1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

Don Pelayo - Andrea Miniatures 54 mm

Discussion in 'vBench (Works in Progress)' started by fermatgom, Jan 18, 2017.

1. fermatgom A Fixture

Spain
    Hello all,

I’m currently working on this figure in parallel with some other projects. The figure belongs to the Andrea catalogue. It is somehow quite unnoticed but really the quality of sculping is superb, the cloak and the tunic folds are magnificent.

The figure depicts the Visigoth king Don Pelayo. He started the reconquest of Spain against the muslims in the eighth century. Of course it is just an imaginary recreation.

This Christmas the Three Wise Men brought me an airbrush (I must have been very good), so I thought this was a good chance to test it in a figure. The cloak is painted mainly with the airbrush and finished with the brush for some extreme lights and shadows. I’m quite happy with the result. I think that for big surfaces it can be a very useful tool, but the help of the brush is unavoidable.

The rest is painted in the standard way for acrylics.

The flesh is painted with a base of brown sand with some red and English uniform. Lights with basic flesh and shadows with black red. Glazed with violet, orange, old rose…

The tunic is painted with yellow olive green, lights with sunny skintone and shadows with black.

Comments are welcome!!! Thanks!
    IMG-20170117-WA0017.jpeg IMG-20170101-WA0016.jpeg IMG-20170117-WA0019.jpeg

Attached Files:

2. lancer115 Active Member

Ireland
    Looks like a very good start, the face is excellent as is the painting of the tunic.
    Very nice work, looking forward to seeing the figure completed.....John
    anstontyke, fermatgom and peedee like this.
  3. Viking Bob PlanetFigure Supporter

United-Kingdom
    Great face and a lovely start on this figure.
    anstontyke and fermatgom like this.
  4. peedee A Fixture

United-Kingdom
  5. stoffy01 PlanetFigure Supporter

Australia
    Love how you've been able to do a great job on the shading, both skin and clothing in this scale as well, well done!
    Regards
    Chris.

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk
  6. Mike Stevens PlanetFigure Supporter

United-States
    That is a really well sculpted face. My advice for what it is worth is to continue to push the highlights, you have room for a couple of more. I would also add more shadows and get super dark around the beard.

Best regards,

Mike
  7. Cristian Sartori Active Member

Italy
    I like it, good work
    anstontyke, fermatgom and Oda like this.
  8. clrsgt A Fixture

United-States
    An excellent start.
  9. Oda A Fixture

A 54mm figure (always a great way to start a comment on figure modelling) by Andrea from a time when Andrea was a paragon of quality,a veritable giant and an absolute heaven for figure modellers ( a long....long.....long....time ago unfortunately).This one is an absolute beauty.You have worked wonders so far and I think that it is going to be excellent when finished.I also like your choice of subject very much.

Oda.
  10. fermatgom A Fixture

Spain
    Thank you my friends for your comments and advices!

Wow! And I thought that I had gone too far with contrast! Every figure I'm pushing a little lights and shadows, but seem there is always room for more (y)

I agree with you. Every month I wait for their new releases but seldom I like them. Specially I can't understand why they consistently refuse to create figures in 70-75 mm which is the current "standard". Their last series of german figures is nice, but for me everything outside 54-90mm is too much :( Anyway they have such a big catalogue that you could spend the rest of your life just painting nice Andrea figures (y)
    Osebor, Oda and anstontyke like this.
  11. anstontyke A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    stunning painting, especially at that scale(y)

tony
    fermatgom, stoffy01 and Oda like this.
  12. fermatgom A Fixture

Spain
    Thank you Tony!
    anstontyke likes this.
  13. fermatgom A Fixture

Spain
    A couple of advances. The hair, based on japanese uniform. The end of the tunic based on cavalry brown. I didn't want to make a very complicated embroidery as I couldn't find any reliable historical source...
    IMG-20170125-WA0000.jpg
    Borek, Oda, stoffy01 and 6 others like this.
  14. phil_h A Fixture

United-States
    Looking wonderful so far, love the face, and the fabrics look great too.
    Phil
  15. fermatgom A Fixture

Spain
    Thank you Phil. Appreciated!
    Oda and anstontyke like this.
  16. fermatgom A Fixture

Spain
    Some progress. The end is near...
    Ah, there is no texture on the tunic... it's just a crappy phone camera ;)
    IMG-20170203-WA0000.jpg
    Borek, Oda, stoffy01 and 4 others like this.
  17. peedee A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Bery nice work on a tasty kit.

Paul
    anstontyke likes this.
  18. fermatgom A Fixture

Spain
    Thank you Paul!

Some leather... IMG-20170204-WA0000.jpg
    Borek, Oda, stoffy01 and 2 others like this.
  19. fermatgom A Fixture

Spain
    The figure is finished. Now it will be time for the groundwork. I will glue the hand with the sword at the end
    IMG-20170208-WA0006.jpg
  20. clrsgt A Fixture

United-States
    This one is looking better and better. I too received an airbrush as a birthday gift, but haven't had a chance to try it out yet. I have to wait for better weather. I've never used one before and did not think an airbrush would work too well on 54's. I've changed my opinion since seeing your results.
    fermatgom and anstontyke like this.