1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

Completed Cowgirl (Flat)

Discussion in 'vBench (Works in Progress)' started by Glen, Aug 20, 2010.

1. Glen Active Member

United-States
    Howdy all,

I have completed sculpting and painting a flat. This is my fourth sculpt; the first three were practice since I'd never done this before and were not painted. Paint-wise, this is my third flat. The two previous ones were 100mm Crusaders.

The sculpt is Aves Apoxie Sculpt rolled out to about 1mm thick. Once the outline was carved away, I let the putty cure. Some areas - the insides of the coat for example - were carved down to about .5mm, while other areas were built up: the hat brim, lapels, breasts (well, duh...), belts, the waist and leg bands on the bloomers, and the lower half of the chaps. These run an extra .5 to .75mm or so on top of the base 1mm. I used mostly hand tools, sanding sticks, and carved toothpicks and dowels to do the sculpting. It is painted with Reaper Acrylics.

I'm still feeling out this whole process, so questions and comments are welcome.

Cheers,

Glen

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]
    Ulrich, gordy and Drybrushing like this.
  2. Nick Majerus Well-Known Member

United-States
    Glen, This being only your fourth flat, I think that you did a great job with it. The folds in the long coat and chaps are well done. Your painting has brought all of this out even more. The frame also really sets it off too. Well doneand look forward to the fifth flat!

Nick
  3. Meehan34 A Fixture

United-States
    even though flats are the furthest thing from my interest I can appreciate the artistic effort that went into this. I think it is a marvelous sculpt and a great paint job. I'm sure we all want to know one thing. Does she have a sister?

Nice work my man!
  4. Glen Active Member

United-States
    Thanks Nick. Not sure what the next flat will be. I have a 54mm Crusader, a 30mm gaming mini, and an MGB rear suspension re-bush to take care of. I'm thinking about a Gladiatrix, some kind of Goth Dominatrix, or a Mexican Lancera ca. 1835-48. All scantily-clad, or course.

Cheers,

Glen
  5. Glen Active Member

United-States
    Thanks, Mike. No sisters yet I'm afraid. In addition to the above ideas, I've also looked into other Old West-themed pieces as well as some WW II-style nose art sculpts. The nose art pieces aren't replicating any particular historical aircraft, they're just being done in the style. Someone has done some similar flat pieces, but the name escapes me at the moment. I'll probably think of it right after I sign off. Middle-age y'know...

Cheers,

Glen
  6. Glen Active Member

United-States
    Hmmm... apart from the crickets, the silence is deafening. No other comments, questions, rumors, propaganda, or innuendo? :)

I forgot to mention the piece was titled 'Texas Heat'.
  7. Ulrich A Fixture

Germany
    Hi Glen. The little sixpack on her belly is not bad, but in my mind a little to much. And I have some problems with the right eye. It seems that it look up, during the other eye look to me.

But to sculpt the own flats. Really good. I would have some ideas for own sculpts, but I fear that I couldn´t do that.

But perhaps I will try it

Ulrich
  8. theBaron A Fixture

United-States
    I'm impressed, too, I'm trying to learn to sculpt and I appreciate the work that goes into it.

I like your detail, too, but I'll have to say that I think her belly is a bit overdone, too. I think you should check more "references" :D
  9. 1969 A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Glen for your fourth sculpt this is very good and i think you will spot your own errors as you go and you will find you will correct them all in the long run, its a great way to get into sculpting and one day i hope to try my hand at a flat but for now i will stick to my 3d sculps.

Steve(y)
  10. Marcel Active Member

Spain
    Glenn great job for a fourth sculpt! And excellent paintwork.
    Looking forward to your next flat.

Cheers,
    Marcel.
  11. megroot A Fixture

Netherlands
    Glenn,
    I always admired the sculpting and painting of flats...it's something really different.
    Painting flats!!! I tried it once..
    You doing both in a very, very good way...
    My advice: go for the flat's you have it in your fingers.
    Painting on this one is good.
    The sixpack with the girl, i shouldn't sculpt it just paint it. Then it is not so deep. The upper muscle (from the six pack) is upside down. The flow is with the curve of the breasts.
  12. Glen Active Member

United-States
    Thanks everyone! Every bit helps. You all are right about the abs. Though not sculpted (they're simply painted in), they're too much. Even my wife wondered what I was thinking. More research is in order - and it's always fun doing research.

The eyes are uneven, both in level and gaze. Sometimes you notice it right away; sometimes it comes to you later. More precise measuring is in order. I also need to work on proportions. Both the abs and the eyes were on my list of goofs.

Although not readily apparent in the pics, I also have some issues with tiny, stray bits of putty and tool and sanding marks. More attention to detail is needed.

I have more flat ides in the pipeline; including some busts. Despite false starts and 'do-overs' I really enjoyed doing this and I'm looking forward to doing some more.

Thanks again for the comments!

Cheers,

Glen