a full bunker day, get back up to speed, snow fall is coming fast, yehaaaaaaaaa!

Thx Buddy. Cheers, Ski.
    anstontyke likes this.
  15. Steve Ski PlanetFigure Supporter

United-States
    Here's a quick snap of the head work. Still more to go, but working the figures is in order to keep moving along. Comments welcome and holler if yall see anything needing attention.

Thx for watching. Cheers, Ski.

P.S. If somebody could point me to a finished Verlinden "Panzergrenadier Machine Gunner 200mm" so I can see where all the gear goes, that would be sweet! I'm having trouble fitting some of the gear properly. I don't want to overdo it or botch the back side, lol.

[IMG]

[IMG]
    Borek, anstontyke and Jazz like this.
  16. kagemusha A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Hi Ski, a real 'rogues' gallery mate :LOL: Just a suggestion bro....centre two....lips could be a shade paler.....guy on the left has the right lip colour to me.
    Nice variation in skin tones between them all. Subtle, but noticeable (y)
    Helmet would benefit from a little more 'wear' IMHO
    Other than that.....all good ;)
    Shaping up to be another classic piece mate.

Ron
    anstontyke likes this.
  17. Steve Ski PlanetFigure Supporter

United-States
    Thx for the look over Ron, greatly appreciated. Yep, I plan to reowrk a few more tid-bits and the lips are on the list. I've been experimenting with different techniques, still a work in progress. I'll fully weather these guys when they are in final assembly. Then, after the fine tuning of the bikes I'll get to the base, the fun part.

Thx again Ron. cheers, Ski.
    anstontyke likes this.
  18. Ferris A Fixture

Looks like another major project Steve. It's looking good.
    As for the camo pattern, I suggest to make it a bit more 'edgy', as this pattern does not have rounded edges. (If you want to represent the 'splinter camo' that is). No access to ref pics for you now, unfortunately.

Cheers,
    Adrian
    anstontyke likes this.
  19. Steve Ski PlanetFigure Supporter

United-States
    Thx Adrina, I'll be working the machinegunner's camo pattern adn adjust to get it dialed in and the reattack this one. It's and easy fix right now, so I'll take that info to heart. Thx for the revue and thx for watchin.

Cheers, Ski.
    anstontyke likes this.
  20. Steve Ski PlanetFigure Supporter

United-States
    Hi Guys,

After some consultation from some great critics I have decided to redo the camo pattern of the first German figure. Here's what I came up with from ref pics given and found. It may not be exact, but I think it will work just fine. I've never been afraid to redo a section of figure if it calls for it. I try to be as accurate as possible while allowing for artistic license to rein when neccessary. So, hope yall like er and hollar if ya see a boof, I'm all ears. Thx for watchin.

Cheers, Ski.

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

P.S. This is gonna be a "hoot" to paint the shadows and highlights, ya buddy!
    Borek, anstontyke and Oda like this.