1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

Completed Defeat - Russia 1812

Discussion in 'vBench (Works in Progress)' started by smudger1960, Jan 14, 2014.

1. smudger1960 PlanetFigure Supporter

United-Kingdom
    Finaly finished this latest project depicting a French hussar during the Retreat of 1812,every so often I like to undertake something like this,winter subjects are one of my favourites and I've seen some stunning figures and busts related to this subject.
    I think a lot of modeller's tend to shy away from these type of subjects because of the weathering process required to bring off a good model,i like to do them because you can let yourself go and use ones imagination in trying to capture the anguish and torture of a soildier on campaign,also there are no hard and fast rules in how you do it,winter subjects don't just need to be dioramas,we can also bring something to the subject of busts as well,i hope with this piece it will show just how far a modeller can push the bounderies in relation to weathering and still produce a striking piece.
    In the previous 2 postings I explained some of the techniques I use so I wont go into them again,i hope you enjoy the pictures of the final piece,i just have some tiny bits to complete like adding bits of gloss varnish here and there to add a bit of sparkle to some of the frosted areas.
    All comments and criticism welcome :)

Happy Modeling

Brian / Smudger

winter final 003.JPG winter final 008.JPG winter final 010.JPG winter final 017.JPG winter final 018.JPG winter final 021.JPG winter final 022.JPG winter final 023.JPG winter final 025.JPG winter final 031.JPG winter final 032.JPG winter final 033.JPG winter final 034.JPG winter final 035.JPG winter final 036.JPG winter final 037.JPG
    Aveleira, Tonton, jerry and 8 others like this.
  2. Wings5797 A Fixture

France
    Just superb Brian.
    Great interpretation Mate.
    Cheers,
    Keith
  3. smudger1960 PlanetFigure Supporter

United-Kingdom
    Many thanks Keith for your kind comments, I'm glad you liked the finished result (y)
    Wings5797 likes this.
  4. Eludia A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Fantastic work Brian. Makes me feel cold just looking at him.

Many thanks for sharing his pain with us :)

Billy
  5. Nap Moderator

England
    Just got to agree with what Keith has said ..superb work and he looks so cold as well

Thanks for sharing

Nap
  6. debrito A Fixture

Canada
    WOW, excellent conversion, great weathering also.....
    Great Job Brian....(y)
  7. megroot A Fixture

Netherlands
    Great weathering, good paintwork.
    Like what you have done.

Marc
  8. taff edwards A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Hi Brian
    What a fantastic job ,and no mean feat to get the right effect ,I agree that this type of figure depicting this story really allows the painter to experiment ,and try different methods .
    I must say you really captured the essence of that awful time for the troops of Napoleons army fantastic ,and often harder with a bust as you dont have the ground work/ full figure concept to enhance the senario you are trying to create ......time for a cup of soup, to warm up ......Job done mate .
    It's strange when I get a figure and read up on the back ground I try to get a mind set for the conditions ,and the accompanying stress that goes with being a front line soldier , that's why I love the figures of Andy Cairns they are sculpted with the intention of creating the atmosphere of slogging it out in harsh and inhospitable conditions
    Beaut mate

Cheers Chris
    DEL likes this.
  9. DEL A Fixture

Scotland
    A brilliant interpretationBrian. You really are a master of atmosphere.
    Cheers
    Derek
  10. smudger1960 PlanetFigure Supporter

United-Kingdom
    Many thanks Billy for those comments,glad you liked it (y)
  11. smudger1960 PlanetFigure Supporter

United-Kingdom
    Many thanks Kev,glad you liked the result mate (y)
  12. smudger1960 PlanetFigure Supporter

United-Kingdom
    Many thanks Debrito for your comments,look forward to seeing your Russian retreat piece when its completed (y)
  13. smudger1960 PlanetFigure Supporter

United-Kingdom
    Thanks very much marc,glad you liked the result mate,(y)
  14. smudger1960 PlanetFigure Supporter

United-Kingdom
    Thanks very much Chris for your kind comments,i'm glad you liked the overall result,its funny that you mention about getting the mind set for a particular figure or bust and a scene in your head because that's what I do for all my pieces,i do a lot of research before I even assemble a piece,for me that's part of the enjoyment and it prepares me better for what I want to achieve,(y)
  15. smudger1960 PlanetFigure Supporter

United-Kingdom
    Thank you very much Del for those kind words, I'm not sure about a Master but its a lovely compliment, hope you're keeping well mate and painting plenty,i'm sticking with Russia for my next piece as well, The Revolution is my next project (y)
  16. garyhiggins A Fixture

England
    Hi Brian, it is a general principle of modelling that a vignette must tell a story,,, well I think you might have invented a new category-the single bust vignette.
    It is a really lovely piece,and how you do things so fast, I will never know.
    Best wishes, Gary.
  17. John Bowery A Fixture

United-States
    Nicely finished.
    Cheers
    John
  18. smudger1960 PlanetFigure Supporter

United-Kingdom
    Cheers Gary,I love to something extra as you know and this piece was no exception,glad you liked it mate :)
  19. smudger1960 PlanetFigure Supporter

United-Kingdom
    Man
    Many thanks John for your continued support,glad you liked it :)
  20. Aveleira A Fixture

Portugal
    I repeat what I've said before ;)

Regards
    Pedro