1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

WIP Defending the colours...so far

Discussion in 'vBench (Works in Progress)' started by Grod, Feb 1, 2012.

1. Grod A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Hello Folks
    This is the 120mm The Buffs Defending the Colours set from mitchesmilitarymodels.co.uk completed to date. The base measures 17" x 11".
    I hope to be adding further figures for the set soon along with some alternate headgear options details of which I will post on PF.
    Cheers
    Gordon

Attached Files:

gudel, Mariner, ChaosCossack and 4 others like this.
  2. housecarl Moderator

United-Kingdom
    Impressive Gordon.
    Carl.(y)
  3. MarquisMini A Fixture

Argentina
    wholly molly,what a great vignette :)
  4. megroot A Fixture

Netherlands
    Very nice work.
    The sable from the mounted soldier on the white horse is bend....maybe you can straighten it up.

marc
  5. Babelfish A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    They're certainly nicely sculpted figures and are well painted. My main criticism is that the defenders' faces look too calm and relaxed (bored-looking, almost) for the situation being depicted. I think more grit, aggression and determination in the defenders' expressions would have really improved the overall effect and added greatly to the atmosphere. And the British officer with the flag just looks to be standing around without a care in the world, utterly detached from the other figures and not even relating to any unseen enemy off the other side of the base.

Also, the mounted French officer just looks to be gently tickling and tapping at the ends of the infantrymens' bayonets with his sword - a bit more of the old "slash & hack" wouldn't have gone amiss there IHMO.

- Steve
    ChaosCossack, Steve and captnenglish like this.
  6. Grod A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Hello Steve
    Many thanks for your comments.
    The initial figures are based on the painting by Willaim Barnes Wollen with an addition of the mounted british officer and the drummer. It's worth having a look at the painting to see how the figures fit. (http://www.military-art.com/mall/more.php?ProdID=4943) The mounted Lancer officer is some distance from the group and looks as though he is wheeling around them weighing up his options as opposed to actually slashing at them. I have moved him a bit closer to the infantrymen in order to concentrate the group. The ensign does look a bit detached but this is also in keeping with the painting.
    Cheers
    Gordon
  7. Figurenfreund66 Well-Known Member

Germany
    Hi Gordon

great, I love the drama in the presentation.

Cheers

Hendryk
  8. smudger1960 PlanetFigure Supporter

United-Kingdom
    Gordon congratulations on a very nice composition,the figures are well painted as well,however i have to agree with steve in regards to the officer defending the colour,he does seem detached from the group and isolated,if the work is still in progress perhaps he could be changed to face the attack and closer to the infantry in a tighter composition.

A very nice job though,and thanks for posting (y)(y)(y)

Brian
  9. Ventress Well-Known Member

England
    Brilliant job of some excellent figures. (y)