1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

Review Continental Marine from Ellie's Miniatures

Discussion in 'Reviews , Video Reviews and Open Book' started by Nap, Apr 16, 2017.

1. Nap Moderator

England
    Hi to one and all

The subject of this review is from the company called Ellie's Miniatures run by the respected fellow Ian Burton and assisted by his daughter Ellie ( hence the name!!) .

Producing interesting subjects and using top sculptors and painters for the box art we have been treated to figures and busts from the AWI and the Franco-Prussian in particular , with the display stand at shows being a pleasure to see ( they will be at Euro Miniature Expo in September )

There is a series covering a very popular period of history with currently 4 available and with this release making the 5th ( with others coming soon ) .

Obviously the uniforms and subjects are important but the main focus of this series is to show the variation in head wear worn during the conflict

The release was announced here and on social media

http://www.planetfigure.com/threads...6-bust-ready-to-ship-ellies-miniatures.88349/

With the box art here

http://www.planetfigure.com/threads/box-art-for-the-continental-marine-1775-ellies-miniatures.91109/

The release being this:
    A Continental Marine from the AWI

z1aaa.jpg

Lets have a bit of background to the Continental Marines

November 10, 1775:
    Robert Mullan, then proprietor of the "Tun Tavern", received word that he was commissioned by an act of the "Continental Congress" to seek out volunteers for the formation of the first two Battalions of Marines, which would be under the direction of Samuel Nicholas, who had been duly appointed the first Commandant of the Continental Marines by the Continental Congress.

November 28, 1775:
    In just under 3 weeks, the two Battalions had been raised, and it was at that time, that Samuel Nicholas was officially appointed "Captain of the Marines" (the 1st Commandant). The "Continental Marines" enter the Revolutionary War.

The Marine eagle globe and anchor Marine Corps Emblem
    [IMG]
    The history of the Marine Corps emblem is a story related to the history of the Corps itself. The emblem of today traces its roots to the designs and ornaments of early Continental Marines as well as British Royal Marines. The emblem took its present form in 1868. Before that time many devices, ornaments, and distinguishing marks followed one another as official marks of the Corps.

In 1776, the device consisted of a "foul anchor" of silver or pewter. The foul anchor still forms a part of the emblem today. (A foul anchor is an anchor which has one or more turns of the chain around it). Changes were made in 1798, 1821, and 1824. In 1834 it was prescribed that a brass eagle be worn on the hat, the eagle to measure 3 1/2 inches from wingtip to wingtip.

In the early years numerous distinguishing marks were prescribed, including "black cockades, "scarlet plumes," and "yellow bands and tassels." In 1859 the origin of the present color scheme for the officer's dress uniform ornaments appeared on an elaborate device of solid white metal and yellow metal. The design included a United States shield, half wreath, a bugle, and the letter "M."

During this period a green broadcloth was used to make the uniforms with the facings being white in 1775 and being changed to red in 1779 with the green being changed to a dark blue at a later date .
    z000.jpg
    zzzz.jpg
    z00.jpg zzzzz.jpg zzzzzz.jpg zzzzzzzzz.jpg
    The marines have been featured on stamps in the past as well :
    zz.jpg and on Corps magazines: z.jpg

References are readily available and all make interesting reading and good additions to the book shelves

z0zzz.jpg z0000.jpg z0z0.jpg z0zz.jpg zzz.jpg z0000000.jpg z000000.jpg z00000.jpg z0.jpg zzzzzzz.jpg zzzzzzzz.jpg

Continued in next post

Nap
    Dewi Evans, ellie and anstontyke like this.
  2. Nap Moderator

England
    Lets move onto the resin

Title: Continental Marine 1775

Series: American War of Independence

Reference: N/A

Scale: 1/9th

Material: Lt Gray Resin

No of pieces: 1

Sculptor: Pavol ( PF Member Offo )

Box Art: Gerrard

Initial thoughts

I knew this was a one piece casting so was intrigued as to how it would cast especially with the cap depicted ....well I can honestly say the casting is TOP NOTCH so well done there .

