1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

Dunkirk Carnival

Discussion in 'vBench (Works in Progress)' started by Nap, Aug 9, 2009.

1. Nap Moderator

England
    Hi guys
    This is whats on my bench now its a French type , lets call him Jean Paul , one of the hundreds of carnival revellers at the event held in the pretty town of Dunkirk late Feb/early March , in which its a festival of reversal ..oooh la la !!! (men dress as women , women dress as anything , the crowds get slapped in the face by the "carnavaleux" armed with a wet fish !!!!!)..... I am not winding you up the carnival dates back over 200 years when it was tradition to let the fisherman have a final night out before going off to the fishing grounds .

Could'nt resist this one , he will be very colourful including the wig and the "furry" jacket together with a mass of flowers on the bonnet and a feather boa around the neck (think thats the word ).

The model itself is about 200mm and made by JMD .

Mainly finished , plan to put a picture board (pics from the actual event) around the sides of the base with a nice name plate . Lots of washes on coat and feather boa , added the bow and I have really enjoyed this albeit it unusual , just got about 10 more flowers and lots of foilage on the hat to paint!!! , will post the final pics once this is done .

As usual all comments are welcome

Nap

Attached Files:

2. housecarl Moderator

United-Kingdom
    Very nice Nap, you've got to be in touch with your feminine side apparently.
    Like it,
    Carl.
  3. Guy A Fixture

United-States
    Thats what I like......a little variety! Very well done.
  4. unknown01 New Member

Japan
    Very colorful.
    When this figure is being seen, I feel like being happily.
    It's very excellent, work.

Mitsutaka
  5. davidmitchell A Fixture

Scotland
    Very unusual and colourful piece, look forward to seeing this one completed.

Cheers David
  6. mil-mart A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Kev, great painting, a different choice from your usual military busts. Any thoughts on when you do the base, what about a couple of dead fish hanging over.:)

Cheers Ken
  7. pmfs A Fixture

Portugal
    Hello,

oooh la la, fabulous:)

Regards from Portugal
    Pedro
  8. Nap Moderator

England
    Carnival

Hi guys,

Carl,
    Thanks for comment not sure about my feminine side though !!!

Guy ,
    Glad you like it , ...variety ..the spice of life!!!

Mitsutaka,
    Really pleased it make you happy , thanks for nice comments , appreciated especially when I look at your inspired work

David ,
    Like you say very colourful ..and enjoyable for sure

Ken ,
    Appreciate your comments , (frenchie isn't too far behind!!) , the base , thought about pics from the carnival etc ...great idea with the fish .not sure if SWMBO would appreciate a couple of cod in the house for reference !!!!!

Pedro,
    oooh la la indeed , thanks for comments

Nap :):)
  9. rej Well-Known Member

Malta
    An unusual and certainly innovative subject........you captured her :eek: sorry him very well :D

Ray ;)
  10. Nap Moderator

England
    Carnival

Hi Ray ,
    Thanks for post , you are right unusual and very interesting subject , though not to everyones taste for sure . Thanks for comments , A good sculpt as well though getting the hat out must have been a nightmare with all the leaves and flowers .

I will post another pic of hat soon .

Nap
  11. chippy Well-Known Member

United-Kingdom
    Hi Kev. I know I've seen this at the club meeting but just it's struck me this is all Monty Pythonesque , men dressing as women , fish slapping , all it needs now is a dead parrot :D:D , see you soon mate
    chippy
  12. 1969 A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    nice idea and nicely done Nap, i like it.

Steve
  13. John Bowery A Fixture

United-States
    Nap,
    Very different and well done.
    Cheers
    John
  14. Nap Moderator

England
    Carnival

Steve/John ,
    Many thanks for the comments , one thing for sure I don't think I want to see another flower for a while !!!!!:D

Chippy,
    Yes I suppose it is a little MP ..ish ..but the carnival actually happens !!!! ..I wouldn't want to comment on the dress code to any burly fisherman !!!!!!!nearly finished hat ...just got to do a straw effect underneath ...hopefully .

Nap
  15. Nap Moderator

England
    Carnival

Hi Guys ,
    Heres some pics of the finished bust plus some of the details on the base , a poster , a description and some actual fisherman enjoying themselves ....this is an annual event ..so if your are in Dunkirk late Feb look out for it and beware of low flying fish!!!

All comments are very welcome as usual .

Nap

Attached Files: