1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

Don Duijote de la Mancha Art Girona 75mm

Discussion in 'Figure News' started by Edorta, Oct 22, 2014.

1. Edorta A Fixture

Spain
    MCPWilk, Drenth, peedee and 10 others like this.
  2. pmfs A Fixture

Portugal
    Lovely figure from the hands of Latorre.

cheers
  3. megroot A Fixture

Netherlands
  4. Nicolaos Well-Known Member

Very artistic posture, but I don't understand why his abdomen is uncovered. It looks so strange!!!
    Jimbo likes this.
  5. Jimbo A Fixture

England
    This is a superb little figure, love the pose but like Nicolas I'm not sure about the exposed abdomen, think I'd have to add some armour there or maybe an undershirt.(y)
    Cheers
    Jim
  6. peedee A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Those who think they know the quixote story as we call it in English may not be fully aware of the circumstance of the original story as we were told it or as we read it usually in a later often adapted english version.
    The image we have of the character is most often formed from film and teleivision depictions of him, rather than the true literary depiction in the original two part work of 400 years ago!.
    For those who have a real interest have a look at www.donquijote.org.
    The statue to the great knight that they have chosen wears no armour at all, thereby we are offered anothpiction.
    So I personally feell the sculpt of a Spanish hero by a spaniard is valid as to his interpretation.
    In the same way as when we draw paint osculpt King arthur, athur pendragon Arthrus of Cameleon etc.

This extract from a history of Cervantes himself could explain better my reasoning:-

"Cervantes was the 4th of 7 children, Cervantes mother was named Leonor de Cortinas.

In terms of education, Cervantes had very little, or perhaps formal coursework was simply never recorded. He was a student of the Spanish humanist Juan Lopez de Hoyos in Madrid, from 1568-1569 only to go to Rome the next year under the watch of Guilio Acquavita. Acquavita was ordained as a cardinal in 1570.

Cervantes, with many other Spanish men, next went to Rome to find a better life and seek opportunity to fund his writing. Cervantes ended up joining the Spanish infantry in Naples instead. It should be noted that throughout his military experiences Cervantes enjoyed his time and was popular amongst the ranks.

In 1571 the headwaters of war met at Cyprus. In the Mediterranean, on the Gulf of Lepanto, the Ottman Empire was moving to expand power and land control. Cervantes´s company was called to fight. Cervantes fought honorably as many accounts have stated. However he also sustained a wound to the chest, and a debilitating wound to the left hand that earned him the nickname Manco de Lepanto (Maimed of Lepanto).

Shortly after the Gulf of Lepanto, Cervantes was on passage home when his vessel was captured by pirates. Cervantes was taken to Algiers and kept in slavery for 5 years despite several failed escape attempts.

In 1580 with the help of family and enormous sums of money gathered by the Trinitarian monastery, Cervantes was released. It is speculated during his captivity Cervantes gathered material and inspiration for his first works and Don Quijote characters. His first play, Los tratos de Argel (The Treatment of Algiers) was based on his time held captive in Africa.

In 1584 Cervantes married Catalina de Salazary Palacios, the couple did not have any children although Cervantes did have a daughter through an affair with an actress. Cervantes would leave his wife and face unrelated financial difficulties that landed him in jail several times, once suspected of murder (he was never tried).

In 1605, now in Madrid, the first installment of Don Quijote was released and was met with immediate success. In 1615, the second and final installment was published and also had great success; both pieces were translated into English, French, and Italian. Unfortunately Cervantes had sold the rights to his work and although some of his financial burdens were eased he never managed his money well enough to be a wealthy man. The silver lining for Cervantes could only have been the literary recognition for his talent, the majority of which came after his death.
    Cervantes also wrote dozens of plays and short stories though none as popular or as heralded as Don Quijote. " Don%20quijote%20001.jpg
    Most of the illustrations I have seen even those used to illustrate the story from long ago are like the Vicotrion illustrations of Vikings with horned helms, at best fanciful imaginations, and why not.my contention is he's a fanciful figure, and any depiction, if made with affection for the character is "the correct " one for you.
    Happy modelling,

Paul
    J.A.Hidalgo likes this.
  7. Ron Tamburrini A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Great information Paul but I wish you widnae use all those long words :)

Great Sculpt it is too

Ron
    peedee and Jimbo like this.
  8. peedee A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Ha ha ha, I didn't even know anyone had read this

Fair put me in my place that did big man !

It is just like painting robin hood or william tell though isn't it.

Good stuff !