The undercuts on all the belts are very sharply done with overall definition being as good , the casting has really brought out the skill of the sculptor

My purchase was arrived quickly and on opening I found the brim broken ...however I contacted Ian and with much speed and haste a replacement was sent quickly with no concern...I have to say that the communication and customer service that I received was a credit to Ellie's ...WELL DONE

The packaging was in a bag with bubble wrap around it , held in a cardboard box with aslip over surround , on the review piece a unpainted version was on the top with a nice bit of quote ..." Your painting adventure begins here" ..how very true .

marine 001.jpg

Prep

I hunted high and low on the torso and could find nothing whatsoever to do , paying particular attention to the cap a slight and I mean slight sanding was needed at the back of the cap rim ...it took about 15 seconds!!

The surface is really smooth with no blemishes whatsoever

Then a quick wash and dry to remove any casting residue and away we go .

The Bust

As you can see its a one piece casting so I will have just the full bust to share with you .
    marine 002.jpg marine 007.jpg marine 006.jpg marine 005.jpg marine 004.jpg marine 003.jpg
    Wearing the cap held up at the side on the models left , the thing to note here is that the scale of the brim is excellent , very nicely done with edging being clear in definition.

On the side we have a rosette again a very good sculpt on this part .

The facial features are something that the sculptor achieves with skill adding character to the piece and that is what a bust is all about IMO

The features are excellent , good eye definition and despite the brim easy to get to for painting , even un painted a determined look is evident , the chin is strong and chisel like , ears are good with the hair sitting on the tops and moving down the back to form a pony tail , again the hair is nicely shown in texture.

The neck area has his shirt collar sitting over his neck stock , all very naturally doe with good folds being in place
    marine 010.jpg marine 009.jpg marine 011.jpg
    Across his body we have a total of 3 belts , one having the buckle the other plain , a thinner one running over the right shoulder ...all have excellent undercuts and very well sculpted ...all making painting so much easier and a pleasure.
    marine 008.jpg
    There are folds on the jacket naturally done and not overworked .

This is a classic style of a bust and I must admit I like it lots ,

Final thoughts

This is a fine addition to the series from Ellie's and a really good choice as well , very well sculpted with excellent casting , there are of course the facing colours option but this could easily be reworked to other units in the AWI .

Very highly recommended

Lets have some pictures of the unpainted

z1.jpg z1a.jpg z1aa.jpg

For more details on this and other products why not visit the website at:

www.elliesminiatures.com
    0AAA.jpg
    ,o

Of course you can also follow them here and on FB

I look forward to getting the next release , worth noting also that there is a 3 and 4 package offer on the website ...great value .

Here's the 3 together and with the 4 next ...WOW !!!

1.jpg z1aaaa.jpg
    Thanks to you all for looking in

Happy modelling

Nap
    Chrisr, swralph, Dewi Evans and 5 others like this.
  3. ellie A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Hi Nap

glad you like him, very good review, the cheques in the post LOL !!!!

Thanks for posting the books I have most of them but a couple that I will be looking out for.

Cheerrs

Ian

www.elliesminiatures.com
    Dewi Evans and napoleonpeart like this.
  4. Wings5797 A Fixture

France
    Thanks for a great review Kevin
    Thanks for a great sculpt Palo
    Thanks for choosing a great period in history Ian
    Cheers Guy's
    Keith
    napoleonpeart and ellie like this.
  5. ellie A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Wings5797 likes this.
  6. Tommi A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Nice review Nap and good to hear that you liked the castings

Cheers
    Tommi
    Wings5797, napoleonpeart and ellie like this.
  7. Bootneck Well-Known Member

Great review of a great bust that is turning out to be a great series.
    Well done to all involved including you Nap!

Peter.
    ellie and napoleonpeart like this.
  8. ellie A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Cheers peter, have you started yours yet mate looking forward to seeing what you do with it buddy.

cheers

Ian

www.elliesminiatures.com
    Bootneck likes this.
  9. swralph A Fixture

Great review Nap:).
    napoleonpeart and ellie like this.
  10. bucsfan21 Well-Known Member

United-States
    Nap, Great review of a colorful subject! And excellent paint job on the Continental Marine! Thanks for sharing! And a great addition to the Rev War line. A Morgan's Rifleman and a Hessian would be great additions...
    (y)

Terry Martin-Member of the Atlanta Miniature Figure Society
    napoleonpeart likes this.
  11. ellie A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Hi Terry the next one in the range is a 1st Rhode Island then a Queens rangers so we will be getting around to the Germans very soon.

cheers

ian

www.elliesminiatures.com
    Bootneck and napoleonpeart like this.