1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

WIP Corporal 2nd Warwickshire .

Discussion in 'vBench (Works in Progress)' started by Richie, May 27, 2013.

1. Richie A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Hi All,
    Here is my latest conversion from the Verlinden 120mm North & South figure range the "Charge". I am converting him into a Corporal from the 24th Regiment of Foot from the Zulu wars.
    CIMG5897.JPG

Again I liked the running pose on this figure so thought it was prime for a conversion. I started by sculpting a full set on the face from Milliput and also tweaked the hair a touch. I have put a basic shape undress Glengarry on the head, but the shape needs some tweaking.
    CIMG5889.JPG CIMG5893.JPG CIMG5894.JPG
    I have added the cuff detail from fuse wire, a belt from lead foil (no buckle made yet), a basic set of gaiters have been added but still a bit of work to on these.

The original figure had an open jacket so by the time all this was cut away there was a fair bit of filling to do. I have started oversculpting the tunic but still a way to go. I'm also going to alter the trousers were they meet the gaiters. The Confederate rifle was replaced with one of Reedees Miniatures Martini Henry's.

All critique and comments welcome.
    cheers
    Richie
    CIMG5905.JPG CIMG5888.JPG CIMG5891.JPG CIMG5898.JPG CIMG5900.JPG CIMG5901.JPG CIMG5902.JPG CIMG5904.JPG CIMG5900.JPG
    Mike S., crf, Aveleira and 13 others like this.
  2. billyturnip A Fixture

England
    Another great bit of converting Richie!
  3. Richie A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Hi Roger,
    Thanks mate, making the most of the bank holiday. If your coming along on the 14th I might have this completed to undercoat stage so will bring this along and the other two recently converted.
    cheers
    Richie
  4. billyturnip A Fixture

England
    Nice to see you've spent the long weekend well Richie. Bring them along please I'd love to see them.
  5. Wings5797 A Fixture

France
    WOW you really are in conversion mode Mate!
    Great work yet again Richie. I like the pose with so much of the body weight in front of the supporting leg, brilliant.
    Your additions; glengarry, beard, gaiters and jacket are now a given to be spot on.
    Are you keeping these pieces as single figures or do you have great plan for a huge diorama.
    Good stuff my friend.
    All the best,
    Keith
  6. Sturm Grenadier Well-Known Member

United-States
    Hello Richie, I like how this conversion is coming along. Great work on the beard, really changes the face expression. Also, excellent choice of figure for converting, its one of the best action poses from the Verlinden line. Best of luck with this project Richie, interesting subject. Regards, SG:happy:
    ChaosCossack likes this.
  7. Richie A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Hi Keith,
    Cheers mate, it was the pose that I was drawn to first. I think he might end up on a piece of sloping ground? as if he's charging down Isandlwana. It will be a stand alone figure I think.
    She won't let me have a diorama, I don't think she objects so much to the 24th lot, but she dammed if she's going to have 20,000 Zulu's running about the place aswell.:facepalm:
    cheers
    Richie
    Wings5797 likes this.
  8. Richie A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Hi SG,
    Thanks for looking in mate. I know Verlinden figures have generally had their day compared to recent sculpts available, but there is still some great figures, especially for converting and that certainly includes the mounted range. Your only stopped by your own imagination.
    cheers
    Richie
  9. Babelfish A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Have to agree. They are a very mixed bag with quite a few prize turkeys in the range, but there are still a few decent-to-half-decent figures in among 'em. It's a shame that Verlinden haven't bothered to up their game to keep pace with the 'young turk' companies who have emerged in recent years.

Great project by the way, and I look forward to seeing the end result.

- Steve
  10. valiant A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Looking good, Richie - if its half as good as your drummer boy conversion, should be a cracker!

Steve
  11. Russ5281 Member

United-States
    Looks good! Nifty idea.

Russ
  12. Richie A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Hi Steve, thanks for looking mate, glad you like my conversion.

Hi Steve, thanks for the continued support mate, if it turns out like the drummer I'll be over the moon. I've just remembered I have a poignant piece for the base that I was given from one of the lads at D.M.M.S. it's a piece of rock from Isandlwana that I'm going to mount the figure on.

cheers
    Richie
    Steve and Wings5797 like this.
  13. Richie A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Hi Russ,
    Thanks for looking in and the comment. I like to try and make unique pieces.
    cheers
    Richie
  14. smudger1960 PlanetFigure Supporter

United-Kingdom
    Looks like another very good conversion Richie,look forward to watching this progress mate :)
  15. ChaosCossack A Fixture

Canada
    WOW Richie you've had quite the explosion of energy... Three major conversion inside two weeks. I really like where you're going with this one. The pose of the base figure is awesome and I think with your conversion work this will be a very dramatic piece.
    The Idea of basing it on an actual piece of battlefield rock is very cool.

Now you have THREE you need to put colour on

Colin
  16. kagemusha A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Well mate, what can I say that hasn't already been said, oh yeah.....rubbish :hilarious:

Very nice work indeed my industrious little chimp................did you get clamp sorted mate?

Cheers

Ron
  17. Grod A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Top stuff Richie.
    Gordon
  18. Kevin D. Well-Known Member

United-States
    WOW what a great idea!!!! Looking forward to seeing its completion!!!!!!!!!!

kevin
  19. Richie A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Hi Brian - Thank you. If I can paint it with a battle field look I will be very happy, I will cetainly take inspiration from your 28th Foot ensign.

Hi Colin - Thank you, I'm making the most of this constructive period and I though I might as well use the rock, as my wife said "what do you want that piece of old rock for":facepalm:. Hope to get the same mojo for when the brushes come out.

Hi Ron - Yes the chimp has been busy and not monkeying around. As for the clamp thank you, yes I got sorted and ordered one straight away.

Hi Gordon - Thanks for looking mate and the thumbs up.

Hi Kevin - Thanks for looking in glad you like my little attempt. Loved what you did with your Zulu warrior by the way.

Thanks again, I will post in a few days when I have made some significant progess.
    cheers
    Richie
  20. smudger1960 PlanetFigure Supporter

United-Kingdom
    Thanks Richie for your kind comments,im chuffed that one of my pieces was an inspiration to you,that means a lot to me :happy: