1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

Dragoon Horse tack! Crimean War

Discussion in 'General Figure Talk' started by Red Five, Jun 22, 2017.

1. Red Five Well-Known Member

United-Kingdom
    Had anybody got any definitive pictures on saddles, stirrups and general riding equipment issued to enlisted men for the 5th Dragoons during the Crimean war. I have lots of photographs of officers saddles with stirrups of an infinite variety strapped up in different ways.

A 5th Dragoon Sgt. Piping on the uniform gold lace or yellow. I know senior NCOs used to go for gold lace. Yellow stripe down breeches?
    winfield likes this.
  2. Nap Moderator

England
    Hi there

This might help a little

image.jpeg

Nap
    martin tabony, Chrisr and winfield like this.
  3. Nap Moderator

England
    This has the Lacer uniform but also the saddle !

Nap

image.jpeg
    martin tabony, Chrisr and winfield like this.
  4. Red Five Well-Known Member

United-Kingdom
    Thanks. I have that picture but how accurate is it?

Most of my references suggest a yellow stripe down the breeches and the helmet looks a bit silver rather than brass.

Just noticed the second. I have that one too.

It's the stirrup type. I believe it came in during or after the Crimean.

Thanks anyway.
    winfield likes this.
  5. Nap Moderator

England
    How about this

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Nap
    Chrisr and winfield like this.
  6. Nap Moderator

England
    Perhaps Mick3272 will see this questions as he loves the Virtorian Cavalry ...meantime

image.jpeg

Nap
    winfield likes this.
  7. Red Five Well-Known Member

United-Kingdom
    That saddle picture above is from the 120mm figure but is a copy of an officers saddle. You would loop the stirrups on themselves so they wouldn't wave around. I think your finding the same reference material as me from later.

Thanks again.
  8. Nap Moderator

England

Oh well I tried..... not sure what references you actually have to avoid duplicating

Nap
    Red Five likes this.
  9. Red Five Well-Known Member

United-Kingdom
    Thanks Nap.

I've been searching online on and off for a few weeks. I can tell you about Napoleonic and post Crimean but not a lot in between. I know that senior NCOs often used their own purchased equipment.

Andrew.
  10. valiant A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Hi Andrew, if you can get hold of a copy of "Into the Valley Of Death" there is good reference for the uniform. Yellow/gold stripe on trousers, gilt brass helmet, as you say. As far as I can ascertain, Heavy Dragoon horse furniture had not really advanced since Waterloo. The illustrations look very close to the Napoleonic era, with the addition of an expense pouch on the right flank. O/Rs still carried the carbine on a shoulder belt with a bucket attached under the blanket roll at the front of the saddle. Many of the horses and much of the tack were lost in a storm during the evening of the landings, so there may be some leeway whilst on campaign.

I think it is safe to assume that officers probably purchased kit privately. I hope this is of some use.

Steve(y)
    napoleonpeart likes this.
  11. Red Five Well-Known Member

United-Kingdom
    Thankyou Steve. You have helped a great deal. I do have "Into the Valley of Death".

I have the Mitches 200mm Dragoon Sgt full figure. At first glance the figure looks to have a lot of errors. Then I start looking at Fenton's photographs. The sword is non regulation but examples were privately purchased at the time or acquired. The facial hair looks a little French but can be found on British faces. The boots are non regulation but there are many examples of the type. I now find references about troopers cobbling together what they can find to put on their horse . Basically anything goes within reason.

Right going to Alclad spray the sword and stirrups!

Thanks

Andrew.
    valiant likes this.
  12. Richie A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Hi Andrew,
    In my limited knowledge there were very few modifications in saddlery from 1815 to 1853. Some in the Crimean period could have actually been Napoleonic pattern/modified. As you have answered yourself private purchase, self modifications and making do on campaign was a major factor. There are no definitive dress regulations on campaign and this goes for later periods. I can certainly vouch for this from my period.
    I presume you have looked at the following Fenton photo's, here are another couple from my book British Cavalry Equipment. You could also contact the regimental museum in York to see if they can shed any light on your queries.
    cheers
    Richie

5th dragoon guards.jpg 5th dragoon guards1.jpg 5th dragoon guards2.jpg 5th dragoon guards3.jpg 5th dragoon guards4.jpg
    napoleonpeart and Chrisr like this.
  13. Red Five Well-Known Member

United-Kingdom
    Thanks Richie. If you look at the two top Fenton photograph they are showing two types of stirrup.

I do not have the last illustration which is most useful

Andrew

Ps

Figure at weird zombie eye stage.

[IMG]
    peedee likes this.