1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

Completed Deaths Head Hussar

Discussion in 'vBench (Works in Progress)' started by Tecumsea, Mar 3, 2010.

1. Tecumsea PlanetFigure Supporter

England
    Just finished this kit by Fonderie miniatures. A number of firsts for me,
    Painting detailed braid, painting a black figure and my first horse for 20 years (Didn't pick up a brush for the last 18)

The figure is let down by the powder resin used by Fonderie which is very brittle. Consequently things like the Sabretash rings were broken and I am not skilled/brave enough to scratch build new ones so I relied on Epoxy glue to keep things together. As a result I don't regard this as a show piece but just one for the cabinet.

Tommi keeps telling me to break out one of my expensive Pegaso mounted kits, having finished this one and been quite pleased with the result, I guess I feel ready to give it a go.

Keith

Attached Files:

2. Tecumsea PlanetFigure Supporter

England
    A few more pictures-sorry about the quality-shot in the garden this afternoon-we actually had some sunshine

Attached Files:

3. MikkoH Member

Finland
    Looks very good! I have myself made Historex version about Hussard de la Mort. Uniform details are bit different than on your figure. But seems that nobody really knows how things went.:)
  4. jcichon Active Member

United-States
    Really nice work. I have done a Fondierie kit and have 2 mounted kits still in waiting and I agree, the resin is super brittle!! But really nice work
  5. Michael Tse Active Member

HongKong
    A muscular horse, brought to life.
  6. kansas kid Well-Known Member

United-States
    You have done a very nice job on this equestrian figure, Keith. I really
    like it. And I noticed that your reins look so natural, and realistic. What
    material did you use for that?

Well done,

K Kid
  7. housecarl Moderator

United-Kingdom
    Having seen this little gem in the flesh, the photos come nowhere near doing it justice.
    Carl.
  8. megroot A Fixture

Netherlands
    Keith,
    What i can see from these pictures is that you did some awesome paintjob.
    If Tommi said that you have to break open the Pegaso Kit, believe me you can handle them.
    Hope to see one painted soon.

Marc
  9. ubbi Active Member

Italy
    beautiful job Keith, both on the rider and on the horse ...break it out !!

cheers

stefano
  10. 1969 A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Thats a nice finish to both rider and horse Keith, you really set yourself some challenges with this one mate and it payed off.

Steve(y)
  11. Tommi A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    You have worked very hard on this and it really shows. Your painting techniques have really come a long way in the past twelve months, time to break into your very large stash of figures and pull out a few of those hidden treasures to paint up next.
    Excellent
    Tommi
  12. John Bowery A Fixture

United-States
    Keith,
    It looks very nice and a super horse. Well worth a Pegaso.
    Cheers
    John
  13. mil-mart A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Keith, great painting and I look forward to seeing more of your work posted.(y)

Cheers Ken
  14. Christos Well-Known Member

Greece
    Keith looks very nice!!!
    chris
  15. Redcap A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Death Hussar

Great work Keith and I know how much hard work has gone into this.

Look forward to seeing it in person in the not too distant future.

Cheers mate!
    Gary
  16. Tecumsea PlanetFigure Supporter

England
    Thank you all for your kind comments, they are much appreciated.

Rick-the reins were made from electricians black insulating tape cut to size. The original Fonderie reins had snapped and so I glued the buckles etc to the tape but it doesn't stand close scrutiny due to the different thicknesses. The photos flatter the kit in areas of detail which would be much more precise in a more modern production. Going back to the tape however it does hang well, has excellent pliability and works with all scales.

Keith
  17. blabsy PlanetFigure Supporter

United-Kingdom
    Hi Keith,
    the subject matter has been a fave of mine well since i can remember,well I was 9!
    Hat off to you mate,for keeping going with it,a good friend gave me the Historex one years ago.....and its still in the box.
    Nice to see the finished peice, top effort mate well done.
    Your spot on about the electrical tape by the way.
    Best Regards
    Paul
    www.paulblaber1.moonfruit.com
  18. Tecumsea PlanetFigure Supporter

England
    Hi Paul, thanks for your comments.....I've been following the Black Duke..look forward to seeing it painted!

Keith
  19. blabsy PlanetFigure Supporter

United-Kingdom
    Hi Keith,
    its at the casters at the mo,fingers crossed,its been bit of a pipe dream cince I started sculpting, at Gravesham club there's been a few god's David Greive,John Tassel so on,I'm just paddling in their wake! Very hard to hold a candle to people like them.
    Best Regards
    Paul
    www.paulblaber1.moonfruit.com