1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

WIP Dragoon Militia, Gell's Regt, 1643

Discussion in 'vBench (Works in Progress)' started by valiant, Aug 9, 2013.

1. valiant A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Hi guys,

It's been a while since I've worked on this, but I thought I'd post the work so far. Based on the 1/16 Miniart Netherlands Musketeer, 17th C. converted to represent an Ensign of the Dragoon Militia, Sir John Gell's Regt, 1643. This is intended to be a companion figure to my earlier Sergeant at Arms, Bagot's Regt, of the same era.

Much repositioning of the original kit, with obvious additions in Miliput, Duro and Pro Create.
    Last night, I added the guidon, still much detailing to do, fringing, embroidery, etc. Still some facial work to be done along with some more uniform detailing, adding "flesh" to the hands, spurs, belt buckles, etc. The right hand will be loosely holding a pewter tankard, when I get round to making it!

Hope you like it so far,

Steve(y)

Attached Files:

• JG 1.jpg
      JG 1.jpg
      File size:
      184.9 KB
      Views:
    • JG 2.jpg
      JG 2.jpg
      File size:
      178.6 KB
      Views:
    • JG 3.jpg
      JG 3.jpg
      File size:
      177.3 KB
      Views:
    • JG 4.jpg
      JG 4.jpg
      File size:
      184.8 KB
      Views:
    elanlane13, T50, CHRONOS and 7 others like this.
  2. maya8 Member

Canada
    Hi Steve,

Beautiful work. Very inspiring.

For painting, the figure can be disassembled (separate arms, guidon, etc)?

I have the same kit as yours, and decided too to rework it with more baggy pants, but intending to keep the subject of the Dutch musketeer. I assembled the body and reworked the boots and feet quite a bit. Then I quit, questioning the accuracy of the rest. I just have to find further references to kick in more motivation. [Perhaps 120mm is not for me: I always lean back towards 54mm.]

Cheers,

Patrick
  3. valiant A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Patrick,

Yes, everything is separate for ease of painting - when I finally get round to it!

Regarding accuracy of the kit, I think that it is based on the famous engravings of the Dutch musketeer. I have researched many pictures of the re-enactment societies on the net - It looks largely right, so that works for me!!

Steve
  4. Ferris A Fixture

Nice job! The figure looks much more realistic after your conversion work!

Adrian
  5. valiant A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Adrian - many thanks - lots of cutting and repositioning involved, there's not much of the original visible now, as you can see!! Im still not happy with the face yet, perhaps more surgery needed!

Steve
  6. T50 A Fixture

United-States
    Looking nice!!!
  7. Osvald Active Member

Latvia
    Great conversion.!
    Good character. Good figure.
    Decent work. I like it.