1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

Drover,Mesopotamia

Discussion in 'vBench (Works in Progress)' started by amcairns, Feb 14, 2010.

1. amcairns A Fixture

New_Zealand
    Gidday,
    this is a start on the painting of bust..Ive got a long way to go when I see Mike,s inspiring Hoplite.Comments welcome.
    Andy

Attached Files:

2. housecarl Moderator

United-Kingdom
    Excellent start, Andy.
    Carl.
  3. tonydawe A Fixture

Australia
    Very nice Andy. What sort of head gear will you put on this one?
  4. Elaphus Active Member

Germany
    Hello Andy,

nice start, the face looks great !!!

Greetings

Karsten
  5. ubbi Active Member

Italy
    very nice start, i like the dark flesh tones

cheers

stefano
  6. davidmitchell A Fixture

Scotland
    Looking good so far Andy.

Cheers David
  7. mil-mart A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Andy, looking great so far. Will follow progress.

Cheers Ken
  8. Dan Morton A Fixture

United-States
    That's the most realistic looking sunburnt skin I've seen in quite awhile. I know you'll have touches to add here and there, like the forehead below the hat, etc. Just curious - will you paint darker lines to make the teeth more distinct? Remember - I'm not a painter, and I imagine on the Olympic degree of difficulty scale that comes out about a 9.95 or so.

I have another question. Many of your faces are somewhat similar. Not the same - but with some common features. This is not a criticism -far from it - they're great faces! Just an observation. Anyways - are you trying to make them come out similar or do they just sorta do that on their own?

All the best,
    Dan
  9. amcairns A Fixture

New_Zealand
    Dan,
    Yes, they have a similarity.They are either remodelled from a particular head or my sculpting technique seems to model similar characters.Ive tried to sculpt likenesses from photo but find it difficult unless i have several views of the subject. Otherwise I take ideas and bits from several sources and make my own character instead ,which is more fun.
    Its interesting that while your working on a character that the slightest move while "pushing putty around"can alter the whole look.I can never determine how the finished article will turn out.Thats the magic of sculpting I find.
    Cheers
    Andy
  10. rej Well-Known Member

Malta
    Looking very good Andy!!

Keep them coming mate.......

Ray ;)
  11. amcairns A Fixture

New_Zealand
    Gidday,
    A bit more progress with painting.A left arm has been added and the pith helmet is being worked on at the moment.Hope the photography is a little better.Comments welcome.
    Andy

Attached Files:

12. amcairns A Fixture

New_Zealand
    Gidday All,
    here is a start on painting the horse.Most of the tack and bridle has been added.Painted in Vallejo and semco acrylics.comments welcome.
    Andy

Attached Files:

13. mil-mart A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Andy, superb paintwork on the horse, love how you've achieved the horsehair textured effect. (y)

Cheers Ken
  14. Dan Morton A Fixture

United-States
    Ken said it! Superb is the word! The aged leather look, the deep sunburn on the facial skin, the texture of the clothing and pith helmet - knocks my socks off!

All the best,
    Dan
  15. ubbi Active Member

Italy
    FANTASTIC !!

cheers

stefano
  16. amcairns A Fixture

New_Zealand
    Dan,Ken and Stefano,
    Thanks for the comments.its not far off from attaching the rider to the horse which will be done once the walk rope is attached to the bridle.
    Cheers
    Andy
  17. housecarl Moderator

United-Kingdom
    They've painted up well Andy, the horse is especially nice.
    Carl.
  18. amcairns A Fixture

New_Zealand
    Gidday,
    Here are pics of the horse and rider together.There is still a lot of painting to carry on with.comments welcome.
    Andy

Attached Files:

19. 1969 A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Dont know how i missed this one for so long, lovely job on the figure Andy but for me the horse is knockout mate, great texture to the head and very lifelike.

Top job mate

Steve
  20. amcairns A Fixture

New_Zealand
    Carl and Steve,
    Thanks for the comments.The reins still need adding and painting along with other bits and pieces.
    Cheers
    Andy