1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

"Darkstar Miniatures" Acrylic Metallic Paints

Discussion in 'Reviews , Video Reviews and Open Book' started by taff edwards, Sep 18, 2014.

1. taff edwards A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Hi all
    When I was at figure world Steve from Darkstar asked to have a look at some acrylic metallic paints that will be available and being launched at the forthcoming Euro Militare Competition and trade show .
    These paints come in the traditional 17ml plastic bottle with screw tops .
    On getting them home I was interested to find that who had come up with the idea was thinking out side the box (bottle) with the regard this selection of paints . image.jpg

They come in the following categories

Silver

Old silver

Bronze

Blackened Bronze

Classic Gold

Gold

Regency Gold

image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg

I have used theses paints on some of my work in progress figures and I can say that they are excellent to work with . The pigments are extremely fine and give very good coverage also the variations on similar colours opens the pallet for the painter with quick mixes and washes creating really great effects .
    The are very good in the form of washes and filtering ,and have a very effective translucent quality .
    I have used them on my Storm Trooper Guards man and I am very pleased with the effect . image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg

I have also redone the brass/ Gold effect on my 44th Foot Gandamack bust and really like the effect using variations of the different colours in the selection .
    I at present doing a bust Wasteland Warrior which has area of metal work which I think theses paints will really enhance .
    image.jpg image.jpg

These I feel are a very well thought out selection of acrylic metallic paints which I feel the modeller will get great use out of and is a clever addition to the work bench , and I do hope there is more to come .

cheers Chris
    Jamie Stokes, Eludia and Tommi like this.
  2. Nap Moderator

England
    Nice review and good to have you back on PF as well Chris

Thanks for sharing these

Nap
  3. taff edwards A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Cheers Mate
    It's good to be back ,man its been a journey that's for sure on of which I will not intending to repeat that's for sure ,getting sorted so will be attending our get togethers more often really do miss them .
    On wards and up wards
    Cheers Chris
  4. zane666 Well-Known Member

New_Zealand
    I'll 2nd that.

regards Zane
  5. taff edwards A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Cheers Zane
    It's good to be back really is
    Cheers Chris
  6. Tommi A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Nice review and looks like the paints are working well for you.
    I used the steel colour on the new darkstar roman figure this week with amazing results. I primed the figure in black then dry brushed it with the steel paint with a small stiff brush. The paint went on a treat and there was no smudging effect that you get with some metallic paints. The best bit about it was that it got more polished the more I dry brushed it. Very nice effect from an extremely fine pigment paint.
    Cheers
    Tommi
    zane666 likes this.
  7. taff edwards A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Hi Mate
    They really are cracking paints I think because of the quality of the pigments it gives you that versatility of use which is always the sign of a well put together product ,I am looking forward to experimenting with the paints on my Wasteland Warrior .the testers on the post were on a gray undercoat and as I did it I noticed how you could create a really translucent effect sadly it was hard to get that effect represented on the pics ,but your post has confirmed the versatility of the paints .
    Cheers Chris
  8. Richard Baxter A Fixture

Scotland
    Are these available to buy yet?
  9. taff edwards A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Hi Richard

Yea I think they are , iam sure there will me some on sale at euro if you are going or if not give him a bell , Darkstar number is 07543514749 , they do have a new Webb site www.darkstarmini.co.uk.
    Obviously with Steve being at Euro he will be pretty busy but I am sure you will be able to get the info you need , hope that helps Rich
    Cheers Chris
  10. Jimbo A Fixture

England
    Good review Chris, I'll have to have a closer look at them first but they do look good.(y)
    Cheers
    Jim
  11. taff edwards A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    I know you are an oil man Jimbo , but I have to say in all honesty they are excellent, Ok I was provided with them to do the review ,however not to be honest with the review would be a disservice to Steve and my fellow modellers ,they really do the job , and the mixing up of certain colours really does give some super effects .
    On thing I did notice was that the bottles are a little softer in construction which in effect when shaking you can manipulate the bottle with your fingers thus getting a better mix , and with my weak and frail hands really helps lol need chocolate biscuits lol

Cheers Chris
    Jimbo and napoleonpeart like this.
  12. swralph A Fixture

Thanks for sharing Chris
    Ralph
  13. Richard Baxter A Fixture

Scotland
    Diolch yn fawr, Taff.
  14. maco61 A Fixture

Italy
    Thanks for sharing.
    Ciao by Maco
  15. taff edwards A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Hi Richard Ralph Maco
    Thanks for the reply fellas , wish I had been able to go to Euro :-(
    Cheers Chris
  16. Adrian Cowdry Well-Known Member

Useful review - I wish I'd seen it before Sunday. I would have picked some up. Oh well off to Dark Star . com...!

Cheers
  17. steve c Active Member

United-Kingdom
    Hi All

We now have new stock of all 15 of the metals in so if you are looking to
    get your hands on them just go to the website

www.darkstarmini.co.uk

Many thanks to all that purchased some at Euro hope to see how you all got on with them at some point on PF.

We will also be at Telford in November if you want to see them before buying.
  18. Jaybo Well-Known Member

United-States
    Will there be a distributor in the States or can we order directly?
  19. steve c Active Member

United-Kingdom
    we are looking for a distributor in the states, so if you know of anybody please let us know.