1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

Review Dark World Creations - Judge Death 1/10 bust

Discussion in 'Reviews , Video Reviews and Open Book' started by Tommys War, Jun 20, 2015.

1. Tommys War A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Title: Judge Death
    Manufacturer: Dark World Creations
    Scale: 1/10
    Price: £38.40
    Available from: www.darkworldcreations.com

"The crime is life, the sentence is death"

If you read my review of the Judge Dredd 1/10 bust from the same manufacturer in, then you'd be aware that I was blown-away by the quality of both sculpting and casting of this iconic figure.

Judge Dredd review

Well, before I'd even got by breath back from that release, DWC announced the release of Judge Death, once again leaving me doing a little jig of delight (OK, I'm easily pleased!)

For those of you who don't know your 2000AD (shame on you!) Death is the arch-nemesis of Dredd. Starting life in an alternative dimension called Deadworld as a boy called Sidney he became a psychopath before killing 3 boys at his school who bullied him. From there he became a Deadworld Judge so he could legally kill people, and earned the name Judge Death. Death believed that as all crime was committed by the living then life is a crime.

[IMG]

Using dark magic provided by the Sisters of Death, Death and the other Dark Judges (Death, Fear, Fire, Mortis) travelled to Mega City One to cause havoc encountering not only Dredd but also Judge Anderson is many encounters captured in 2000AD.

[IMG]

On to the figure

If you're familiar with the Dredd review then you'll know that the presentation and casting is first class. The box arrived and was sturdy, all the contents poly bagged and packed with foam. No problems at all.

[IMG]

The casting is the same high quality as the Dredd bust, the detail sharp, no bubbles or air locks. Indeed, its another beautiful cast. There are no casting blocks, these are all removed in production.

[IMG]

The break-down of the bust also follows Dredd, the major joints are separate which allows for quite a dynamic arm position, the head is turned to Death's left with the hand beckoning.

Starting with the parts individually, the helmet is one of the less imposing parts of the kit, however its actually beautifully cast. The detail on the front is good, including the portcullis visor:

[IMG]

But the rear of the helmet is beautifully smooth, really nicely cast.

[Note: if you've just giggled at the words 'smooth helmet' then you have a filthy mind]

[IMG]

The face detail is great, its the skeletal, sneering, hateful face of Death, wonderfully captured:

[IMG]

As with the Dredd kit, the head and helmet slot perfectly in to the body even in a dry-fit with no clean-up:

[IMG]

My favourite part of this kit is the Pterosaur, which is the alternative to the Eagle worn by Earth Judges, this is absolutely stunning, it looks great on its own:

[IMG]

But slots perfectly on to the torso:

[IMG]

Although not shown in these images, the arm fits perfectly and makes the bust very dynamic, the fit of the whole figure is flawless, absolutely perfect.

Opinion

The boys at DWC have done it again. Not only do you get a great figure a wooden base is included with the kit:

[IMG]

Once again, I've no hesitation in recommending the bust. While it clearly is aimed at the 2000AD market, its simply a stunning figure that would be a highlight in anyone's display case.

I know from Rin at DWC that the Dredd bust has sold exceptionally well and Death isn't that far behind it, limited to 100 copies of each I'm just glad I got in early because I think these won't be available for too long.

Of course, now all we need is Fire, Fear and Mortis as busts so I can have a full set of the Dark Judges!

Over to you guys!

Darren
  2. Martin Philpott Active Member

England
    Fabulous review of an awesome looking bust. Great to see such high quality production.

Martin.
  3. Graham A Fixture

England
    What a cheerful chap Judge Death is..... And yes, I giggled at smooth helmet. Not my taste but great review of a stunning looking sculpt.
    Martin Philpott likes this.
  4. Nap Moderator

England
    Hi Guys,

What a great review and a well sculpted and engineered piece ...be good to see a painted version on PF

Thanks for sharing

Nap
    Martin Philpott likes this.
  5. Eludia A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Great review (y)

Just ordered mine today, along with Dredd :)
  6. Zastrow.cuirassier PlanetFigure Supporter

France
    Great review, no my cup of tea (y)
  7. garyhiggins A Fixture

England
    This looks a great kit.Very Dynamic and I like the first rate engineering. Well done (y).
    Best wishes, Gary.
  8. Adrian Cowdry Well-Known Member

Superb looking figure. Dredd and his nemesis are compelling subjects.

I recently finished this bust.

Attached Files:

Tommys War and garyhiggins like this.