1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

WIP Critique Cuirassier 1812

Discussion in 'vBench (Works in Progress)' started by kagemusha, Mar 13, 2013.

1. kagemusha A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Hi all, really not sure if I should give this guy some heavy weathering or, leave as is.
    Would appreciate your views. Difficult piece to get decent pics of, due to the stance, and eyes were a pain as nothing much to work with.
    DSC_0001.jpg DSC_0002.jpg DSC_0003.jpg DSC_0004.jpg DSC_0005.jpg DSC_0006.JPG DSC_0007.JPG DSC_0008.JPG DSC_0009.JPG DSC_0010.JPG DSC_0013.JPG DSC_0014.JPG

Cheers

Ron
    Captain Lol, Richie, Kisifer and 9 others like this.
  2. Gellso A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Very nice Ron. He looks suitably weatherbeaten. I love the shading ans tones of the breeches and the overall tone of the piece.

I might add a wee bit blown snow and a wee bit more weathering as his face looks pretty done in.

Cheers,
    Gells
  3. Tubby-Nuts-REMOVED Guest

United-Kingdom
    Fantastic work!... I feel cold just looking at him!... Totally, agree with Gells, the over-all tone! and shading is wonderful. lots to look at. (y)

Regards,

Mark
  4. smudger1960 PlanetFigure Supporter

United-Kingdom
    Very nice work my friend,if it was my piece i'd definately be adding some snow effects,i'm assuming by the sculpt its a cuirassier from the retreat from russia?

Brian
  5. Funky50 Guest

Looks excellent to me as is .....nice one
  6. megroot A Fixture

Netherlands
    Excellent work. Some more weathering will do him good.
    Time to start mine.

Marc
  7. Ron Tamburrini A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Don't know about adding anything else Ron he gives the impression of hardship as it is ,you have brought this across in your paint scheme,
    if anything only the lightest dusting of snow.

Very nice indeed (y)

Ron T
  8. kagemusha A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Gells, thanks mate, glad you like the overall tones and agree with all suggestions of a little snow.

Mark, really pleased you like him and, thanks for the help you gave me with refs and ideas etc.

Brian, thanks for comment mate, snow it is then. It was my impression also, that he was part of the Russian retreat, so added that to base plaque.

Funky, nice one cheers.

Marc, thanks for suggestion and glad you like him.

Ron T, thanks mate. Will go with a little snow and call him done.

Cheers

Ron
  9. smudger1960 PlanetFigure Supporter

United-Kingdom
    I look forward to seeing it finished ron,the snow will capture the feel of the period,you dont have to go mad,just place the snow on the figure where it would hold naturally,(perhaps - Shoulders / Helmet Peak / helmet fur / top of the saddle blanket (y)
    If you want to go a stage further perhaps some frosting arround the eye brow / moustache areas (y),hope these come in handy for you mate :)

Brian
  10. debrito A Fixture

Canada
    Look good Ron...(y)

What is your feedback on the face sculpting? The eyes seems to be very small for painting a descent eye pupil etc..

Regards
  11. kagemusha A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Thanks for input Brian, points noted.

Hi Debrito, face, as well as everything else is very well sculpted and cast, but the eyes are really only slits to enhance the feel of biting cold. I managed to get a fair idea of eyes in them I hope.

Cheers

Ron
  12. Helm A Fixture

England
    Agreed re a dusting of snow and maybe a degree of rust/tarnishing on the metals ?

Steve
    Gellso likes this.
  13. Gellso A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Good call on the rust, Helm,
    Some subtle rust effects would really add to the despondancy he is already showing.

Gells
  14. Tubby-Nuts-REMOVED Guest

United-Kingdom
    I can understand the tarnish!... but the, proposed, Rust would take quite a while to develop,.. The guy is still alive!.. ish :LOL:... if it did happen, it would be miniscule spots surely?? but even then I doubt it would have had time to develop! The Guys in the Peninsular-War, would have had more issue with this factor, rather than the 1812 lot!...:) as the former was much more humid!... Russia! even the veritable, Brass-Monkeys would avoid!.. more the frozen issues, rather than rusty element.
  15. Ron Tamburrini A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Presume the cuirass is made of mild steel and if so would surface rust on a daily basis if not kept polished
    Ron T
  16. Helm A Fixture

England
    As Ron said the metal would be mild (and probably not a good quality) steel that will rust easily overnight let alone with snow melting and running over it I'm not talking about rotting away just a mild amount a patina if you will (y)

Steve
    Wings5797 likes this.
  17. kagemusha A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Hi Steve, yep, agreed on both.

Ron
  18. Ron Tamburrini A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Im sure one of your scrub coats would do the trick(y)
    Wings5797 likes this.
  19. kagemusha A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Was thinking more of pastels for light tarnish Ron T. Used 'Mr Hobby' metallics, and they don't take oils at all well.
    Looking for pics of snow dusted people at the moment, to get a good idea of how much to use. Maybe a light dusting on the base as well???
  20. Helm A Fixture

England
    Ron if you have enamels try mixing some grey, silver and red/orange for a rust effect not sure how they work on Mr Hobby never used them so you might want a test run

Steev