1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

WIP DML 1/16 6th Army Oberfeldwebel 1942

Discussion in 'vBench (Works in Progress)' started by gothicgeek, Dec 22, 2009.

1. gothicgeek A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    It's that annoying Geek again :p

my other paintjob just started is this injection plastic job from Dragon from 2000.

added seams where i could, tried to get the gear fitting a bit tighter to the body, sweetened up the gun and closed the hands ( a bit! ) also added some etch and straps, sharpened detail on the face etc....

just spent a few hours tonight on the face and realised what Tony Dawe said in a recent WIP he did of a 54mm figure was bang on! the contrast is much higher on a small face than a large one, i got to add an almost white final top highlight on this face and on the diver bust i 've been working on at 1/9th, i had to tone that right down! thanks Tony for the observation, helped me to make sense of the effect :)

enough lip flapping here's some pictures :)

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

still to add are the chest eagle and binocular straps

:)

comments,crits and corrections most welcome

;)

Attached Files:

2. housecarl Moderator

United-Kingdom
    Absolutely splendid skin tones Old Chap.
    Carl.
  3. Barke02 Active Member

United-Kingdom
    Excellent start Mark!

I think Dragon had an 'off day' with the shape of the stahlhelm though!

You might be better off replacing it with a more accurate one, either from the Dragon Wehrmacht cavalry figure (which seems to me pretty accurate) or a resin version from the replacement head set by (the now defunct?) 'Warriors'.

Cheers,
    Jon.
  4. pmfs A Fixture

Portugal
    Hello Mark,

awesome face, congrats
    Merry Christmas(y)
  5. tonydawe A Fixture

Australia
    Very nice start on the face mate. Glad my little comment about contrast and scale came in handy. You seem to have made good use of my advice.
  6. amcairns A Fixture

New_Zealand
    Mark,
    Nice work with painting the face,the eyes are great,they really have a focus.
    Andy
  7. Chris Oldfield A Fixture

England
    Mark,
    That face is great, he looks like one of those WW2 Wehrmacht recruiting posters or a front cover from Signal magazine.
    Keep us updated!
    Cheers,
    Chris(y)
  8. Ferris A Fixture

That a very good face Mark! I particularly like the eyes, and am glad to see there are Germans without blue eyes too...

I still have a stack of DML figures to finish, so I will follow with interest!

Good luck with further progress!

Adrian
  9. 1969 A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    for me those eyes are the dogs (reproduction system) mate, you just keep improving with your facial painting.

Steve(y)
  10. ubbi Active Member

Italy
    very beautiful start, great skin tones and i echo the others for the eyes, they are very well done !!

cheers

stefano
  11. kansas kid Well-Known Member

United-States
    Mark:

This is one super close up photo that shows some highly skilled painting
    on that face. Usually, when the camera lens is so close, the flaws are more
    visable. Not with this guy.

Wow, I echo what the others are saying. So much subtle shading on
    this face. And the eyes are so well done, as well. Eager to see it all
    come together, Mark. . . with more SBS photos and text.

Jayhawker
  12. Meehan34 A Fixture

United-States
    Awesome work on the face, I am excited to see the finished product.
  13. T50 A Fixture

United-States
    Those eyes... excellent work so far!!!
  14. gothicgeek A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Carl .... many thanks old bean! ammo belt was away yesterday so you will get it tween xmas and new year ;)

Jon .... thanks for the input, yeah i have the helmet from the cavalrey set and its a lot nicer! cheers! :)

Pedro ... thanks! and returned :)

Tony ... many thanks and it's remarkable how pearls of wisdom can work out! that one was a cracker and i thank you again :)

Andy ... thanks :)

Chris ... thanks again, and yeah about the propaganda face! i thought it a little bland but ok. how wrong was i? ;)

Adrian ... many thanks! this was probably the plainest figure from Dragon in my stash ( challenge! ) but i think they are superb for the price :)

Steve ... many thanks again mate :)

Stefano .. again thank you!

Jayhawker ..... thanks man! the use of extreme close-up points out all the error's i make, so doing an SBS will actually show the weak areas. however i did this one pretty much on the fly once i had the eye's done, about 3 hours steady work, half hour for everything to dry and another hour to here. maybe 1/2 hour more to tighten it up and hide that blob of burnt umber on the forehead :)

Mike ... thanks :)

Taesung ... many thanks again :)

no update yet, i'm taking the figure apart tonight to aid painting, arms, torso and legs. the head and helmet are already loose :)

And thanks for all the replies :)

Mark
  15. rej Well-Known Member

Malta
    Very nice start Mark, keep him wet :)

Ray ;)
  16. mao A Fixture

Italy
    is he alive?
  17. megroot A Fixture

Netherlands
    They eyes have it. Great work.
    Like your skintone's but they are in my opinion to reddish. But that's mine.
    Further you are doing a great paintjob.

Marc
  18. mil-mart A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Mark, great painting so far, you've certainly excelled yourself with your trademark eyes. Excellent, will follow. (y)

Cheers Ken
  19. gothicgeek A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Ray ... many thanks :) i will ;)

Maurizio ... thank you! your too kind :)

Marc .... agreed it is very red, but i wanted to see what it would look like :) and thank you.

Ken ... many thanks :) i was pretty unhappy with the eyes till i saw those photo's ......

Update .... been working on the uniform colour .... still lots of time to spend on the transitions and sharpening up the creases all over the place. started blocking in the kit as i need to get it all tied together and start shading things in, if that makes sense? i mean that i need to drop shadows on the field grey uniform and on the item casting the shadow, so there is a sharp line between them. hmmm i'll work on a better explanation than that and i'll do a few pics to demonstrate :)

picture.............

[IMG]
  20. housecarl Moderator

United-Kingdom
    Coming along nicely, I see that you have changed the helmet.
    Carl.