1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

WIP Critique Crusader Pictures

Discussion in 'vBench (Works in Progress)' started by brian, Dec 13, 2015.

1. brian A Fixture

Scotland
    One of my problems i have always had ,is seeing pictures of figures which have been taken with a digital camera, and seeing the same figure in the flesh, and noticing there's usually quite a difference,some better and some not so good.
    I've attached a picture of the Crusader figure i've just about finished,and could you kind gentleman give me your candid opinion which one you prefer,(if any),as there's one that is the way i prefered to paint him.I'm just curious what you guys reckon.
    Brian

DSC07091.JPG DSC07097.JPG
    Konstantin, peedee, Tarracus and 8 others like this.
  2. Babelfish A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Both look good Brian, but my preference is for the one on the right.

Whose figure is it by the way? I don't recognise it.

- Steve
  3. Grod A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Photography is a dark art to me Brian but I agree with Steve the one on the right looks better to me as it shows the colours up a bit more.
    Nice painting.
    Gordon
  4. billyturnip A Fixture

England
    I also prefer the right hand photo, to me it looks more natural.
  5. Aveleira A Fixture

Portugal
    Hi Brian,

Very good work. I prefer the one on the right.

Regards
    Pedro
  6. brian A Fixture

Scotland
    The figure is by FERminiatures from Spain.
  7. Eludia A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Another vote for the second picture o/

It looks a bit warmer than the first one, that has a definite blue tint to my tired old eyes. Viewed on its own however, I doubt that I'd notice. I'm guessing that they have slightly different white balance settings.

Cracking figure btw Brian (y)
  8. megroot A Fixture

Netherlands
    The right one.
    He has the natural colors, and some difference in them. On the left it looks all the same.
    The left one is darkend with Photoshop to looks good.
    Marc
  9. Nemo Member

Like them both. Photography has gotten easier with Digital but I agree it still doesn't represent the painted work accurately.
  10. Joe55 A Fixture

United-States
    Ditto what Roger (billyturnip), above posted ;) .

By the way, how do you like this figure as far as casting quality, ease of assembly, etc.... I'm about to pull the trigger on getting him with his companion as a set.

Thanks,
    Joe
  11. tonydawe A Fixture

Australia
    I'm going the other way. The photo on the left works for me because its crisper and the blue filter colour makes it feel cold.
    brian likes this.
  12. Mark S Guest

Geez, My eyes are either worse than I thought or you bastards a playing an awful game with me.............The pictures are top and bottom surely not left or right!!!
    Tell me it's true!!
    brian likes this.
  13. Mike - The Kiwi A Fixture

New_Zealand
    I'm with Tony Brian
    Darker, cool colours of top or left hand one.
    Either way it's a lovely artwork, typical of your style.

Can I suggest you pull figure away from background too.
    About 10inches should put this out of focus & emphasise the figure.

You still using Sony camera?

Stay safe,
    Mike
  14. franceso sbarile A Fixture

To me is better the right one, tones look warmer and more realistic.
    Very good paint on a difficult subject.
    Francesco
  15. brian A Fixture

Scotland
    You won't be dissapointed Joe.The casting and fit of parts are first class.My friend has got the other one as well,and they're both outstanding
    Joe55 likes this.
  16. brian A Fixture

Scotland
    Thanks to all you guys who commented,as the one on the right is as close as it would be in the flesh, and the way i wanted him to look ,when i painted him.
    Brian
  17. smudger1960 PlanetFigure Supporter

United-Kingdom
    This is a lovely piece,I've always admired the way you paint Brian,especially dark clothing,not an easy task,but you pull it off so well,another little gem from you,(y)
  18. Viking Bob PlanetFigure Supporter

United-Kingdom
    Getting the white balance in the camera is an art form all on it own, also the light plays its part too. sun light , cloud, light bulbs and strip lights have all variances. Setting the camera up right is the first step, another dark art to master.
    The figure on the left has a blue hue and the right hand figure looks natural
    Either way a beautiful figure. :happy:
    brian likes this.
  19. brian A Fixture

Scotland
  20. brian A Fixture

Scotland
    Hi Mike
    Ill give that a try the next time I get a chance to take more pictures.Ill have to find more space as the camera is on a mini tripod about 2 inches from the edge of the bench I'm using.Yep I'm still using my old Sony 200 7 mbps.Most smart phones have better cameras than that,but I'm so used to using the Sony I'm sticking with it.At least it's not a box brownie!!!
    Mike - The Kiwi likes this.