1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

WIP Dragons de l'imperatrice 1856-1870

Discussion in 'vBench (Works in Progress)' started by billyturnip, Apr 14, 2015.

1. billyturnip A Fixture

England
    I've also been working on this demi-ronde piece for the past couple of weeks. It was started when I was last home on leave but it's starting to come together now.
    It's a bit of a strange piece particularly the horse, probably best described as "classical". I've seen oil on canvas paintings done in a similar way but can't remember who, can anyone help?

IMG_1727.JPG
  2. Ulrich A Fixture

Germany
    Looks "interesting" :rolleyes: Your are right = strange proportions. But I know you will paint it
    billyturnip likes this.
  3. Rich Sculpts A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Definitely has that old style of interpreting how a horse galloped - does not distract it from it being a fine figure.

Your style of painting seems to have changed a little, I like it a lot (richer colours, stacks more depth). Deserves a five out of five (y)(y)(y)(y)(y)

-Rich
  4. billyturnip A Fixture

England
    Thank you Rich. Yep you're right I have changed how I apply the paint. I'm now thinning the oils much more and building up the colour in thin layers.
    Rich Sculpts likes this.
  5. Rich Sculpts A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Great results (y)
  6. ellie A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    That would make a nice round figure.
    ian
  7. smudger1960 PlanetFigure Supporter

United-Kingdom
    I love the colours of that horse,it all looks great
  8. Viking Bob PlanetFigure Supporter

United-Kingdom
    Every one has said what I am thinking
  9. billyturnip A Fixture

England

Without the horse Ian, I've had my fill of fiddling about with reins, bits etc. Just standing around would do me.
  10. billyturnip A Fixture

England

Thank you Brian.
  11. Blind Pew A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Anthony van Dyke's Charles 1st
  12. billyturnip A Fixture

England

That's the one! The oddest looking horse on canvas. Well maybe not but you know what I mean, just odd.
  13. billyturnip A Fixture

England
    This one.
    [IMG]
    ChaosCossack likes this.
  14. Eludia A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Its looking good Roger. Anyone who paints flats has my greatest admiration, especially when done as well as this.

I finally plucked up the courage and picked up a couple of flats from the BFSS table at S&L on Saturday (plus a freebie :)). I don't know when I'll pluck up more courage to actually put some paint on them though, but great journeys always start with the first step as someone once said...probably (maybe).

I had a nice chat with the guy who was manning the table but I never caught his name (and forgot to take a card). I don't suppose you would know who was covering the table on Saturday (he had dark hair and a tache, I have the name Keith in my head but I'm probably way off). The reason I ask is that I wouldn't mind having a look at some more of his flats, he only had a few at the show.
  15. ChaosCossack A Fixture

Canada
    Painting looks great.
    The Dragoon does look like he's riding a Shettland pony :LOL:.

Nothing wrong with Charles' horse... just came from the salon with a fresh perm :sneaky: Purty

Colin
    Wings5797 and billyturnip like this.
  16. billyturnip A Fixture

England

Thanks very much Billy, it's a shame I didn't know you were there on Saturday. The bloke on the BFFS table was Chris Seeley. If you have any questions regarding painting of flats or obtaining them just drop me a pm and I'll do my best to help. Is there a particular size or subject your interested in?
  17. ellie A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Hi Rodger it would be on foot mate, been looking at doing a dragoon food for thought.

Cheers

ian

Ellie's Miniatures
  18. Tarracus A Fixture

Nothing wrong with the proportions. Horses (and mules) were like that during that era..o_O
    055_NapoleonIIIcaricature.JPG
  19. billyturnip A Fixture

England
    (y)

TRP_des_Dragons_Dragon_de_l_Imperatrice_Gde_Tenue_1854_1870_ok.jpg
    ChaosCossack likes this.
  20. MarquisMini A Fixture

Argentina
    Nice green Roger :)
    billyturnip likes this.