1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

Detaille's 'Vive l'Empereur' and Alphonse de Neuville's 'Rorkes Drift' paintings

Discussion in '"Today in History", Literature & Media Review' started by Mat Lambert, Jun 8, 2015.

1. Mat Lambert A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    I stumbled across these today and thought others may be interested too.

First is a youtube lecture by Richard Beresford, curator of European Art at the Art Gallery of New South Wales discussing the painter Detaille, his painting 'Vive l'Empereur' and Alphonse de Neuville's 'Rorkes Drift' (both paintings at NSW , how lucky are they!). Actually he begins by talking about another painting of Detaille working in his studio but works in a lot of other stuff including the Franco Prussian war, large scale military panoramas of the time, the painter Meissonier and the Rorkes Drift painting too.

Second is a shorter audio clip of Richard Beresford just talking about Alphonse de Neuville's 'Rorkes Drift'

http://www.artgallery.nsw.gov.au/discover-art/take-a-tour/online-tours/curator-insights-rb/

If you like historical military art or 19th century military history then they are really worth a listen. (I know there are a few on PF that like to get anything they can on Rorkes Drift anyway - Richie!)

Cheers
    Mat
    peedee and billyturnip like this.
  2. Barke02 Active Member

United-Kingdom
    I thought I'd just look at the first five minutes, but it was so good I watched the whole thing.

What a great lecture, thanks Mat.
    Mat Lambert likes this.