1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

WIP Corporal John Shaw (2nd Life Guards 1815)

Discussion in 'vBench (Works in Progress)' started by John Belcher, Dec 9, 2014.

1. John Belcher A Fixture

New_Zealand
    I decided make a figure of Corporal John Shaw of the 2nd Life Guards at Waterloo 18th June 1815 with the 200 anniversary of Waterloo coming up next year.
    I am just in the early stages of sculpting the figure and horse. I have used several Historex horses halves to produce the recoiling pose and in the process of re sculpting the neck. I used a 2mm plastic shim to pack out the width of the horse , with Historex horses being quite thin.I have started the horse furniture but am trying to find more information on that. For the figure I have used the Airfix collector series Life Guards helmet,but have carved it back and hollowed it out with quite a bit of re sculpting being started ,for the legs I have used the Airfix Life Guards legs for the basic shape and carved them back for re sculpting to look more natural and fit to the saddle. I have managed to find some reference on the Life guards of 1815 but if anyone out there has anymore good pictures of the Life Guards at Waterloo and their horse furniture it would be much appreciated,I want to make my figure as accurate as possible
    John Shaw joined the 2nd Life Guards in 1807 at the age of 18 years as a private, he was a large man of the time just over 6ft tall and 15 stone. Through his education and good conduct he was quickly promoted to corporal (a rank in the Household Cavalry equivalent to sergeant). Shaw’s fame arose from another quarter. Before joining the Life Guards Shaw had boxed and defeated a much larger man, and received encouragement from the Legendary prize fighter James Belcher who was present at the event . Shaw made his make as a boxer very quickly and even defeated the celebrated American boxer Molyneaux.
    It is at Waterloo June 18th 1815 that I have decided to create my figure of Corporal John Shaw. Close to The farm House of La Haye Sainte where The British Life Guards clashed with the French Cuirassiers is where I have portrayed my model of Corporal John Shaw. With Shaws upper body strength as a boxer and enormous stature he could wield his heavy cavalry sabre swiftly, it is reported of Shaw to have been seen slashing and hacking so rapidly that he unsaddled no fewer than nine Cuirassier ,or at least that’s what was said after the battle.But as he fought,a Cuirassier withdrew a little distance from the melee,raised his short carbine and shot Shaw off his horse. Shaw managed to drag himself to the the wall of La Haye Sainte were he died of loss of blood.I hope my figure will pay some small tribute to this brave British soldier.
    DSC09902 (480x640).jpg DSC09903 (480x640).jpg IMG_7734 (640x480).jpg DSC09885 (480x640).jpg DSC09875 (480x640).jpg 1st life guards (406x640).jpg 1-2 LG at Waterloo 4.jpg 1-2 LG at Waterloo 5.jpg
    MCPWilk, malc, winfield and 35 others like this.
  2. Daniel Østergaard New Member

Looking realy good:) how did you fit the historex helmet?
    John Belcher likes this.
  3. Tonton Well-Known Member

United-Kingdom
    Great stuff. Good to read the details of corporal Shaw’s part in the battle, too.

Jeff
    John Belcher likes this.
  4. m@rp Active Member

Belgium
    Hi John,
    I like the way you do the conversions with green stuff.
    As always you make a great job
    Pascal
    John Belcher likes this.
  5. pgarri27 Well-Known Member

United-States
    watching with great interest. I like your subject. It is looking good so far.
    John Belcher likes this.
  6. smudger1960 PlanetFigure Supporter

United-Kingdom
    Love it john,the sculpting looks great,looking forward to following this one (y)
    John Belcher likes this.
  7. megroot A Fixture

Netherlands
    Very, very good work so far.

Marc
    John Belcher likes this.
  8. arj A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Your sculpting has achieved a very dynamic pose.
    Looking forward to seeing this progress.

Andrew
    John Belcher likes this.
  9. Zastrow.cuirassier PlanetFigure Supporter

France
    Bery dynamic pose. I really like !
    John Belcher likes this.
  10. clrsgt A Fixture

United-States
    Great idea and tribute. I like the dynamic pose you achieved with your sculpting. Will follow your progress closely.
    John Belcher likes this.
  11. billyturnip A Fixture

England
    John Belcher and Eludia like this.
  12. Eludia A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Good find Roger, I enjoyed reading the story :)
  13. Marco22 A Fixture

France
    great start !
    John Belcher likes this.
  14. billyturnip A Fixture

England

I workmate of mine lives nearby and told me about it Billy, it's nice to see Shaw being depicted in miniature.

Roger.
    John Belcher likes this.
  15. ivopreda A Fixture

Italy
    It's really a good job. Well. Done
    John Belcher likes this.
  16. Eludia A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    True, I'm looking forward to watching this progress. Looking good so far John (y)
    John Belcher likes this.
  17. Chris Mortimer Active Member

New_Zealand
    Hey mate, looking great. You have done a lot since I last saw it. Thanks for the Background info and pics. All saved for later. Love the idea of a tribute for the 2ooth anniversary esp of such a brave heroic fella.

Can't waith to see more,gotta get my thinking cap on now......
    John Belcher likes this.
  18. ellie A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Nice work indeed looking forward to seeing the end result well done so far.

ian
    John Belcher likes this.
  19. John Belcher A Fixture

New_Zealand
    Thanks Daniel, I used the Airfix collectors series Life Guard helmet. I hollowed it out and used a spare historex head which i had to cut back the top of the head to fit into the helmet.I am re working both the head and helmet, I use a mixture of Duro epoxy putty and Aves epoxy sculp.
    Regards,John
  20. bucsfan21 Well-Known Member

United-States
    John, Nice job on a subject near and dear to my heart-Waterloo! I will look forward to following your progress. Thanks for sharing.

Happy Holidays, Terry Martin-Member of the AMFS:)