1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

DAS modelling clay....is it any good

Discussion in 'Just starting...' started by Eludia, Jan 24, 2014.

1. Eludia A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Hi folks,

Picked up a 500g lump of DAS air drying modellling clay today from the Range for next to nothing (less than £2) and was just wondering if any of you guys had used it before and what are your opinions, good, bad or indifferent?

Thanks in advance,
    Billy
  2. Waterman Active Member

Yes I've used it in scenery. Make sure it dries out, you can give it a coat of white glue thinned down with water to seal it before painting. It is basically fine chopped up paper in some sort of medium
  3. Mike S. Well-Known Member

United-States
    For scenery I use the more abundantly available equivalent in the U.S., Celluclay. I don't think that I would use it for anything other than groundwork, at least not in the conventionally found scales we generally work in with this hobby.
  4. Borek A Fixture

Czech-Republic
    I agree with the guys. This type of materials is only suitable for terrain modeling. This Clay is very rough for sculpting, in addition, when dries it shrinks. And cracking in thin layers. A lot of the properties of this material is completely useless for figure sculpting or scratching. But for the terrain is ideal, mainly due to the ratio of price / properties.. Cheers Borek
  5. Waterman Active Member

I found a sculpting clay in Hobbies for about the same price as Daz. It is Terracotta in colour and comes from China, Where else? It is very fine and looks and feels like that which traditional sculptors use. It says on the pkt that if it starts to dry out then it can be brought back with water. Again I used it for a scenic base,and sealed it with thinned white PVA glue,before painting and adding scenics. It dried rock hard.
  6. moz A Fixture

England
    DAS ..........Its nearly as good as Dog Sh*t ,but not quite.
  7. Waterman Active Member

What about Bull Sh:t ? That's more readily available.
    Rich Sculpts likes this.
  8. balder PlanetFigure Supporter

Canada
    I also have used it for groundwork. I usually put a white glue over the base to help it stick. It works ok and is nice and cheap.

Gerald
  9. Helm A Fixture

England
    Blimey is this still around ? It used to be highly thought of back in the 70's apparently not so much now :sneaky:
    Steve
  10. tonydawe A Fixture

Australia
    I use it for groundwork on bases but not for sculpting.