1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

Cossack bust sculpted by Matt Springer

Discussion in 'vBench (Works in Progress)' started by kansas kid, Nov 16, 2009.

1. kansas kid Well-Known Member

United-States
    Here are pictures of a Wehrmacht Cossack bust from Chris Mrosko’s New World Miniatures that was sculpted by Matt Springer. I just moved recently and I can not find the original box with the scale. But I believe it is 200mm, if memory serves, as it was some time since I worked on it.
    The bust is very well sculpted to Mr. Springer’s usual high standards and released in grey resin. I only found a few air bubble holes on the underside of the bust that were easily filled with Aves ApoxySculpt two part putty. Then some light sanding over the puttied holes to get everything flush.
    Altho I started painting figures over four years ago — being a plastic model builder since 1965 — I really have had a lot of trouble getting to an acceptable skill level, even though I was a newspaper artist during my working life, and have a Bachelor of Fine Arts from Kansas University. I’ve been retired for over seven years. And to speak candidly, I haven’t progressed to the level I aspire to. I still have a great problem with doing flesh tones, as is evidenced here, but plan on continuing to work at it, in hopes of improvement. Previously, I put the base tones in with acrylics and then painted with Winsor Newton artists oil paints over that. For me it is easier to blend the oil paints than it has been to learn how to work with the transparent layering process of acrylics. But my intention is to learn how to work exclusively with acrylics, as they are so fast — especially when I use a hair dryer to speed up the drying of layers. And the clean up is much easier, and without odor as in contrast to oil paints solvents such as terpenoid, terpentine, and mineral spirits. I have used odorless Terpenoid, although it is rather expensive.

This Matt Springer bust is my first figure painted exclusively with acrylics.
    Incidently, my figure painting work has renewed my interest in painting with oils on canvas, and I enjoy that aspect as another way to express my creativity. I feel the figure painting has helped my canvas work, and visa versa.
    I know that a lot of beginners peruse this and other similar sites, so I try to go into detail about brand names and try to be as specific as I can. I don’t think it is wise to assume that all the readers understand all the lingo we use. But perhaps that is part of my newspaper background remembering to answer the five “Ws”.
    Your comments and critical suggestions are welcomed. And thank you for taking time to look at my work.

Miami Jayhawk

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]
    :)
  2. pmfs A Fixture

Portugal
    Hi Rick,

great job in this little Russian.
    Congrats:)
  3. kansas kid Well-Known Member

United-States
    Hey there, Pedro. . .

Hello Pedro, my friend.

So good to hear from you. Thank you for taking time to comment, as well,
    :):)

Jayhawker
  4. 1969 A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Good to see you post this one mate and i personally like this one and think you managed the blending of the acrylics well. I really like the choice of eye colour and its nice to see something other than blue. Nice work mate and you will reach that level you aspire to as you keep learning and improving with every figure.

All the best young man :)

Stevo
  5. kansas kid Well-Known Member

United-States
    Hi there Steve. . .

Hey Ho there Steve:

Thanks for taking time to post, and for your encouraging words. I owe you
    an e-mail, mate. And hope to take care of that today.

Hopefully, you will be posting some images of your WIP work on the 5 figure
    diorama you're now working on. I'm sure the members would love to see
    what you're doing, right? :rolleyes::rolleyes::)

Mijami Jayhawker
  6. 1969 A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    I might get some pics uploaded soon mate and post something .

All the best mate,

Steve
  7. mil-mart A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Rick, great painting for 1st full acrylic, wish mine came out as good. Nice skin tones and I like how you've managed to highlight the not so prominent fur on the collar.

Cheers Ken
  8. kansas kid Well-Known Member

United-States
    Sorry Ken, didn't see this until today. . .

Hi Ken:

Whoa Nellie, I am sorry I'm responding rather late to your encouraging
    remarks, Ken. Most appreciated. I'm still really fighting flesh tones, altho
    I don't have as much trouble with a large scale, i.e. a bust in 200mm or
    250mm. The 120mm figures are still such a struggle. It makes me respect
    and admire you and the other super painters on this site even more.

It ain't easy. . . :mad::mad::(:eek:
  9. unknown01 New Member

Japan
    Hello, Rick.
    Great work indeed.
    I liked your fresh tone and an expression of a uniform very much.
    I'm also looking forward to a work your next time.

Mitsutaka
  10. tonydawe A Fixture

Australia
    Excellent painting Rick. That's one to be proud of.
  11. kansas kid Well-Known Member

United-States
    Thank you Gentlemen. . .

Greetings Gentlemen and thanks for taking a look see.

Mitsutaka: I appreciate your kind remarks and really enjoy looking at your
    very skilled work here on Planet Figure.

Tony: Thank you, Sir for the encouragement. Now if I can just find the right
    base for it. . . :)