1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

D-Day Ranger Officer Bust

Discussion in 'Completed Figures' started by web-one1, Jul 19, 2017.

1. web-one1 Active Member

United-Kingdom
    I was asked to re-fix the head of this bust by a very good friend, sadly I never took any pictures of it before and afterwards. The paint job done back in 1999 by someone else for him but was very very basic as I one plain coat to each area (old style like I did back in the early 1970's :(
    I suggested a slight touch up which he agreed to but at that point I had no idea what I was going to finish like.
    I have no idea of manufacturer, scale (possibly 1/9th ??) or year but I think it's based on Captain Miller in Saving Private Ryan (which I actually worked on Lol).
    The left side of the helmet had a crack in it and before I got to looking at it disintegrated and put me in a panic meaning I would have to re model and work to a higher standard than I ever thought I would do.
    The paint work is mostly Vallejo with some uniform done using Life colour WW2 U.S. set's which were ok but not in my mind as good in covering as the Vallejo.
    I gave over the newly mounted and paint Bust to my friend and to say he was blown away is an under statement :) which is a big boost to my confidence.
    Alan

p.s. still have trouble after 2 years of blending acrylic's on the face after 2 years of trying:unsure: SPR_01.JPG SPR_02.JPG SPR_03.JPG
  2. Sascha H. Active Member

Looking good Alan. Quite effective paint job ;)
    web-one1 and anstontyke like this.
  3. Nap Moderator

England
    Hi Alan

Looks good as for blending do you use a blending medium or retarder/ enhancer/ this will allow you a longer work time ...I use W & N blending medium

Not sure who this is by ..possibly a conversion with the chest webbing ? .....it has a Young's or Warriors look about it

Thanks for sharing

Nap
    web-one1 and anstontyke like this.
  4. Tony Dawe A Fixture

Australia
    Hi Alan

I can't remember who makes this bust, but it was one of the first SPR Busts on the market. I think the Young Miniatures version is a better likeness of Tom Hanks.
    web-one1 likes this.
  5. web-one1 Active Member

United-Kingdom
    Thanks Sasha for your kind comment :)

I did use some retarder on this figure in places Nap but only as an experiment, I think I need more practise blending
    The Assault vest (as it's known in collecting circles) was first seen In Saving Private Ryan but to get it correct for the Tom Hanks character it would need the addition of the M43 folding E-tool on the back

I agree Tony the Young Miniatures SPR bust is a very good likeness although I do prefer the bust with the helmet on ( much like an early post conversion sometime ago on here)

As a small point I forgot to say that the U.S. faded on the back is deliberate as many items were never stamped with heavy bold ink , and my friend was amazed that I had painted the interior of the helmet not in green but pattered like the real liners were.

Alan