1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

WIP Critique Dwarf Pirate

Discussion in 'vBench (Works in Progress)' started by Bailey, Dec 30, 2015.

1. Bailey A Fixture

United-States
    I've taken a break from some of my other projects to work on this dwarf pirate from M Proyec (sculpted by Latorre). The figure is 1/35 scale but, as a dwarf, is closer to 40mm tall (not counting the hat). The figure is close to being complete, though I still need to do the leather work on him and more weathering.

For the face I wanted a slightly unhealthy or unnatural look, so I mixed in some dark purple to my shadow mixes and then more off whites into the regular skin shades. I made a few tweaks to the sculpt. I added the hammer on his pistol using some photo etch, did a little more distressing to his hat, and added more texture to his sword. The original sculpt for the sword included barnacles, but the rest was smooth. Seems to me if there were barnacles on it, the whole thing would be far more crusty and corroded. So I used a technique I picked up from Sproket (David Soper) where you mix baking soda with matte varnish to form a paste. It's a nice way to add some texture to the figure.
    B16.jpg B17.jpg B18.jpg

For the base, I figured this pirate needed a ship! So I built a portion of the deck out of balsa wood. For the rigging, I coated string in superglue to lock it into the shapes I desired. I found that thin super glue worked best, as it would quickly soak into the string. Just be careful as it can get everywhere. For the long straight sections, I hung the string from my work area and taped some balsa wood to the end for some extra weight. Then soaked it in super glue (place some paper underneath to catch any drips) and, when dry, cut off the ends and clipped the piece to the desired size.

I also added some barnacles and texture to the outside of the hull. The barnacles are from pro-create (grey stuff) and the texture is the same baking soda technique I used on the sword.
    B19.jpg B20.jpg B21.jpg

I've now started to paint the base, though my focus has been mostly on the outside of the hull. I went with a very dull grey-brown. It seemed fitting for a pirate ship and I think it does a good job of making the figure stand out against the base.
    B22.jpg B23.jpg
    Martin64, samson, Edorta and 13 others like this.
  2. peedee A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Absolutely fantastic Bailey.

No more needs saying really.

Paul.
  3. Viking Bob PlanetFigure Supporter

United-Kingdom
    Argh, looking good and ship shape.
    I some time's delve into sci-fi.
    All the best
  4. cinimod Active Member

United-Kingdom
    Looks good. Sometimes I think it's good to paint something that's a bit different......Dom
  5. Bailey A Fixture

United-States
    So I just resurrected this project. I'm hoping to combine him with another figure and create a larger scene, so I'm ditching the base and making a few revisions to the original paint job on the figure. The building of the base was a good learning experience though, and I definitely picked up some ideas on how to improve my approach for the larger scene.

As for the painting, I'm making some adjustments to the clothing to increase the level of contrast so it fits with the other figure. So far I've just worked on the red coat, but I think you can already see a difference when compared to the earlier photos. I'll be doing something similar on the shirt and pants. I've also worked on the leather hat, trying to give it a nice worn look to go with the rest of the pirate. I'll take a similar approach on his belt and boot.

b24.jpg B29.jpg B26.jpg B27.jpg
  6. peedee A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    So handsome eh.

Lovely job !

Paul.
  7. Fabricio_Fay Well-Known Member

Brazil
    :eek:Amazing work
    I realy enjoyed everithing, but especili the red/purple coat, beautiful color:woot:

Cheers from Brasil:coffee:
  8. Borek A Fixture

Czech-Republic
    Really great!

Cheers Borek
  9. Bailey A Fixture

United-States
    Thanks!

Here's another update. I've been continuing my efforts to increase the contrast on the previously painted parts. To make it easier to see what I've done, I'm including some side by side shots with the figure as it was in the last update. You can see from the parts I haven't changed (like the face, beard, and coat) that the lighting conditions for the photographs is as close I can get to identical. So the difference is just from repainting. In this case, I've done the shirt and pants. I've also taken care of a few other details like the boot, belt, and skull on his hat.
    B35.jpg
    B36.jpg

And a look at the back
    B38.jpg
  10. Ashwar Member

France
    Your work looks great ... the base is so cool !