1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

Dark World Creations - Judge Dredd 1/10 bust

Discussion in 'Reviews , Video Reviews and Open Book' started by Tommys War, Apr 11, 2015.

1. Tommys War A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Title: Judge Dredd
    Manufacturer: Dark World Creations
    Scale: 1/10
    Price: £38.40
    Available from: www.darkworldcreations.com

1977, and I was a skinny 10 year old with a mass of ginger hair (I know that's hard to believe) living in Great Barr, a suburb of Birmingham.

I was an avid reader at the time (still am), and if you know me, then it won't surprise you to know that my favourite subjects were my comics (Warlord, Battle Picture weekly and Victor) but also the Commando series of picture books and frankly anything to do with the military or military history.

But in that year I was to be hooked by another subject, one which for me had never really caught my imagination, science fiction, with the launch of a new comic series - 2000AD.

I was hooked by the characters: Strontium Dog, Rogue Trooper, ABC Warriors and the daddy of the comic - Judge Dredd.

As Star Wars came, it never pushed me off my weekly wait for the next installment of the comic (my brother was the Star Wars one, I liked Star Wars but it never really appealed). So, the release of 2000AD figures from DWC has come none too soon for my liking, and its great to see the characters from my childhood in resin!

The figure

Enough of the history lesson, on to the figure!

I was delighted when DWC went from their 70mm range to busts, and they have started with an absolute corker - Dredd himself!

The first thing that caught my attention with this was how dynamic the bust appears, its certainly an eye-catching figure:

[IMG]

How it arrived

It was with a great deal of excitement that I opened the box last week, and I wasn't disappointed, inside were all the components:

[IMG]

It's very obvious where all the parts fit and amazingly the first image in this thread is a dry-fit of all the parts, no glue or preparation was made at all.

So, on inspection, what do I think:

The parts are cast in a light grey resin, the quality of the casting is absolutely top-drawer, really first class with all the elements showing no bubbles or distortion.

Sculpted digitally, the figure is presented beautifully and I have to say its without doubt the finest digital subject I have ever seen. In another review of a Pathos Miniatures figure I talk of only having 3 digital figure companies that I use at the moment - let me say now that Dark World Creations are top of that list!

I've known Rin at DWC for about 4 years, we met at Euro Militaire in 2011, and have kept in touch since, so I know the passion he has for figures, and this comes through completely in this figure which fits together flawlessly. I can see his attention to detail throughout the figure, the cuts are perfect and even at the bottom of the torso there is an area to fix to a plinth - guess what? That piece is exactly the same diameter of the wooden plinth he very kindly sent me.

On to the parts:

So lets investigate each part:

[IMG]

You can see from the torso the quality in the resin, and how does that important 'DREDD' badge produce, well....

[IMG]

...perfect!

Now on to the face:

[IMG]

That chiseled chin we've come to expect of Dredd, lots of lovely detail!

With helmet:

[IMG]

And complete:

[IMG]

The verdict

As a 2000AD fan of some (many) years I've got to say that this is simply an outstanding representation of one of the most iconic British science fiction figures.

In terms of price, I've got to say I think its good value. It's great quality, developed, sculpted and cast in the UK and it is officially licenced (with the according royalty to the licence holders being due).

For me, I think the subject of the licence is an important part of this figure. 2000AD still runs in the UK and is sold worldwide, in competitive markets the guys that run that business still have to make money, and I for one am happy to support them.

This is a top quality production of what is, for me, an iconic subject. I don't know if my meager painting skills are worthy of something this good, but it really is screaming to be painted, so I will have a go, and there are no eyes!

Overall, highly recommended. My message to DWC? Keep 'em coming!
    Ogr, Jazz, Eludia and 4 others like this.
  2. doedskvad Member

Germany
    Nice Quality and subject. But... is it just me or do the upper arms look a bit... meager for a muscly guy like Dredd?
  3. Tommys War A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    The arms are fine - its just the angle you see there. There is plenty of muscle definition. Dredd in the comic series was muscular, but not that bulky, many people still think of Dredd from the movie with Stallone.
  4. Alex Long A Fixture

England
    It looks like a terrific piece of work and a bang on perfect comic book version of Dredd, which is how he should be. Musculature is exactly as it should be for a miniature based on Bolland or McMahon artwork. Great stuff and super review Darren.

Alex.
  5. Martin Philpott Active Member

England
    Very nice review of a great bust Darren, great read, thanks for sharing.

Martin.
  6. Mike - The Kiwi A Fixture

New_Zealand
    Almost seems appropriate for Dredd to be finest digital sculpt so far ;)
    Thanks for heads up Darren and detail here.
    I'm mulling over this being my first digital.
    Hmmmm...

How could I weather him?

Stay safe
    Mike
    napoleonpeart likes this.
  7. chris1 Active Member

Certainly more Karl Urban than Sly Stallone (thank god)

Chris
  8. Nap Moderator

England
    Hi Darren,

Great review mate , cracking subject ...very tempted on this one ...definitely a company to look out for

Thanks for sharing

Nap
  9. Eludia A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Great review Darren (y)

This is definitely one for the wish list, it's nice to see it's more realistically priced than some of the earlier DWC stuff. It's something that's put me off buying before but this sure looks like it's worth a punt :)

Many thanks.
  10. Akritas Active Member

Cyprus
    Great review! This is a must have although I am not a fantasy figure painter! But is brought back childhood memories (and I'm not young :) )
  11. Carlos Figure Art Active Member

Thanks for the review and images mate, that cast really looks flawless!! this could be my first Digi' also, having previously moved on any I had in the collection as I wasn't impressed ...
    Jazz likes this.
  12. garyhiggins A Fixture

England
    Looks great, I love the quality of the engineering.
    Best wishes, Gary.
  13. Jimbo A Fixture

England
    I received my copy of this bust a few days ago & I must say it's a very good clean, sharp casting, great quality bust
    Cheers
    Jim(y)
  14. NikToo New Member

Does anyone know if this bust is still available from somewhere?