1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

WIP Critique Dark Elf Assassin

Discussion in 'vBench (Works in Progress)' started by Bailey, Jan 19, 2015.

1. Bailey A Fixture

United-States
    Here's something a little different... I needed to take a break from all the gold lace details on my Napoleonic project so I decided to put some work into this Dark Elf figure from Scale75. I've been wanting to do some larger scale fantasy figures (the typical 28-32mm stuff is just too small and frustrating) and I thought this one had an interesting creepy vibe to it. I also wanted to try out a couple new things with this project. The first was a super pale skin tone and the second was a slightly different approach to my metals. For the skin I started out with Reaper's Dusky Skin, Dusky Skin Highlight, and Vampiric Flesh. Then I glazed on some layers of reddish purple and blueish purple (2 parts one color, 1 part the other). Normally I'd do some red in the cheeks, some medium purple in a few shadows, etc. But I wanted a little more unnatural look so I shifted things a bit more towards the blue end of the spectrum. The color is subtle and is easier to see in the close up images below.

For the metals I used Scale75 metallics, did some basic highlighting with the metallic colors, and then used inks to build up the shadows. I don't usually mess with inks but I've been unhappy with my grey metals so I thought it was worth a shot. I still need some more practice but I'm generally happy with the result.

As he's a sneaky assassin character, I started out with some dark and dull colors for his clothing. It wasn't my initial plan, but I ended up taking a monochromatic approach to the whole figure. The colors on his clothing are Reaper's Pure Black, Dusky Skin Shadow, Dusky Skin, Dusky Skin Highlight, Weathered Stone, and Leather White. I just switched up the range (some lighter, some darker) to create the different sections. Without much color I decided to add some freehand design work to the clothing for a little more visual interest.

DE20.jpg DE15.jpg DE16.jpg DE17.jpg DE18.jpg DE19.jpg

Here are some close up images so you can get a better look at his face. There's some subtle color in his cheeks, tip of his nose, and knuckles.
    DE11.jpg DE13.jpg

This project progressed rather quickly, but here's a look at how it developed.
    DE22.jpg

Now I need to build a suitable base for the figure. Probably have him sneaking through a building or a back alley. I'm getting together a collection of reference and inspirational images, then I'll try to design and build something with plasticard and balsa wood.
    storm_zh, SPrimeau, Christos and 15 others like this.
  2. kansas kid Well-Known Member

United-States
    Extremely well done, IMHO. And your black and White
    photographs are first rate. Eager to see what kind of
    creative and artistic base you come up with to go with this
    very creative presentation!

The Miami Jayhawk
  3. samson Well-Known Member

United-States
    He looks truly creepy great job. liking this a lot can't wait to see it on a base oh yeah can I ask the scale of the piece ?
  4. Nicolaos Well-Known Member

As I was very delighted with your projects, starting with your Greek Hoplite, I can't wait to see the end of this one too. It's entirelly on my taste, great monochromatic experiment, very expressive face and amazing well looking character.
    Warm congrats,
    Nicolae
  5. Ron Tamburrini A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Understand the break, Hussar uniforms are so consuming :)
    The Elf looks nice too

Ron
  6. Bailey A Fixture

United-States
    Thanks, everyone! This is why I like to do the occasional fantasy piece, so I can try out stuff that would never work on a historical figure.

Samson, it's a 75mm piece.
  7. samson Well-Known Member

United-States
    Wow great work in that size
  8. ChaosCossack A Fixture

Canada
    Really interesting approach to a cool figure... I thought at first glance, the pictures were "greyscale"... then I realized it was the paintjob itself! What a great effect!
    Again, I have my notebook out ;)

Another winner from you Bailey

Colin