1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

Creating texture

Discussion in 'Just starting...' started by Wayneb, Nov 25, 2013.

1. Wayneb A Fixture

United-States
    Hello guys,
    Not quite just starting but have a question......working mainly on busts....anyone have any thoughts or ideas RE:trying to replicate wool on some of the clothing.
    Have heard of bad results using Baking soda because of an eventual reaction.
    Any thoughts or experience greatly appreciated..................Wayne
  2. housecarl Moderator

United-Kingdom
  3. valiant A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Wayne - depending on the scale you are working on, try a thin layer of Milliput. Then use thin plastic tube cut at an angle, to impress marks all over the putty, creating many small circles. Then, use an old toothbrush to stipple over the whole thing. Try it on a test area first to get the feel!

hope it helps,

Steve(y)
  4. Ferris A Fixture

Or paint the texture. PF member Vaux does this to great effect. Have a look at his vBench.

Cheers,
    Adrian
  5. Wayneb A Fixture

United-States
    Hello guys,
    Thanks for your all your help,went over to the post Carl pointed me to and that pretty much nailed it for my situation and the piece I'm working on "Over the top" can be seen ModelCellar.
    The piece is a great sculpt but much prep required ,too much to explain......Anyway with much testing and adjustments used the 3m spray mount.....and I'll be dipped in dog doodoo.......It works.......So I got the piece prepped and ready to go.
    NOW.....I've got to make sure my color mix is right for the coat (shooting for a brownish,yellowish,greenish mix) to replicate the English uni of a captain (sorry to say the box art looks too green for my taste(may be wrong).Also considering contrast........................Anyway,because the texture of wool on a 1/9 scale bust is so fine and using acrylics,I've got very few shots at this with washes to get the color right before I loose the texture.......Again,thanks for your input and pray for me...................Best regards to all........Wayne